Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

I think the pedestal was the right choice. What a beauty, and bigger than you thought. :wub:

Awesome prep as well. Based on the hard sticky matrix, small size, and almost exclusive scribe work, I’d say your prep skills just leveled up! Wow!

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 1 month later...

Been catching up with the prep backlog, which is a lot longer than I thought.

First up would be a rare Pseudobasilicus lavrowi. This was in three pieces, and I stupidly glued it all together without plotting where the trilobite was, so I was effectively scribing blind. The shell on these are much thinner and less forgiving than their Asaphus cousins. 

Initial state and once I finally rediscovered it: 

D39FB4C7-9156-4EC4-899E-4BAE5437179D.jpeg

F670E97B-ECD4-47D8-B254-DCFC117BDFCF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It turned out to be a sticky-calcitic mess. My first attempt at some restoration was a (thankfully reversible) disaster. The second attempt went a bit better. In the end, not a premium display piece, but an "example of the species" piece. 

668270B8-467C-4F3F-86EB-B0A877DF70D5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

And finishing up a few other pieces. This was about as far as I felt safe to take this plate of Ceraurus (two species) and starfish. 

821A1EF9-EE64-4181-BE9C-7BB3D279FEA3.jpegB5FE447D-0A72-4645-8ABF-CE317D8EAC39.jpeg79731C58-F6F5-4F17-BB0D-907FA85900E5.jpeg

Matrix landscaping and so-so resto on this almost 2 inch Thaleops, too. 

E0D6FD78-072C-4739-8685-856988D65258.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

Great prep Kane!  Those bugs came out beautiful, I especially like the Ceraurus plate with the Starfish (stenaster?)

Thanks. :) 

I am not absolutely certain, but the starfish seemed similar to Schuchertia stellata to me. 

• Enjoyed 2

Just now, NoahW24 said:

Great work! Is the Thaleops from the same location?

Thanks. :) 

I'm not sure, but don't think so (I wasn't the person who found it). He did the bulk of the prep, and I purchased it to finish it up. 

Great job as always Kane! That little starfish is icing on the trilobite cake! :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I'm not a trilo guy but always like to visit here and see what your up too.  Some very cool stuff you got here and love the starfish.  Some great prep work too. 

RB

• Thank You 1

• 9 months later...

Been a while since I got the tools going. 

This one is halfway done. Finished the scribing in a few hours and just need to do some abrasion and landscaping work. I did forget to take a "before" photo. It took some time with hammer and chisel to get the whole thing out of a giant block, and I was unsure if it would be complete with only 3-4 thoracic segments showing. Collected from the Mingan Fm (or equivalent) in Quebec over a week ago. Shaw and Bolton (2011) list it as Illaenus bayfieldi, but I'm not confident that the genus assignment still holds, or if its proper place may be Thaleops. I have company coming this weekend, but I'll finish this up sometime next week.

I always have the option to free it entirely from the matrix, but I think I want to keep it on a bit of matrix pedestal. . 

D0910B02-B633-4558-ACDC-5E975063C3EA.jpeg

A0AAE95A-C0FF-48D1-940D-B3305BC97180.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Illaenus bayfieldi, but I'm not confident that the genus assignment still holds, or if its proper place may be Thaleops

My understanding from @piranha's response to me (deleted during the computer troubles the forum is having) is that Illaenus is no longer a valid genus. I have a nice Thaleops specimen being prepped and will be picking it up in a few weeks. So seeing your nice specimen has gotten me excited about seeing the final results.

Mike

• Enjoyed 1

That's what I figured, Mike. It was passing strange to see that genus in the work of Shaw and Bolton, but I am more strongly in the Thaleops camp and just reporting from their faunal list of 2011. I am guessing the removal of Illaenus must have happened not long after they published this one:

Shaw, F.C., and T.E. Bolton (2011) Ordovician Trilobites from the Romaine and Mingan Formations (Ibexian - Late Whiterockian), Mingan Islands, Quebec. Journal of Paleontology 85.3 406-441.

• Enjoyed 1

Tom Bolton died in 1997 so he would not have been aware of Amati and Westrop's revision of Thalops, which was published in 2004.  I am speculating that Shaw, who must have been of advanced age himself in 2011, was clearing out some manuscripts that had been in prep for a long time, and didn't update some of the taxonomy.  Also it's worth remembering that taxonomic changes are to some extent a matter of opinion, and Shaw might not have agreed with Amati & Westrop (2004).

Don

On 11/19/2022 at 8:23 PM, Kane said:

And finishing up a few other pieces. This was about as far as I felt safe to take this plate of Ceraurus (two species) and starfish. 

And orthids! 

That's a lovely plate, the little starfish is stunning. :b_love1:

Nice work. 

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

29 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Tom Bolton died in 1997 so he would not have been aware of Amati and Westrop's revision of Thalops, which was published in 2004.  I am speculating that Shaw, who must have been of advanced age himself in 2011, was clearing out some manuscripts that had been in prep for a long time, and didn't update some of the taxonomy.  Also it's worth remembering that taxonomic changes are to some extent a matter of opinion, and Shaw might not have agreed with Amati & Westrop (2004).

Don

The Amati & Westrop revision was in 2004? Feels like yesterday, or I'm getting old. :P I know a few people who still pound the table about the Nanillaenus/Thaleops issue, to whom I can only say, "publish a rebuttal."

8 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

And orthids! 

That's a lovely plate, the little starfish is stunning. :b_love1:

Nice work. 

Actually two on that plate! :) And, yes, I prepped out the orthids with you in mind. :D 

• Thank You 1

image.thumb.png.2aef670f1948a11f68f07c75e508016f.png

Illaenus is still a valid genus.  Thaleops laurentiana was erected for specimens previously referred to "Illaenus americanus" Billings, 1859.

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Shaw in Shaw & Bolton 2011 cited Amati & Westrop 2004. Both papers recognize Illaenus bayfieldi as a valid taxon that was not synonymized with Thaleops.

Amati, L., Westrop, S.R. 2004
A Systematic Revision of Thaleops (Trilobita: Illaenidae) With New Species form the Middle and Late Ordovician of Oklahoma and New York.

Journal of Systematic Palaeontology, 2(3):207-256  PDF LINK

Shaw, F.C., Bolton, T.E. 2011

Ordovician Trilobites from the Romaine and Mingan Formations (Ibexian-Late Whiterockian), Mingan Islands, Quebec.

Journal of Paleontology, 85(3):406-441

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks, Kris. :) 

My next project will be a doozy with plenty of challenges. I might send you a PM for advice!