My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Part 2

Dino9876

Hello everyone.

In April of last year (2020) I presented you a few rare recent shark teeth from my collection. At that time I had 37 species of sharks - now there are 85 species; including over 600 isolated teeth and several jaws.
At that time I had decided to post a second part again, but then forgot about it at some point.

Now the time has come and I want to share 27 rare species with you.
Of some species, I have shown both upper and lower teeth. With others only one of the two.

I hope that it will help some of you to compare it to fossils or just make it an interesting change for those who are more close with fossil shark teeth :)
Some shark groups really only seem to have barely changed over the millions of years...

If you're interested, I'll be maintaining this post and sharing new rare species with you, as soon as I got new ones.

Best regards from Germany

Folie1.JPG

Folie2.JPG

Folie3.JPG

Folie4.JPG

Folie5.JPG

Folie6.JPG

Folie7.JPG

Edited by Dino9876
  • I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 7

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here

I am curious. 

It's a very nice and interesting collection, but do they actually kill these rare sharks for collectors to get these teeth, or are they from beach finds or washed up specimens?  

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I am curious. 

It's a very nice and interesting collection, but do they actually kill these rare sharks for collectors to get these teeth, or are they from beach finds or washed up specimens?  

Thank you :)

I always make sure that I only buy the teeth from old collections so that no shark has to die for it.  Because I don't want to contribute to the fact that the sharks in our world are getting fewer and fewer. The most teeth are older than 20 years and I got them from serious collectors.

Unfortunately, great white sharks are often killed for their teeth as they cost a huge amount of money.  But I don’t support such a thing and don’t buy anything from dealers where I suspect sharks have died extra for their teeth.

Best regards

• Thank You 3

7 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this!

Thank you. My pleasure:dinothumb:

Hi,

You’ll probably be interested in selachian heterodontics, you can see my link in my signature :)

Coco

Edited by Coco
  • Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

4 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

You’ll probably be interested in selachian heterodontics, you can see my link in my signature :)

Coco

Yes, thank you very much for your link. Very impressive pictures! :) 

• 1 year later...

@Dino9876 Very impressive! 

Do see many "Tilly bones" in extant sharks, or do you just specialize in teeth?

Also how variable are your modern cowshark teeth?  I'm asking because I had mostly found bottom lateral teeth with serrations of the first main point for years, but started visiting an old (now new!) site and the bottom laterals tend to look different (less fine serrations on the main point, and more accessory points before the main point.  Unfortunately most of my old cowshark teeth were broken and i used the serrations on the main (often isolated) point as an ID of a cowshark tooth, so I may have miss-identified broken points with no serrations.. 

On 3/6/2023 at 3:19 PM, Rowboater said:

@Dino9876 Very impressive! 

Do see many "Tilly bones" in extant sharks, or do you just specialize in teeth?

Also how variable are your modern cowshark teeth?  I'm asking because I had mostly found bottom lateral teeth with serrations of the first main point for years, but started visiting an old (now new!) site and the bottom laterals tend to look different (less fine serrations on the main point, and more accessory points before the main point.  Unfortunately most of my old cowshark teeth were broken and i used the serrations on the main (often isolated) point as an ID of a cowshark tooth, so I may have miss-identified broken points with no serrations.. 

Thank you very much for the kind words!

I've never seen a "tilly bone" in a recent shark, but I don't have too much comparative material either, I mostly have jaws and isolated teeth.

I can confirm that six gill shark teeth vary within a species and occur both with and without serrations and in a wide variety of forms. I dont see this in sevengill shark teeth, but I have to say that I don't have that much different material for comparison there.

Here are a few example teeth of a recent Hexanchus griseus from my collection:

475548775_H.griseus000T-MDG-l.thumb.JPG.95fe89fb170ae2e11c59989fc647f343.JPG 1949443717_H.griseus001-JPN-l.thumb.JPG.45d40bdbeccd9f22b6e47d9bd7760b03.JPG 1674840364_H.griseus002-JPN-l.thumb.JPG.3d5cf24218a2d8476f1d6d57616edf12.JPG

424637248_H.griseus008-JPN-l.thumb.JPG.9cb6bf03f7ae1a7d1f356c4885882da7.JPG 13563273_H.griseus010-AUS-l.thumb.JPG.59ae9931767741261de47009d5ab687c.JPG 1908975260_H.griseus011-AUS-l.thumb.JPG.0d93f17140911e29d7b25b0a01ad1e1f.JPG

I only see very slight serrations in the teeth of my H. griseus jaw.

