Jump to content
FossilsAnonymous

Tooth ID

Recommended Posts

FossilsAnonymous

Hello. I found this tooth today at Matoaka and wanted to get a different perspective than mine. This tooth seems way old for the Choptank formation. First, it seems like a Paleocene tooth snuck in to a Miocene formation. To me, it seems more like otodus obliqqus than hastalis. Reason? Cusps. My tooth has more pronounced, albeit worn down cusps than any I've seen on hastalis. All i'm trying to say is that it is very different and uncommon and would like to know what it is.

 

Tooth.

IMG_3151.thumb.jpg.2e19ae35ad5936ab9a8e2b665e6a6b51.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Can you try and take a better pic? This one is too blurry. I can see what looks like small cusps but a better pic would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaleoNoel

I doubt it's otodus just based on location, it could be a lateral hastalis or mako but I'll defer to others on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Can you try and take a better pic? This one is too blurry. I can see what looks like small cusps but a better pic would help.

Sure. My device is being funny at the moment so it may take around ten minutes while I fix it... Stand by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous

@Darktooth here you go.

 

IMG_3160.thumb.jpg.1efacadd588f767e53267365727feb9e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

Sone Carcharodon hastalis teeth do have pronounced cusps, particularly the smaller ones.

And I think it is a C. hastalis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Brightened and Cropped:

 

IMG_3160.jpg.a7c6945261da2bffc92af0e8536c926a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoppeHunting

I second C. hastalis. Otodus teeth typically have a sort of bourlette (as seen in all teeth of the megatooth shark lineage) and larger cusps in relatively to the whole tooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

I agree with the Mako assessment. I have one with cusps, though they are quite small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
10 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I agree with the Mako assessment. I have one with cusps, though they are quite small.

 

10 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

I second C. hastalis. Otodus teeth typically have a sort of bourlette (as seen in all teeth of the megatooth shark lineage) and larger cusps in relatively to the whole tooth.

 

11 hours ago, ynot said:

Sone Carcharodon hastalis teeth do have pronounced cusps, particularly the smaller ones.

And I think it is a C. hastalis.

Thanks. I had heard rumors recently of people in the area actually finding older teeth that slipped down from a different formation. Of course I forget bourette:doh!: but thanks all for helping out. It turned out to be a nice tooth in the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×