Sara: The World Traveling Ceratopsian

caldigger

With a bit of a cold snap setting in, indoor time has provided an opportunity for convivial conversation. snolly has been greatly impressed with Sara's erudition. Topics have chiefly centered on Sara's wonderful travel experiences with Forum members. However, a consistent theme arose reflecting her deep concerns about the condition of our Earth. Unfortunately, in an effort to complement; snolly referred to Sara as "perhaps the most well-informed Triceratops ever..." She quickly cut this off; informing snolly that while a Triceratops was a noble cousin; she was a aristocratic Styracosaurus. She subtly suggested that snolly would be well served to further educate his ape brain.

So, a quick reference to basic information from the Wikipedia was sought and is shared here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styracosaurus

The minor faux pas by snolly was soon forgotten when Sara suggested that snolly read Song of the Dodo by David Quammen and snolly produced his cherished, dog-eared copy. Common ground was established and Sara was delighted to learn of the work of Joel Sartore and enthusiastically viewed the report of it here on the Forum. She insisted that a link be put on this page. So here it is.

The discussion of extinction made snolly a little uncomfortable, given Sara's ilk. She obviously sensed snolly's unease and softly said, "Don't worry, I'm OK. Here read this. It's one of my favorite poems. It was even written by one of you ape creatures. It's titled "Fossils."

fossilspoem.JPG.73bde83873a8eaa967d14f55b3c1e378.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

What was the skunk after he took a nice soapy bath?

He was "ex-stinked"!    :default_rofl: 

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

What was the skunk after he took a nice soapy bath?

He was "ex-stinked"!    :default_rofl: 

Now that's a good groaner if I ever did read one :P

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Now that's a good groaner if I ever did read one :P

Unforgivable, really. :shakehead:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Today, as usual, was a busy one for the snollywife; and even snolly himself had matters to address. So, Sara was left on her own for most of the day. Said she did not mind and would just relax and enjoy the sights of the house and grounds. Upon his return, Sara confessed to snolly that she spent much of the day at leisure - resting in her wallow and munching cabbages. snolly had noted an additional bushel of cabbages was missing from the garage; but he was too polite to mention that. Sara did report that she spent some time viewing more artifacts on display inside. snolly was charmed to learn that Sara had taken selfies with some of the objects. She was very pleased to hear that the photos she took would be posted on the Forum.

Here she is, with some Oaxacan wood carvings. snolly has a mild obsession with collecting those objects.

DSC_0956acz.thumb.jpg.02681a659e3bbda95f0b2b534ec6acf2.jpg  

Next, she enjoyed viewing a plate with a large Mioplosus, prepped by snolly.

DSC_0957acz.thumb.jpg.b69dfb1341ab154049bba899384b075f.jpg

On a high shelf, she spotted a wooden carving of a Humpback Whale; that was carved by snolly from a rough cut blank.

DSC_0933acz.thumb.jpg.4f140786f1f8f35657ce88fe397b5c69.jpg

snolly was touched that Sara took a few moments to commune with some of his long ago ancestors.

DSC_0958acz.thumb.jpg.4b6bbec0533e3c6847d867b54964b166.jpg

Another pleasant day. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

17 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

snolly has a mild obsession with collecting those objects

Mild obsession....mild obsession....hmmmm... seems like quite the oxymoronic term to me. My obsessions tend to be far from mild. Maybe you are doing them wrong? :)

Glad Sara is settling in for her visit. As part of her stomping around the place we are getting quite the tour of the palatial Château del Snolly. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

mild obsession....hmmmm...

Ken, Shhhhh, I have to kind of minimize my fascination with those carvings. If Kathy finds out how much they go for nowadays, I'll never have another. It's best to keep my interest on the down low. 

Sara is getting the full tour here. Her stay is extended by a little, as her next host is away at the moment. She will be moving on to Tx in a week or so. I understand there may be some Mosasaur hunting in her future!  

19 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

She will be moving on to Tx in a week or so. I understand there may be some Mosasaur hunting in her future!  

I seem to remember she and I having a lengthy conversation that included if she were to ever go on a Mosasaur hunt she would be sending some of her finds back to her original host in California. :P

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 hours ago, snolly50 said:

snolly was touched that Sara took a few moments to commune with some of his long ago ancestors.

DSC_0958acz.thumb.jpg.4b6bbec0533e3c6847d867b54964b166.jpg

Another pleasant day. 

:thumbsu: it's super cool that you can trace back the history of your family and you have such awesome old pictures. It's something that I have always wanted to do - some digging in genealogy, but still didn't really get down to it. I really like the pictures :)

@snolly50 I really love your caving collection the Mexican pieces and the humpback is stunning. I am enjoying seeing Sara stay in your home.

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

I seem to remember she and I having a lengthy conversation that included if she were to ever go on a Mosasaur hunt she would be sending some of her finds back to her original host in California. :P

Perhaps that was the original understanding...but...well, dinos can be fickle and Sara is having such a wonderful time in SC...and, uh, snolly is such an attentive host... 

16 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Perhaps that was the original understanding...but...well, dinos can be fickle and Sara is having such a wonderful time in SC...and, uh, snolly is such an attentive host... 

I taught her to share.  I'm sure there are a few articulated Mossys in line for you.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 hours ago, Kasia said:

it's super cool that you can trace back the history of your family and you have such awesome old pictures. It's something that I have always wanted to do - some digging in genealogy, but still didn't really get down to it. I really like the pictures :)

Thank you, we are fortunate to have the distinct linage of my Dad's family back to the progenitor arriving from Ireland in 1767. The pictured folk are from my Mom's line and the history is less well known. They are descendants of immigrants from Moravia who settled in NC. The lady is my grandmother's grandmother. The bearded gent (who looks a bit like snolly, but with more hair) was a POW during this country's most horrific trial, the American Civil War. As you may see by the condition of the frames, they are as old as the photos.

