Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

1 minute ago, daves64 said:

Yup.. you did indeed mention it. It's right there ^^^^^^ :chuckle:

Like the tortoise & hare story, Slow and steady wins the race.  But.. I don't think any of us can wait to see it finished, so..... :b_wdremel:

I'm on it, so don't stuff yourself too quickly on the popcorn. :D I've no work until July 22, so I have two weeks to do nothing but this prep. :) Slow and steady, for sure!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looking a lot better than when you showed it to me in the Thornley oasis the other week. I think I told you at the time that that bug was going to take a lot of hours to prep..... Trilobite prep adversities are put there to make us come out the other end all the stronger!!!!!!!! If it was easy everyone would be doing it....

• I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Looking a lot better than when you showed it to me in the Thornley oasis the other week. I think I told you at the time that that bug was going to take a lot of hours to prep..... Trilobite prep adversities are put there to make us come out the other end all the stronger!!!!!!!! If it was easy everyone would be doing it....

Well, I always listen to my elders like you and KB when it comes to how to approach a prep. :) None of it would have been possible without the patient advice of those like yourself.

That looks incredibly difficult but you know its gonna look great once its finished. I'm loving all these trilo preps across the forum and it sounds like you will be busy, Yay. Its waited about four trillion hours, what's another 50?

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

7 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

So you implying that I am old an senile..... 

Nahhh.. (although I know you sometimes have difficulty with directions :P ). 

The Thornley School of Preparation has had many good graduates. Not all of them pay the deserved tribute to their alma mater. Just know I am not among the negligent. ;) You know you are the reason I prep. I would be nowhere without all your help and advice over several years... and I still have so much more to learn.

Thanks, Kris! You're an inspiration, for sure. :) I love reading the humble origin stories of our greatest prep folks around here... starting with drywall screws and steak knives before gradually upping the tool quality. I have a prep friend who still has his first ever prep done with hand tools and a Dremel engraver. Despite it looking a bit rough, he wouldn't sell it for love or money. Decades later, he does some of the most phenomenal work I've ever seen.

A good number more hours into it. Tough to see with all the dried glue and dust, but top of the eyes are uncovered. I was a bit worried that the glabella was terminating... but thankfully it is just stepped down / inside from a fracture. That uncovered bit of glabella is what I call a "breakway" moment in the prep. What that means is I can follow it and make more obvious progress. 

DC596207-46EE-402B-AC81-029CD7F2B1E5.jpeg

58FDEA91-D87A-44A4-B5AC-5947B7319769.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

On 7/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, daves64 said:

Like the tortoise & hare story, Slow and steady wins the race.  

Hmmm.

I didn't have access to a hare but have made repeated experiments with Tidgy and rabbits.

The rabbits win every time. :shakehead: Rabbit.gif.173d40413aaec37dc409440f6c9fc46f.gif

Edited by Tidgy's Dad

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hmmm.

I didn't have access to a hare but have made repeated experiments with Tidgy and rabbits.

The rabbits win every time. :shakehead: Rabbit.gif.173d40413aaec37dc409440f6c9fc46f.gif

Maybe so, but which one is going to live longer and which one may become rabbit stew?

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

Maybe so, but which one is going to live longer and which one may become rabbit stew?

Some of the bunnies did indeed end up as dinner and Tidgy has a good number of years ahead of her, I should expect. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Man what an Isotelus! It’s going to be a monster once you finally get it out of the matrix. Can’t wait to see it fully exposed! :trilo::b_wdremel:

Keep up the great prep Kane. All your long hard work will be worth it in the end!

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks, Wayne! :) I'll see how far I can take the scribes today. Taking far longer than I anticipated, removing a few centimetres per day. :default_faint: 

And this is where the prep ends. The big ME-9100 died (and it was getting pretty dull), the PT Aro stalls every few seconds even with a new spring, O-ring, and oil, leaving only the fine Pferd with way too much left to remove. :(  

CB0542DE-658A-44AB-9004-EC34BC8356CF.jpeg

Well.. we knew it was going to be a killer trilo, but I didn't think it was literal. :fear:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

18 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Well.. we knew it was going to be a killer trilo, but I didn't think it was literal. :fear:

Well, I spent an hour fiddling with the big scribe, and it works again. Now I need to buy some diamond rasps to sharpen it since it is about as effective as a plastic knife to cut overdone steak. :oO:

The cephalon is long and cuts deep — and still far from done. It’s already 8 1/4” long and 5” wide. Some compaction to work around carefully, and calcite stickiness on one of the cheeks. 

Anything close to the shell is done with the Pferd as it imparts low vibration.

0BAC1EF2-F881-4A66-9918-0E47A6AFD0F4.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Glad it's up and running again. 

Would diamond rasps be expensive? 

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

10 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Glad it's up and running again. 

Would diamond rasps be expensive? 

I was just checking online for flat rasps of different grits, and they seem relatively cheap... I'd prefer to go to the local hardware store, so I'm hoping they'll have them in stock!

• Enjoyed 1

I would think they would be relatively easy to find at a decent hardware store. I put my stylus in a pneumatic rotary tool and spin it against the rasp rather than attempting to do it by hand. That way you don't have to worry about the point being off center. Good luck and great work so far.

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Well, I spent an hour fiddling with the big scribe, and it works again. Now I need to buy some diamond rasps to sharpen it since it is about as effective as a plastic knife to cut overdone steak. :oO:

Like these? https://www.amazon.com/diamond-files/s?k=diamond+files

Status report since I've been doing nothing every day for over a week but try to prep Bubba. It's a bit bigger than I thought. I'm including a diagram from Rudkin and Tripp to show what is uncovered, and what is left to go as it digs deep into the rock. The freed area is within the blue line. Still a ridiculous amount of matrix to scribe off, and particularly where the cheeks become almost vertical. The white patches are dried glue, which get abraded once I can rough the whole thing out. I’m leaving the eyes for last.

E85CA3FF-A986-4F4B-BF73-65FDC3F8E81D_1_201_a.jpeg

E8552510-F772-4890-981A-542D14FEC28E.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2