Unprepped Keichousaurus

jdiaz55

Hi all, I've been searching the internet pretty thoroughly the last few weeks, checking everywhere multiple times a day to find a low-quality keichousaurus to practice prepping on, (knowing that 95% of specimens are fabricated or heavily restored) and I think I may have found one. The price is so reasonable that I really don't care whether or not it's partially fake or restored, as it will make a decent display or even a gift if it turns out to be 100% fabricated.

So I suppose I'm wondering how much of this specimen looks fabricated, and if it would even be possible to attempt an air abrasive or acid prep for this guy? How rare is it to fabricate or even partially restore a keichousaurus that's still mostly covered in shale? 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

jdiaz55,  That would be a highly unlikely scenario. Faking a keich, then burying it in fake shale would be double work and less money in return. You have a real McCoy.

• I found this Informative 1

This specimen has been discussed here before. It is a perfect one to practice on. I am of the opinion that the head and some of the neck are composited, others feel the impression of a head and neck below the actual head and neck is more natural in origin. Regardless, it is certainly all real and, as I said a great practice piece. Good luck. Are you going the acid route?

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, steelhead9 said:

This specimen has been discussed here before. It is a perfect one to practice on. I am of the opinion that the head and some of the neck are composited, others feel the impression of a head and neck below the actual head and neck is more natural in origin. Regardless, it is certainly all real and, as I said a great practice piece. Good luck. Are you going the acid route?

Wonderful, I'm so glad to hear that! I've had my eyes peeled, it's too bad I don't also have a couple of broken pieces to practice on. 

Well I have an air abrasive system, so I imagine using that would be more satisfying and fun to complete, but that being said, I am open to suggestions! Again, having two of these (one to practice with the air abrasive one and one with acid) would be nice.

Thoughts?

I looked and don’t have any old, bad keichousaurs. I strongly recommend 50 micron aluminum oxide at low psi (I use around 30 psi on my comco). Be extra careful around the toes as you can blow them right off very easily. You could prep half of this specimen with abrasive, coat the bones heavily with consolidant, then do the other half with acid. That would give you a good idea how each method would work on the same specimen. 

29 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

I looked and don’t have any old, bad keichousaurs. I strongly recommend 50 micron aluminum oxide at low psi (I use around 30 psi on my comco). Be extra careful around the toes as you can blow them right off very easily. You could prep half of this specimen with abrasive, coat the bones heavily with consolidant, then do the other half with acid. That would give you a good idea how each method would work on the same specimen. 

That's a good idea, thank you! Where would you purchase smaller quantities of aluminum oxide?

Do you mean half of the specimen, as in doing the upper half with abrasive and the lower half with acid (or vice versa), or start with abrasive, go over the whole thing until a little bit of bone is exposed across the whole skeleton, consolidate, and then continue with acid?

What kind of acid (and how to dilute it) would you recommend?

Edited by jdiaz55
Added question

Yes, I meant do the upper half one way and the other half the other way. I buy my abrasive directly from comco. I’m not sure if you need an account to do that(I do). If they won’t sell it directly to you, I am sure they can tell you who will. I am nearly out and will be ordering 25lbs soon. It comes in 5 lb bags. I’d be happy to sell you one of those if you can’t get it elsewhere. I would start with acetic acid (vinegar) at about 10% acid to water. Some people use formic acid. I have used a dilute solution of muriatic acid, but it’s pretty strong.