Unknown, Peace River, Bone Valley Member

alej9582

Guys (and Girls),

I know I have seen a specimen similar to this one somewhere but cant remember where... Can  you guys take a look?

Thanks

Alex

F55.jpg

F56.jpg

F57.jpg

This looks like a well-cemented finely conglomeratic sandstone. Look at the fine parallel bedding that occurs over part of the stone that is especially noticeable in the far right of the third photo where you can see a little fine gravel on top. The faux bone texture in your macro photo is where the fine gravel/coarse sand fell out leaving many vugs.

F57.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hey guys, I'm gonna throw out another option but I can definitely see the options you are proposing...

I'm thinking its actually another very worn bone fragment--probably silica replaced...could be that dang really dense dugong stuff or from something else...I've seen some similar wood pieces with banding/growth layering but from that porous looking section on the one side in the last photo and the faint banding on the other side I throw out bone fragment for discussion...

5b95ade83b7d1_bonebanding.jpg.23ec04a674624a4bbacecb99445fe145.jpg

Regards, Chris 

The bands are so close together and evenly spaced that I thought wood. Wood could rot or be damaged in many ways before fossilizing, and might account for the porous looking area.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

2 hours ago, Innocentx said:

The bands are so close together and evenly spaced that I thought wood. Wood could rot or be damaged in many ways before fossilizing, and might account for the porous looking area.

Here's a couple of pieces of bone from that formation that I think I showed in another thread somewhere.. Zoom in on the 2nd photo and you'll see subtle banding and bone structure...I'm wondering it that can be same in the unknown...

5b95dc8c497cf_Dugongbonecrosssection3.thumb.jpg.0fbd52083dcfaaece14e32b7e463f271.jpg

5b95de719a13f_Dugongbonecrosssection.thumb.jpg.9e1485488a32f2d8c89232684dcdd945.jpg

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
trying to add additional photo
  • I found this Informative 3

Under the scope I ruled out quartzite and sandstone. I originally thought worn out tooth fragment but saw the porous side and kind of crossed that out. Hardness test agains quartz shows it is way softer. Bands look like dugong but it is too porous. Shall we call it unknown sp.? :wacko:

I have never seen the detailed banding of a dugong bone. I think that is what it might be.  I think that I now see where the banding curves upward to the left  in the right side of this photo. 

F57.jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

11 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

curves upward to the left  in the right side of this photo. 

The curve is very slight, but I saw it. I didn't know dugong bone had this banding so @Plantguy is most likely right. Chris, is this replaced with material that's different than what you're used to seeing for dugong?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

2 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

The curve is very slight, but I saw it. I didn't know dugong bone had this banding so @Plantguy is most likely right. Chris, is this replaced with material that's different than what you're used to seeing for dugong?

Here is an example of anotherone I have which is Dugong. Note the Banding. 

83E62293-FA9A-4041-A8EA-077DA54CE755.jpeg

190FBB37-D93D-416E-A129-E6546224B90A.jpeg