In Notorynchus cepedianus I only see teeth with serrations based on 2 jaws (2nd one is a baby tooth):

DSC00529.thumb.JPG.b92b3986bdcb8a8ee16428ccf32bd9d8.JPG 2002767648_N.cepedianus000T-URY-l.thumb.JPG.0fe88302a4330823acc9103717c072ef.JPG

Also in Heptranchias perlo I only see serrations (based on 2 jaws and isolated teeth):

573578455_H.perlo000T-UNB-l.thumb.JPG.a2981e92ec0439ff634934dd0d593a74.JPG

I hope this helps you further. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them :) 

Best regards from Germany!

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for sharing your collection. Wonderful specimens and fantastic photographs :default_clap2:

Probably just a mix up not a wrong ID since they look so different. Your Scymnodon ringens is also a Dalatias licha lower jaw tooth.  :thumbsu:

Keep on posting these wonderful photos. I’m off to check out your first post now.

12 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Thanks for sharing your collection. Wonderful specimens and fantastic photographs :default_clap2:

Probably just a mix up not a wrong ID since they look so different. Your Scymnodon ringens is also a Dalatias licha lower jaw tooth.  :thumbsu:

Keep on posting these wonderful photos. I’m off to check out your first post now.

Thank you for the nice feedback! I definitely need to continue this type of posts. I now have so many new species and jaws. A number of posts about a specific group are in the works, but I'll probably show different species from my collection again. I have so many ideas and far too little time :rolleyes:

To the Scymnodon ringens tooth:

When I bought the tooth a few years ago, I thought the same thing as you, namely that it was D. licha. However, the seller (a very reliable, honest one with extreme knowledge of sharks) assured me that it was S. ringens (broken out of a jaw - and I think the seller can tell the jaws of the 2 species apart, they really do look extremely different).
I can't tell if it's D. licha or S. rigens because the posterior teeth of both species look identical (especially without the root; see photos). So I relied on the seller's ID for this tooth.

I will leave the tooth as an S. ringens, but with a small question mark ;)

Scymnodon ringens:

J-elasmo

Jawscymnodondentition1b.thumb.jpg.cfa4bd4d79942e7d7ee910bc37087656.jpg

Shark-references:

Scymnodon_ringens_6.jpg.85d369990e527320a382badfd9d1966a.jpg

D. licha

J-elasmo:

Jawdalatiasdentb.thumb.jpg.4f1785c23bf4653d474a5898e2c361d7.jpg

Thank you and best regards!

Edited by Dino9876

4 hours ago, Dino9876 said:

I will leave the tooth as an S. ringens, but with a small question mark ;)

That tooth is 100% a Dalatias tooth. 

It might not be clear from the J Elasmo photos but here are some images from:

https://shark-references.com/post/612

0328A715-915D-4432-B4AA-D26E7ED8F7DC.thumb.jpeg.561f1599b833520618e42cf86d43dd27.jpeg

Scymnodon ringens

5FC2EA7A-313E-498D-AB64-B5FC7E202600.thumb.jpeg.6cc2f8984b92e49df31505428dd73be9.jpeg

Dalatias licha

Scymnodon ringens doesn’t have serrations. If you look really closely at the edges it has faint crenulations.

Here’s a fantastic photo of a Scymnodon ringens lateral courtesy of @MarcoSr

note the faint crenulations. 

There are other differences too, like Scymnodon has a solid apron (the enamel that drops down onto the root in the picture below, whereas Dalatias (like your tooth) this area has a central groove. 
Also note the large hole (foramen) in the middle of the Dalatias root. The top of this is visible in yours. 

4A51C22E-69EC-4621-882A-D458BE66E5A2.jpeg.6e0c84e23c54231c755148c5f7a28201.jpeg

Scymnodon ringens 

Compare that to your tooth:

22733F87-A40E-4AE3-ADD1-9BDE22BFB6F1.jpeg.f78f3f069431e1def9b0d3f1bea0c063.jpeg

Edited by Doctor Mud
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

That tooth is 100% a Dalatias tooth. 

