Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

He looks happy.  :)

IMG_8900.thumb.jpeg.0074dfe5d9965a9209e8e88565913d9f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, Roger! :) 

They are a lot of fun to prep. And, as odd as it sounds, I also really like the scent of this matrix when scribing.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

48 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

"Free at last!" Mr. Wideload exclaimed. :D 

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Now it sort of looks like Jabba the Hutt. :oO: 

screen_shot_2018-05-11_at_11.39.17_am.png

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Thanks, all! :) 

While I had the tools running, I moved on to Asaphus punctatus. These ones take a bit more care because you don't want to accidentally knock off their tower-like eyes. This one also had a bit more sticky, stubborn calcite to deal with. 

IMG_8894.jpeg

First step is scribing it all out. Abrasion is swapped in around the eyes to see the curvature better before scribing again. Assuming a trilobite will always be perfectly symmetrical is the recipe for mistakes. 

IMG_8902.jpeg

And then finishing touches. I still need to do a better job blowing out some of the dust, but this is straight from the bench. There's also a bit of erosion/pitting on the rim of the pygidium, but I'm happy with it. :) 

IMG_8903.jpeg

IMG_8904.jpeg

IMG_8905.jpeg

• I found this Informative 12

4 hours ago, Kane said:

And, to my credit, not a single scribe ding on the shell, which is a great first for me when prepping the Russian bugs. This might be a shelf-sitter. 

You are right. Those are some real shelf-sitters, but I hear your new shelf is already full of flats. Not to worry. I have a perfectly empty shelf ready and waiting. Go ahead and send them my way! :P 

Only kidding of course!

They do look rather lovely. All thanks to your growing skills as a prepper. Not even a scribe ding on the first one. Well done Kane! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

These are incredible, I enjoy watching how these bugs come back to life.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Nice job Kane!!  I wonder if you are purchasing your unprepped trilobites from the same source I am....?

Snuck in another one before the wave of paper-grading cometh. 

This one had lots of problems -- pitting, leeching, etc. Not exactly premium grade-A of a specimen to prep, and I discovered later that three pleural tips were simply not there. These illaenids take a bit more finesse than the average asaphid. 

IMG_8897.jpeg

And done:

IMG_8910.jpeg

IMG_8908.jpeg

IMG_8909.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Another wonderful trilobite

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thanks, gents! :) Always a pleasure to come away from the bench with a completed bug. :trilo:

@Malcolmt -- It doesn't look like a healed injury, since the edges are sharp. As I was abrading the covering matrix, there was no trace of those pleural tips at all. Not even a displaced trace from a fracture. The only thing I can think of is that it might have been sustained before death. It certainly wasn't an impatient scribal error!

• I found this Informative 1

22 minutes ago, Kane said:

The only thing I can think of is that it might have been a very recent injury before death.

Maybe the cause of death? We will never know, but it makes for an interesting conversation starter. 

While the bug isn’t grade A, it’s still grade A prep work! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Great work @Kane Prep skills looking good!

I would say the missing tips look pre-burial. That adds interest to the bug I think.

Thanks, all! :) 

Fresh off the bench, Asaphus cornutus. This one took a bit longer because, of course, sticky calcite. 

18C130C6-9381-4BAF-86BF-DDB08C66FD80.jpeg

D9D491BE-30E3-4F24-889C-185A2E97D48C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 1

This one had loads of problems, including having well over 75% covered in the kind of calcite that seems glued on, and not so amenable to either scribing (carefully) or dolomite abrasion. But it is another wide load Asaphus latus, partially enrolled. 

79F13B6B-FA0F-4155-9CE9-D895BCA7832A.jpeg

85FF56A4-DA2C-49EC-B56B-A2D9B7577EA8.jpeg

154C31DF-FA60-484F-AF2C-3912E1C87F40.jpeg

F9A00C91-0856-4B3B-BC7F-18770C844B40.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

You're getting good at this, my Friend. 

Despite the sticky calcite, you have done another wonderful job of exhuming this trilobite from it's sedimentary coffin. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Another excellent prep Kane! I love a fossil with a potential story to tell and so like this one’s partially enrolled stance. Almost as if he sensed the end was near and tried to take cover, but didn’t quite make it.

Thanks, gents! Despite a few challenges along the way, these are enjoyable to prep. :) 

And this is the last of the Russian crew, Asaphus punctatus. 

4CCF333A-F8F9-4289-9D1E-5AA563CBF829_1_201_a.jpeg

77A28215-79A6-4DC2-998B-46A36711258F_1_201_a.jpeg

4E128E09-43CE-40E8-BFB5-2215DB35A731_1_201_a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7