Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

Looks like the prep tools are back in action! Glad to see it. Nice looking bug! :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

7 hours ago, Kane said:

Thanks, Kris. :) 

My next project will be a doozy with plenty of challenges. I might send you a PM for advice!

PM away!! I’m here for you brother 

Coming along. Giant calymenid. Slow prep. No cowboy form of prep. Should measure over 9 cm on the roll. Still a long way to go now that I'm at the trickier part, after rough prep and needing to stabilize with paraloid.

Photo on 2023-09-09 at 3.03 PM #2.jpg

Photo on 2023-09-09 at 3.03 PM.jpg

2CB5DAF4-B894-414C-B599-54DC3B19AF8C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 11

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 1 month later...

Love this thread, can’t wait to see how this turns out.

On 9/9/2023 at 1:05 PM, Kane said:

Coming along. Giant calymenid. Slow prep. No cowboy form of prep. Should measure over 9 cm on the roll. Still a long way to go now that I'm at the trickier part, after rough prep and needing to stabilize with paraloid.

Hi Kane, I don't comment often, but I want you to know that it's always a pleasure to see you prep and be able to follow your progress :JC_doubleup:

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

Still a lot of work to do, including some resto, but the bulk of scribing is done. Measures 11.5 cm (4.5 inches) on the roll.

IMG_1313.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

6 hours ago, taj said:

wow ! where does this monster come from ? ordovician of quebec or silurian form elsewhere ? 

Silurian from the beyond. :D I think the biggest calymenid I've found in Quebec's Ordovician topped out at 5 cm.

• I found this Informative 2

Nice ! I still have to explore the beyond  here !#5 cms is  the top dimension   that I found in the ordovician too ,but I am still on the hunt for bigger , I suspect it could go 1 or 2 cm bigger ...

• 2 months later...

Been many months since I sat on my rickety stool, perched over my blast box in poor lighting, and swore at my tools in aggravation, but today seemed a good day for it.

I decided to finish up a Bumastoides I found back in early October. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had taken it to here before other life things got in the way. But Got back to it:

IMG_1805.JPGIMG_1804.JPGIMG_1803.JPG

These bugs commonly appear crushed, so I was not too * crushed  * that this one was as well. Some missing bits in its crushed state, but still fairly plump. The material in Hastings County isn't always very kind, but I did make the most of it. Not exactly a museum piece,  but the only example I have of this one prone.

• Enjoyed 10

SWEET!

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me