Late Pennsylvanian of West Virginia

Peat Burns

Some finds from a weekend hunt in the Late Pennsylvanian / Early Permian Dunkard Group of West Virginia.  Any corrections or identifications are welcome and appreciated. Scale throughout is in mm.

20191008_012644.thumb.jpg.f4fadd8fe78f40c1628ab05b75d51e3d.jpg

20191008_015151.thumb.jpg.bf1c2e9a574ec1ec50bf191083523013.jpg

Resized_20191008_015053.thumb.jpeg.fd1b74261e9a39507fda7ba1e1fe803d.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice stuff!  I especially like the bumpy Stigmarioides - I don't think I've ever seen such a thing!  And are those ferns to the right of it on the same rock?  If so, are they part of the specimen or are they another genus?  Either way, it looks like a great piece - congrats!

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Monica said:

Nice stuff!  I especially like the bumpy Stigmarioides - I don't think I've ever seen such a thing!  And are those ferns to the right of it on the same rock?  If so, are they part of the specimen or are they another genus?  Either way, it looks like a great piece - congrats!

Thanks, Monica.  I think the Stigmarioides was my favorite find.  I didn't know I had that big and beautiful of a chunk until I got home.  There was only a tiny bit exposed.  The matrix is *extremely* fragile and flakes and crumbles as it dries.  I was carefully trying to expose more of the Stigmarioides and the whole rock split perfectly (for a change...).  I said to myself "I'm so glad I just did that" (took a risk of totally destroying it by trying to pry it apart).

The fern and Stigmarioides are on the same piece.  They are from different individual plants.  Here's a pic of the whole piece with positive and negative side by side.  Best piece of the bunch imo.

Resized_20191008_004936.thumb.jpeg.83b10eb939d8e8e433f2ca8289cea9c3.jpeg

Congratulations Tony. Looks like you found good examples of a number of characteristic Pennsylvanian age plants.

Very nice. I really enjoy looking at plant fossils. They are not exactly common in my neck of the woods.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

9 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Late Pennsylvanian / Early Permian Dunkard Group of West Virginia

Great finds!!! I try and make a trip yearly into Pennsylvania for ferns when visiting my home town , Canton, Ohio, for the holidays. My research shows the Dunkark Group is close to Ohio and even in it a little. I may try collecting from it at Christmas IF the weather cooperates. Without asking for your site, how close to Ohio were you?? Do you know if most exposures of this formation contain ferns? Thanks for any insight.

Mike

PS, You never made it out this way yet. Head west young man (and I don't mean WEST Virginia). Head west and let me know when you are coming.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations Tony. Looks like you found good examples of a number of characteristic Pennsylvanian age plants.

Thank you, Jeff.  There were a number of "first finds" for me among these taxa.

1 hour ago, sixgill pete said:

Very nice. I really enjoy looking at plant fossils. They are not exactly common in my neck of the woods.

Thanks, Sixgill.  Yeah, I have to travel quite a way to get to them, too.  Made for a fun adventure.

12 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Great finds!!! I try and make a trip yearly into Pennsylvania for ferns when visiting my home town , Canton, Ohio, for the holidays. My research shows the Dunkark Group is close to Ohio and even in it a little. I may try collecting from it at Christmas IF the weather cooperates. Without asking for your site, how close to Ohio were you?? Do you know if most exposures of this formation contain ferns? Thanks for any insight.

Mike

PS, You never made it out this way yet. Head west young man (and I don't mean WEST Virginia). Head west and let me know when you are coming.

Thanks, Mike.  I was about 91 miles southwest of Canton and due west of Morgantown.  I have been in that area twice, and just end up driving around on the back "roads" (roads is a relative term - many require a high-clearance 4WD / off-road vehicle due to the ruts and steep grades - I was using a quad / 4-wheeler this time).  The formations in the group include sandstone, siltstone, and shale.  The sandstone I have surveyed is devoid of fossils.  Ignore the sandstone and massive, blocky, or thick bedded exposures and look for "crumbly / flakey" exposures of shale (has an almost clay-like character).  I have found fern-bearing deposits both times just driving around, so I think fossil-bearing sites are many.  Make sure to take aluminum foil and duct tape for making soft jackets for *every* specimen.  Between the drying and consequent fragmentation and the beating they will take from bouncing on the "roads", they will come back a pile of rubble, otherwise.  Even in the exposures, you have to work to get large specimens due to the flakey nature of the shale.  I have been slowly drying them and then soaking the undersides of the plates in butvar to prevent fragmentation.

