ThePhysicist

NSR Unknowns

ThePhysicist

Hey yall!

These are a couple of items that were found in the North Sulfur River that I am uncertain about what they are. 

One appears to be bone, but has a rather porous and bubbly side and a flat and smooth other side. The other looks to be enamel, possibly from mastodon??

Thank you!

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

ynot

Not sure about the first piece, but the second is a piece of agate (not fossil).

BobWill
47 minutes ago, ynot said:

Not sure about the first piece, but the second is a piece of agate (not fossil).

It does look like some forms of agate but that would be very rare at this site. More likely something with calcite parts.

DPS Ammonite
10 minutes ago, BobWill said:

It does look like some forms of agate but that would be very rare at this site. More likely something with calcite parts.

I have seen several pieces of translucent microcrystalline quartz (agate) from NSR. Most were petrified wood of unknown age.

Anomotodon

First one is a turtle scute fragment, second - I agree with @NSRhunter, is a mammal tooth fragment.

ynot
5 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

I agree with @NSRhunter, is a mammal tooth fragment.

I have seen a lot of agate that looks just like this piece, have never seen a tooth that has that much translucency, or that rough of a surface.

I still say the second piece is an agate.

BobWill
2 hours ago, ynot said:

I have seen a lot of agate that looks just like this piece, have never seen a tooth that has that much translucency, or that rough of a surface.

I still say the second piece is an agate.

It may be. A hardness test will confirm that. @ThePhysicist

NSRhunter

I'll post pics later of my examples from the Sulphur River :)

ThePhysicist

thank yall!

BobWill

@ThePhysicist could you test the hardness of the translucent portion?

garyc

i'm in the mastodon tooth frag camp for the second one.

ynot
14 minutes ago, garyc said:

i'm in the mastodon tooth frag camp for the second one.

What characteristics make You say that?

ThePhysicist

I took some more closeups of the agate/enamel. The hardness is about 6.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

ThePhysicist

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

garyc
On 12/31/2018 at 6:08 PM, ynot said:

What characteristics make You say that?

With the new pics, I’m not so sure. I was basing my opinion on the whitish edge that is very characteristic of mastodon enamel. Now I see there is a lot more of the whitish translucency throughout the piece. Also, when I posted previously it was New Years Eve and I’d already started celebrating!!

Scylla
24 minutes ago, garyc said:

With the new pics, I’m not so sure. I was basing my opinion on the whitish edge that is very characteristic of mastodon enamel. Now I see there is a lot more of the whitish translucency throughout the piece. Also, when I posted previously it was New Years Eve and I’d already started celebrating!!

:yay-smiley-1:happy new year.

I thought the first one looked like alligator or croc scute.

KimTexan

The first piece I cannot verify turtle. @JarrodB could tell you as well as @Foshunter.

What it looks like to me is the partially phosphatized material I find in the dark gray crumbly clay of the red zone. That stuff is loaded with phosphatic material. Sometimes I find these pieces of stuff. It is light gray, pitted and amorphous. I don’t know the name for it is, but I have concluded it Is partially phosphatized and didn’t turn black. I have found baculites where one end was phosphatized and the other end is what I just described. It is softer than the phosphatized material and is almost always pitted.

Most of the turtle I see in the NSR is smooth, not pitted. Gator and croc scutes are pitted.

This is NSR turtle material.

DF09A2BC-AA74-4D92-91C8-250908C38517.thumb.jpeg.a421a619818dff2295e15d4e5dddcf8b.jpeg

Other side.

541088C1-A974-4ED8-98AC-47D11BB8E820.thumb.jpeg.ca4aa95a68e7aa2972f4db243892fc0d.jpeg

Not to say there isn’t another variety of turtle out there. 

There is definitely chalcedony of some variety that is abundant in the NSR. Petrified wood is a common fossil found that is preserved in chalcedony in the NSR. I’ve got lots of it.

I have also found quartz a few times. Once as in beautiful druzy form. I don’t know if it is a tooth fragment or not, but it sure looks like a form of chalcedony to me.