It might not be clear from the J Elasmo photos but here are some images from:

https://shark-references.com/post/612

0328A715-915D-4432-B4AA-D26E7ED8F7DC.thumb.jpeg.561f1599b833520618e42cf86d43dd27.jpeg

Scymnodon ringens

5FC2EA7A-313E-498D-AB64-B5FC7E202600.thumb.jpeg.6cc2f8984b92e49df31505428dd73be9.jpeg

Dalatias licha

Scymnodon ringens doesn’t have serrations. If you look really closely at the edges it has faint crenulations.

Here’s a fantastic photo of a Scymnodon ringens lateral courtesy of @MarcoSr

note the faint crenulations. 

There are other differences too, like Scymnodon has a solid apron (the enamel that drops down onto the root in the picture below, whereas Dalatias (like your tooth) this area has a central groove. 
Also note the large hole (foramen) in the middle of the Dalatias root. The top of this is visible in yours. 

4A51C22E-69EC-4621-882A-D458BE66E5A2.jpeg.6e0c84e23c54231c755148c5f7a28201.jpeg

Scymnodon ringens 

Compare that to your tooth:

22733F87-A40E-4AE3-ADD1-9BDE22BFB6F1.jpeg.f78f3f069431e1def9b0d3f1bea0c063.jpeg

Yes, you were right, thank you for the input.

I honestly never looked this closly to this tooth and didnt know, that there are this many differences between these 2 species. I just trusted this seller, I was 16 at the time I got this tooth and never questioned the ID later.

But you are right, especially the foramen and the serrations are very characteristic, but I never looked closly at these details:DOH:

Unfortunately I dont have a Scymnodon ringens jaw for comparision (hopefully I get one sometime), but I will check my other teeth of this species to be sure.

Thank you for the useful information.

Best regards from Germany!

Edited by Dino9876

34 minutes ago, Dino9876 said:

Thank you for the useful information.

You are welcome,

I didn’t really explain why in the first post, so why believe some random guy from New Zealand? :egypt:

I guess the seller is allowed to make mistakes now and then. 

If you are interested in shark teeth I really recommend Herman’s series on shark teeth. Here is one of them:

Contributions to the study of the comparative morphology of teeth and other relevant ichthyodorulites in living supraspecific taxa of Chondrichtyan fishes Editor : M. STEHMANN
Part A: Selachii. No.3: Order: Squaliformes Families: Echinorhinidae, Oxy:riotidae and Squalidae
by J. HERMAN, M. HOVESTADT-EULER and D.C. HOVESTADT

I managed to find the whole series of these online for free via Google.

The title is a real mouthful, but you can get a lot out of the images and if you feel inclined there are detailed descriptions of the differences in teeth throughout the jaw I’m each species and between different species. 

Edited by Doctor Mud
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

You are welcome,

I didn’t really explain why in the first post, so why believe some random guy from New Zealand? :egypt:

I guess the seller is allowed to make mistakes now and then. 

If you are interested in shark teeth I really recommend Herman’s series on shark teeth. Here is one of them:

Contributions to the study of the comparative morphology of teeth and other relevant ichthyodorulites in living supraspecific taxa of Chondrichtyan fishes Editor : M. STEHMANN
Part A: Selachii. No.3: Order: Squaliformes Families: Echinorhinidae, Oxy:riotidae and Squalidae
by J. HERMAN, M. HOVESTADT-EULER and D.C. HOVESTADT

I managed to find the whole series of these online for free via Google.

The title is a real mouthful, but you can get a lot out of the images and if you feel inclined there are detailed descriptions of the differences in teeth throughout the jaw I’m each species and between different species. 

Thank you very much! :notworthy:

I already found the paper you mentoined. Do you have the other papers of this series as well?

If so, I would be very happy if you could PM me these .

@MarcoSr do you have copies of the Herman papers? If not I can send them to you via PM. There are eight in the series 

1 hour ago, Dino9876 said:

Thank you very much! :notworthy:

I already found the paper you mentoined. Do you have the other papers of this series as well?

If so, I would be very happy if you could PM me these .

Papers sent

• Thank You 1

• 9 months later...