I'm sorry I didn't make it out there this summer.  I am really looking forward to meeting you (even though you are a buckeye :P - great band halftime performance honoring Purdue graduate Neil Armstrong on Saturday by the way!) and learning about the fossils in your area.  I will make it happen soon.  If you have any more questions about the Dunkard Group, PM me.

With kind regards,

Tony

Tony looks like you had a great weekend and found some cool finds. I am planning on heading South this weekend for a quick trip of collecting- the last thing I need is more fossils, but I do like collecting them. I still need to get out by you and do some collecting.

Very nice finds. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

I am really looking forward to meeting you (even though you are a buckeye :P - great band halftime performance honoring Purdue graduate Neil Armstrong on Saturday by the way!) and learning about the fossils in your area

• @Peat Burns, Believe it or not, at least 25 to 30 % of the fans sitting to watch THE Ohio State Buckeyes are there to watch the BEST snarge BAND IN THE LAND! Football is just icing on the cake. We have a nephew that had the honor of DOTTING THE I. That brought us untold pleasure and the icing that day was also shellacking Purdue!! Just kidding. If anyone has not watched an OSU Band performance, please enjoy the clip below:
  •  I think musically inclined @snolly50 would enjoy it.
  •  Ohio State Honors Moon Landing’s 50th Anniversary with Mesmerizing Halftime Show.

Screenshot from YouTube: The Ohio State University Marching Band

The Ohio State University Marching Band is the real deal. I mean, they don’t call themselves “The Best snarge Band in the Land” for nothing. You won’t find any chaotic scramble chaos in Columbus. Here, every note and movement under band director Christoper Hoch’s guidance is perfectly scripted and leaves everyone in attendance awe-struck week after week.

In 2018, the OSU marching band actually “flossed” on the field. While many of us still have no idea what in the heck “flossing” is, it didn’t stop the band from going viral almost immediately. This year during halftime of the Ohio State Buckeyes’ home game against the Michigan State Spartans, TBDBITL paid tribute to an Ohio native and several American heroes.

On July 20, 1969, astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the moon. (Settle down, conspiracy theorists. Just agree the moon landing actually happened.) When The Eagle touched down, “The Space Race” between the United States and Soviet Union effectively reached its peak. Behind backing from U.S. President John F. Kennedy, Armstrong, who hailed from Cincinnati, uttered 11 words that will live on forever.

“That’s one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind.”

To honor the 50-year anniversary of Neil Armstrong’s fateful phrase and NASA’s successful Apollo 11 mission to the moon, The Ohio State University Marching Band put on an absolutely mesmerizing halftime show on Saturday night. From rockets flying around Ohio Stadium to an astronaut planting the American flag, you’re not going to be able to take your eyes off this one.

Ohio State Marching Band: ‘One Giant Leap’

RELATED: The United States’ Largest Military Band Lives in Texas

The band played “Fanfare for the Common Man” by Aaron Copland, “Jupiter” by Gustav Holst, songs from movies like The Right Stuff, The First Man and Apollo 13, then concluded with “The Stars and Stripes Forever” with the help of more than 70 piccolo players.

Naturally, TBDBITL spelled out Armstrong’s fateful words — “1 SMALL STEP” and “1 GIANT LEAP” — before ending this incredible halftime performance.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

That brought us untold pleasure and the icing that day was also shellacking Purdue!! Just

I'll just leave this right here...:D

Resized_20181021_194715.jpeg.42939694dbe66d138f874598121d7555.jpeg

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Tony looks like you had a great weekend and found some cool finds. I am planning on heading South this weekend for a quick trip of collecting- the last thing I need is more fossils, but I do like collecting them. I still need to get out by you and do some collecting.

Thanks, Ralph.  I'm on sabbatical, so just lmk via PM if you wanna meet at Paulding sometime before the snow flies.

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Very nice finds. 

Thank you, Mark.

9 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Thanks, Ralph.  I'm on sabbatical, so just lmk via PM if you wanna meet at Paulding sometime before the snow flies.

Cool- maybe in a couple of weeks we could hit it for a day and then I would head back.