Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

1 minute ago, Malcolmt said:

How do you eat an elephant...... One bite at a time

Or one tiny calcitic crystal flake at a time. :P I may be coming to the limit of my tools and skills to rough this one out. I might have to pay a premium for someone to carry the torch. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

I might have to pay a premium for someone to carry the torch. 

Maybe someone should pay YOU for the honor of finishing it. :ironic:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Every gram removed is a gram closer to being at a point where others might be willing to carry the torch

• I Agree 1

58 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Maybe someone should pay YOU for the honor of finishing it. :ironic:

Hehe... Well, there is also wisdom in acknowledging one's limits, particularly when the specimen is too significant to experiment with. This one will be entrusted to a true master, and then I will do the rest. I am going the co-prep route. ;) I'm very fortunate to know some fantastic folks. Oh, and said prep master gave me some incredible advice about stylus sharpening using what I already had, so no need to buy diamond rasps.

I'll do it with pins if you like.

It might take a wee while and I may not be around to finish up, but it'll be a good job.

347683059_GoldPins.thumb.jpg.274561cb90e0fd62ce46ffa7f3245ce4.jpg

The gold pins cost a little extra. 

• Enjoyed 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I'll do it with pins if you like.

It might take a wee while and I may not be around to finish up, but it'll be a good job.

The gold pins cost a little extra. 

:heartylaugh:

By "wee," do you mean a few years? :P 

But it gets me thinking it has been eons since I did a hand prep. I really ought to! I'm sure being spoiled with air tools has resulted in letting my hand prep skills deteriorate. :( 

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, Kane said:

:heartylaugh:

By "wee," do you mean a few years? :P 

But it gets me thinking it has been eons since I did a hand prep. I really ought to! I'm sure being spoiled with air tools has resulted in letting my hand prep skills deteriorate. :( 

Obviously hand prep is much slower and not as efficient in other ways. 

But I do okay with softer / medium substrates. I sit at home all day, so it's fine.

Those pins are really mine, (well, wifey's actually, but she gave them to me), they're just gold coated and the steel underneath is actually quite soft so they're rubbish for prepping for more than an hour. However, the tips are rather sharp, so a quick detailed poke is useful. 

As it usually is. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

You do exquisite work with those pins, Adam. Really. If you had air tools, you'd blow us away even more. :) 

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

You do exquisite work with those pins, Adam. Really. If you had air tools, you'd blow us away even more. :) 

That's one of the nicest compliments that I have ever received, but one could equally say, that even with the more expensive equipment, it still takes skill and patience and natural brilliance to produce the quite extraordinary results that you are able to achieve. :fistbump:  

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

That's one of the nicest compliments that I have ever received, but one could equally say, that even with the more expensive equipment, it still takes skill and patience and natural brilliance to produce the quite extraordinary results that you are able to achieve. :fistbump:  

Well deserved and earned, my friend. 

Is it okay for me to sing along to Bowie's "kooks" now? I do love it. Oh, wait, "life on Mars" is playing now. Oh, now "jeepster" by T-rex. Just love the glam era tunes!

• I Agree 1

Jeepster changed my life forever. 

I'll PM you. 

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

• 1 month later...

Along with my package from Russia were two illaenids for me to prepare. This one my contact guessed it might be Illaenus plautini

The initial state:

IMG_9618.jpeg

About half the matrix was that kind of sticky calcite with shredded tiny bits -- not the most ideal situation. Also, abrasion is kept to a minimum (small puffs here and there) as the shell burns and leeches easily. So it was fine scribe (Pferd) for 90% of the prep, so it took time when removing a calcite crystal grain at a time. The more translucent bits super close to the shell can be removed with careful use of an X-acto blade or scalpel. 

I. plautini has a very "tall" glabella, and this one fit the bill. There were some nervous moments when encountering cracks, and even some "buckling" of the front end of the glabella where even more care is needed not to pop shell pieces off.

Midway points:

172378AE-ACA4-4448-9452-E0737CFC4121.jpeg

9DAFE7C7-CC7F-44B4-A726-78FC5704E9EF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

Once all the scribing is done, constantly alternating with a few puffs of abrasion, the finicky finishing details took me as much if not more time than the initial roughing. 

In all, it turned out better than I anticipated. 

Finished product, moistened, at a few different angles:

570B1D1A-E96E-4CA3-9853-22EB84618ECA.jpeg

BF906FA8-3BBA-48A8-B11D-BC5762C22C84.jpeg

2450AA07-301D-4BEB-A5C8-623D7AAE358B.jpeg

• Enjoyed 12

Thanks, all. :) These are a lot of fun to prep. Simple body plan, but not without some challenges endemic to the preservation of this genus at this location. The asaphids by contrast have much more robust shell and are more forgiving than the illaenids!

• I found this Informative 2

Excellent job @Kane! It is a pleasure watching you work. :P

Regards, 

Asher

• Thank You 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

• 4 weeks later...

And, done. Almost all scribing with only some light abrasion at the end, followed by applying a bit of locktite to strengthen the shell.

BB0CC6B4-31F1-4C42-BEE3-91597058D7A6.jpeg

26C849BC-BEAD-49BE-9B0F-A2E6E2B7E00C.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6