Arizona Pennsylvanian Coral

DPS Ammonite

The corals from the Pennsylvanian Naco Formation in Arizona have not been officially described partly because many are silicified and have lost internal details. Any idea what these corals are with central columns that are vertically striated? Their average length is 2 to 3 cm. I think that they look like Lophophyllidium.

Thanks,

John

IMG_0569.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I was told to label the similar looking ones from Texas as Lophophyllidium proliferum. I heard that to be sure you need to have a look inside for other details. I'll ask Dr. Ben Neuman his opinion since he has been having a closer look at these. He is cutting into some for a look at some feature he identified as helpful.

• I found this Informative 2

I agree with Bob Will

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

All these silicified fossils are fascinating.

Is the matrix limestone? If so, have you tried dissolving some in acid? I've had luck doing so with HCl/muriatic. See:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/30498-some-pennsylvanian-gastropods/&

and

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/33865-adventures-in-microscopy/&do=findComment&comment=377885

Context is critical.

I got this email reply from Dr. Neuman. I'm trying to coax him into joining the forum:

Corals are tough, and like you said on the forum, there will need to be some sectioning to know for sure.  These look pretty well preserved - I bet they have plenty of detail inside.

Most likely these belong somewhere in Lophophyllidium.  L. proliferum is Missourian and so far only certainly from Illinois, though it may have spread.  I read somewhere that this formation is probably Desmoinesian - does that sound right?  If so, we need to compare to some of the earlier species.

There may be up to three species there - the bottom two seem similar but different from the top one, and the one that is on its side at the back is probably different based on looking more cylindrical, if I am seeing it correctly.  

Need to see more pictures of them all lined up in side view, or all with the tips stuck into something so we can see right down the cup, if he can do that.

We also need a measurement - what is the diameter at the top?  Diameter per number of septa is helpful in separating them.

My guess for the bottom two is something like L. newelli.  The top one is tougher since it is missing the top of the cup, and not sure about the one that is sideways.  

If the original poster has a decent number of non-precious specimens, it would be fun to section them and find out who they are.

Benjamin Neuman

Chair of Biological Sciences
STEM 318G
Texas A&M University-Texarkana