How to clean

Alexander D.G

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to clean this fossil up for a long time but not really knowing how to start because I have little experience with cleaning fossils.

Anybody got any tips for removing the hard stone covering the front of the fossil? Thanks in advance!

(dimensions are 9x9x7 cm)

Fossil.jpg

Topic moved to Fossil Preparation.

If the stone is hard, your best best is an air scribe or (at the least) an electric engraver such as a Dremel tool. You can attempt to remove the rock using a pin vise and dental picks, but it will take a very long time compared to an air tool. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

To be frank I wouldn't bother on this specimen unless your intent is to practice fossil preparation. I don't think prepping this fossil will improve its appearance enough to justify the time spent doing it. If you want to practice your technique then go for at as this fossil will present some obstacles to prepping that you should become familiar with so as to not botch the prep of a really great specimen. Air tools are faster. Hand tools are less invasive. Find a combination of both for the best results.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!