Sara: The World Traveling Ceratopsian

caldigger

I don't recall seeing anything from Jay for a while.  Likely extremely busy. 

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

While we wait for a time when we can send Sara to her next destination, she has been entertaining us with stories of her adventures so far,

IMG_20200223_214217.thumb.jpg.d7e6151d0bac046275965de384d502fa.jpg

Although she is hesitant when it comes to the  local theropods that lurk in my room.

• I found this Informative 6

Sara is on her way to meet me in Illinois for a very not tropical spring break. Pit 11 opens Sunday, so hopefully she can sniff out a Tully Monster or two for me :fingerscrossed:

• I found this Informative 7

4 hours ago, connorp said:

hopefully she can sniff out a Tully Monster or two for me :fingerscrossed:

I think she is more inept at sniffing out vegetation, so ferns might be more her forte'.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 2/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, connorp said:

Sara is on her way to meet me in Illinois for a very not tropical spring break. Pit 11 opens Sunday, so hopefully she can sniff out a Tully Monster or two for me :fingerscrossed:

Good luck Connor and have fun with Sara. Tell her we miss her here in Northern California 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, connorp said:

How did things go with the Tully hunt?

She may not have mentioned it, but Sara doesn't mind you strapping a pack on her back so you can haul out some extra bucket loads from the pits.

Were there a lot of visitors digging while you were there? My only concern is that you are keeping her safe from this nasty Covid-19 business. :unsure:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

How did things go with the Tully hunt?

She may not have mentioned it, but Sara doesn't mind you strapping a pack on her back so you can haul out some extra bucket loads from the pits.

Were there a lot of visitors digging while you were there? My only concern is that you are keeping her safe from this nasty Covid-19 business. :unsure:

Sorry for the delay, the last week has been hectic. I will post some pics of our adventure in the next few days.

Sorry for the delay again. This virus ordeal has made the last two weeks pretty crazy. Sara and I did make it out for two trips though. Both times we went to Pit 11 to search for Mazon Creek fossils. We spent time in the Tipple area, an area that was fairly ravaged by mining runoff. There's very little vegetation in these areas, and since Sara was pretty hungry the whole time, she had to sniff out some nodules that hopefully contain some nice plants to eat.

IMG_8109.thumb.JPG.627cc8cfe6b7b29fea88049e1937b1e0.JPG

IMG_8079.JPG.5a084cb7fb326998f2456bcf58f661cd.JPG

Here she is with her first nodule of the day.

IMG_8077.thumb.JPG.fd318082c0c89e9480cd6ef1e4ea89f3.JPG

She was able to find a few already opened nodules, including a jellyfish, a bivalve, and some plant material. She also found a few nice pieces of pyritized wood.

IMG_8108.JPG.425bf16b0ad61bafcc4e3f5754335459.JPGIMG_8099.jpg.e045617a27d11adc9351bd69840892a6.jpg

All in all we had a pretty good time. Sara has definitely become quite the fossil hunter through her stays with the rest of you.

• I found this Informative 6

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, connorp said:

@will stevenson you are up next. That said, I didn't know if we wanted to put this on hold (like the rolling auction) for the time being?

Don’t worry, keep it on hold for a while, I’d rather you didn’t visit the post office and risk getting covid 19 than me recieve it a month sooner;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll bet you're having trouble finding Sara enough cabbage with all the grocery rationing going on.

At least she doesn't require toilet tissue!  :default_rofl:

Hope you all are staying healthy out there.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

bet you're having trouble finding Sara enough cabbage

:heartylaugh:Cabbage is the only thing we’re not short of in my store!

• 3 weeks later...

@will stevenson In light of today's news I did some checking and it looks like I can actually drop off Sara in one of our USPS mailboxes, so I wouldn't have to go to the post office. I didn't think this could be done with international packages, but apparently it can. If you want to receive Sara next, PM me your address and I'll send her out. If you are being careful and not receiving packages, we can probably come back to you later. Let me know either way, I'd love to get the ball rolling on this again if everyone is okay with that.

• I found this Informative 8

On 3/30/2019 at 8:47 PM, caldigger said:

Add your name to the list if you want to play. Members that have already recieved Sara will check their name off the list as we go.

Please contact the next member going up the list for their shipping information.

https://flask.io/Vo8Y4p1Bspho

For reference:  Doren's list link above

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 13.4.2020 at 12:40 AM, caldigger said:

Hope you all are staying healthy out there.

Seeing that this sentence was literally his last one in this topic hits hard. Now it reads like a last goodbye. :(

But it's good to see that there are still a lot of people on the list. And for everybody else: Feel free to add your name to the list. 

I can remember that he stated in one of his PMs to me (back when I gave him my adress) that he would love to see Sara visiting as many TFF Members as possible. 

Let's make this come true until the journal is full :)

• I found this Informative 4

12 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

Seeing that this sentence was literally his last one in this topic hits hard. Now it reads like a last goodbye. :(

But it's good to see that there are still a lot of people on the list. And for everybody else: Feel free to add your name to the list. 

I can remember that he stated in one of his PMs to me (back when I gave him my adress) that he would love to see Sara visiting as many TFF Members as possible. 

Let's make this come true until the journal is full :)

An evertravelling ceratopsian.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I'm just after @Al Tahan.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

13 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

I'd love to join if still possible, how could I add my name? :) 

Thanks!

i hope to receive it soon and keep the ever travelling ceroptasian going, in memory of doren i will put something extra for when it hopefully returns to where it started, i had an interesting idea, open to suggestions on it, in accordance to what i believe was his favourite fossil, shark teeth, i think it would be nice if (of course only if you wanted to;)) everyone put a shark tooth on in the shape of his name, i am just unsure what to use as the base as it would have to be durable

On 4/29/2020 at 5:16 PM, will stevenson said:

i hope to receive it soon and keep the ever travelling ceroptasian going, in memory of doren i will put something extra for when it hopefully returns to where it started, i had an interesting idea, open to suggestions on it, in accordance to what i believe was his favourite fossil, shark teeth, i think it would be nice if (of course only if you wanted to;)) everyone put a shark tooth on in the shape of his name, i am just unsure what to use as the base as it would have to be durable

Hi Will, the Sharktooth project is a neat idea. I thought it would be interesting to know that sharkteeth were not really Doren's favorite fossil. I thought they were, until I made a comment to him about it in a PM. He told me that sharkteeth were what was most available to collect in his area. He never got specific as to what his favorite type of fossil was. Just said vertabrates in general. That being said, he had one heck of a sharktooth collection! He sent me pics, I was very impressed indeed.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

57 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

hat being said, he had one heck of a sharktooth collection! He sent me pics, I was very impressed indeed

He was an all round fossil collector, he did have a fantastic ammonite collection and mammal collection too with some beautiful Elephantidae teeth.