Allin69

I have found a couple of these I scotia, ca. This one was completely covered with sandstone and shell, etc. Does anyone have. Idea of what it could be

15440288297425526754889613443143.jpg

I have found a couple of these I scotia, ca. This one was completely covered with sandstone and shell, etc. Does anyone have. Idea of what it could be?  

Sorry, this app does allow multiple pics

15440291411623228383800101563521.jpg

4 minutes ago, Allin69 said:

Sorry, this app does allow multiple pics

Welcome to TFF!

There is a 3.95 megabyte limit per post. You can add more pictures in a reply to thread.

If it still gives an over limit flag, try refreshing the page.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

You have a fossil Pliocene/Pleistocene Sand Dollar, probably a Scutellaster. Prep might reveal what species.

See: https://www.google.com/amp/s/californiafossils.org/2016/06/29/scotia-bluffs/amp/

https://www2.humboldt.edu/natmus/get-outside/fossils/Geol-Fossil-Guide.pdf

• I found this Informative 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Looking at the bottom?

Yes. There's no sign of petals and the surface is flat, not convex.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You have a fossil Pliocene/Pleistocene Sand Dollar, probably a Scutellaster. Prep might reveal what species.

See: https://www.google.com/amp/s/californiafossils.org/2016/06/29/scotia-bluffs/amp/

https://www2.humboldt.edu/natmus/get-outside/fossils/Geol-Fossil-Guide.pdf

Without the star pattern or petals in the center, How can you tell it's a sand dollar?

image.png.1b0b2fb49c730e49a172508b29114d89.png

looks like a sand dollar to me also.

E5.jpg

E4.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

Without the star pattern or petals in the center, How can you tell it's a sand dollar?

Experience.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

Your answer does not help me learn.

Sorry, bad attempt at humor.

When someone has collected 1000s or 100000s pieces then it is easier to identify the structures of any given item.

IE learning the structures of a sand dollar from all sides will help You to identify the fragments of them.

Looking at the pictures that Herb posted I can see a five fold symmetry and some other distinct features.

Here is why I think that it is a sand dollar. First I know that they occur in that area of California which I support with literature and photos of fossils found in the area. The sand dollar genus found in Scotia is the same one that I have collected from the similar aged Merced Formation south of San Francisco. Secondly, the size and shape describes a sand dollar. Concretions of that exact size and shape from Scotia that were not sand dollars would be unlikely. The sand dollars in the Merced Fm. are often covered in sand (just like yours) nearly covering all details. Note the whitish crushed shell underneath the sand. Sand dollars crush because they are mostly hollow. Experience helps ID your fossil. Further research of literature might reveal more than one genus/species from that area. Occam's Razor suggests that the simplest solution is often the best.

John

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

17 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is why I think that it is a sand dollar. First I know that they occur in that area of California which I support with literature and photos of fossils found in the area. The sand dollar genus found in Scotia is the same one that I have collected from the similar aged Merced Formation south of San Francisco. Secondly, the size and shape describes a sand dollar. Concretions of that exact size and shape from Scotia that were not sand dollars would be unlikely. The sand dollars in the Merced Fm. are often covered in sand (just like yours) nearly covering all details. Note the whitish crushed shell underneath the sand. Sand dollars crush because they are mostly hollow. Experience helps ID your fossil. Further research of literature might reveal more than one genus/species from that area. Occam's Razor suggests that the simplest solution is often the best.

John

Yeah, that too!:D