Foshunter

as the clam grows the tube it inhabits is enlarged and lengthened. These are growth rings of a sort. What I say here is opinion of course but on this one I'm fairly certain.

In my opinion it's definitely belemnite...It could not be a phragmocone, it could be the internal shell.

Here you have a image of one of my belemnites of Lower Jurassic (I know this fossil is from Cretaceous, but I think there are similarities between both).In it, you can see the growth rings, similar to your's.

post-18967-0-27403600-1443031750_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guguita2104

In my opinion it's definitely belemnite...It could not be a phragmocone, it could be the internal shell.

Here you have a image of one of my belemnites of Lower Jurassic (I know this fossil is from Cretaceous, but I think there are similarities between both).In it, you can see the growth rings, similar to your's.

attachicon.gifBelemnite.JPG

Belemnite guards are composed of radial calcite. If you look at post #29 you can see that this fossil lacks the radial calcite.

Enlarged the Kummelia, what I see, is the large end has ridges but as it tapers down they totally disapear? post-3940-0-02342300-1443034383_thumb.jpg

Tried to enlarge some of the area John commented on. This is the best that my limited resources can accomplish

post-3940-0-74706900-1443034357_thumb.jpg

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

:)

Identification is a process that makes for a good discussion. I've enjoyed the education.

Thanks for the extra photo, Tom.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I know it's destructive, but a median longitudinal cut through the specimen may lead easier to a right conclusion.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

If you think you know what this piece is please look at my possible belemnite post! thanks and I hope that we have an Id here!

Photographed a pic of a Kummelia from my Computer monitor, must say looks pretty good to me. First before this post goes any further, if it does, want to thank everyone that has expressed an opinion , that's what makes the Forum great and a help to the less educated, like me, in the fossil world. Would like opinions on this new information from Plax, must say looks like a match. Pictured are clams found where the piece was found, Pecan Gap Chalk Sulphur R.

Tom

post-3940-0-91219400-1443044787_thumb.jpg post-3940-0-25817700-1443044787_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

It's a pretty close match, but I am still puzzled by the longitudinal groove which looks like a crack (as I have seen in scaphopods etc that are compacted) - is there anything about the function of the boring clam that explains this feature?

...the less educated, like me...

You need to give yourself more credit...I've seen your posts. ;)

You are right about this Forum...good to have other viewpoints.

• I found this Informative 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

It's a pretty close match, but I am still puzzled by the longitudinal groove which looks like a crack (as I have seen in scaphopods etc that are compacted) - is there anything about the function of the boring clam that explains this feature?

It is a crack. Kummelia tubes are almost perfectly circular in cross section, but as they lack internal structures they are often flattened (as is Foshunter's specimen) and then they show compression cracks.

Don

This has been an amazing process! The best of TFF, IMO!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here is Eufistulana ripleyana from the Lower Peedee at Maple Hill, Pender Co, NC. Scale is centimeterDidn't take a pic of the broken end but there is a pelecyod steinkern in it. Guess we have general consensus?

post-1757-0-00830300-1443456492_thumb.jpg

post-1757-0-97588200-1443456502_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

You guys make a strong case, and may well be right; but I would need to see a closer examination of Tom's find before I go over to "the clam side". :) Regardless, it's been an education and I appreciate learning something new.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