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I really love your caving collection

Thanks Bobby, it's nice to hear that your artist's eye appreciates the pieces.

37 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Thanks Bobby, it's nice to hear that your artist's eye appreciates the pieces.

Snolly could I see your carved preying mantis . Cheers Bobby 

50 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

could I see your carved preying mantis

Sorry about the image quality. The lens I had mounted is not ideal for this type of shot  and, well...I was too lazy to change it. I hope this gives you an idea of the piece.

DSC_0962acz.thumb.jpg.b8a55cadf29af54f23c4a43b3fd0045c.jpg 

I'll be back in Texas in one week and look forward to taking Sara on epic adventures. 

It ain't all roses!!!!

snolly spent a fitful night, his sleep disrupted by odd, nonsensical dreams. In one dream he found himself in an amusement park that featured an elaborate, sliding board. At the end of the slide, patron's descent was softened by a gigantic Whoopee cushion. The resulting rude sounds added to the carnival atmosphere of the attraction. 

As gray dawn crept, snolly awakened from his restless night and realized he did not hear Sara. Typically at this hour, she would be loudly snorting and chomping cabbages. snolly went to the window and peered out. Sara was still in her wallow! This was not normal. Hastily dressing, snolly made his way to the back deck. Upon opening the door, he recoiled from the miasma, a reeking witch's brew of methane and hydrogen sulfide gases. Eyes watering, he drew his shirt's neck over his mouth and nose in a vain attempt for relief. "Yikes, it smells like a cross between a farrowing house and a stockyard," snolly thought. Alerted to snolly's presence, Sara raised her head and gasped, "snolly, I've got a terrible tummy ache. Those cabbages are too rich!" Her words were punctuated by a most threatening rumble of borborygmus. The tiny reasoning, scientific portion of snolly's mind opined; "small wonder, she's got a multi-galleon fermentation vat in her gut." Sara continued, "I need, I need..." "Not to worry," snolly interrupted. "I know just what you need. I'll be right back!" Seizing the opportunity to breathe free snolly ducked back inside and prepared to zip off to the pharmacy.

His preparations were halted; as he imagined his snooty neighbors, stepping out of their McMansions, sniffing, and immediately dialing their predatory lawyers on their infernal smartphones! In a small effort to gain time he hastily printed some signs and plastered them at various points about the property. He hoped this effort might serve to stave off the ire of the Department of Health and Environmental Control should they be summoned before this crisis was resolved. 

danger-2222967_1280.thumb.png.913a9f9ddab0f58feb7ba03f3f76fa92.png

A quick trip to Walgreens scored a case of Pepto-Bismol. Exiting the pharmacy, snolly was relieved to see that the morning sun had stirred a nice breeze. This would certainly serve to ameliorate the immediate environmental crisis. Arriving back home snolly poured the pink glop into a large bucket and mercifully found Sara standing and looking a little less ill. He proudly presented the nostrum. Sara shook her heavy head, "That's not what I need! I need rocks!" "Rocks?" exclaimed a baffled snolly. "This is no time to collect souvenirs!" "No, you dense ape boy, they are for my stomach," Sara responded, testily. "Oh, gastroliths," snolly exclaimed. "I happen to have several in a bowl on the sun porch. "Used ones," Sara happily said. "That's great. I will not have to wait for them to smooth and start grinding optimally."

On to the sun porch and Sara gulped them down with ease. "I'll just stick to eating the soft greens out of the lake for the next couple of days and everything will be fine," Sara beamed. Crisis averted.

DSC_0937acz.thumb.jpg.fe907356f758418ffcfbc1214544372c.jpg

Whew! Crisis averted. World travels always involve a bit of drama from time to time. If it's being televised, that drama is usually 'written in' before the trip even starts. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

5 hours ago, digit said:

travels always involve a bit of drama from time to time

Oh my, your comment reminded me of a couple of days as a victim of tourista in Mexico City. Fortunately, it quickly resolved and the stay was memorable for good reasons.

20 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

a victim of tourita in Mexico City. 

I get no hits on Google for the term "tourita" so I am going to assume it is a slang term for problematic bowels.

I spent several weeks driving through Mexico city and Mexico's outback ( Yucatan Peninsula) in the mid seventies. Eating stuff from God knows where from people literally stepping out of the jungle to sell it on the side of the road.  Never had a single problem. 

Of course I'm a bit older now and my body probably wouldn't stand up to the same abuse it did when I was younger.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I get no hits on Google for the term "tourita" so I am going to assume it is a slang term for problematic bowels.

I spent several weeks driving through Mexico's outback in the mid seventies. Eating stuff from God knows where from people literally stepping out of the jungle to sell it on the side of the road.  Never had a single problem. 

Of course I'm a bit older now and my body probably wouldn't stand up to the same abuse it did when I was younger.

Check out 'tourista' or 'turista'. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

26 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Oh my, your comment reminded me of a couple of days as a victim of tourita in Mexico City. Fortunately, it quickly resolved and the stay was memorable for good reasons.

Maybe some limestone gastroliths might have helped. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Check out 'tourista' or 'turista'. :)

It's true, my ham hands omitted the "s" as I typed. I have corrected it so as not to appear entirely foolish. One small quibble with Adam's post; a "smiley face" is in no way associated with that term.

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Maybe some limestone gastroliths might have helped. 

:heartylaugh:Unfortunately I don't possess the elaborate digestive tract needed for that nostrum to prove salutary.