Fossil hunting in the Bois Blanc and Onondaga formations

dinosaur man

On 12/10/2019 at 4:05 PM, dinosaur man said:

Unknown Brachiopod 

image.jpg

I believe that this one is not a brachiopod, but a solitary rugose (horn) coral. The picture is a view looking straight down into the calyx. The visible lines seem to be septa and not plications of a brachiopod valve.

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Some very nice coral here, I have a little collection too.

cheers Bobby 

1 minute ago, FossilNerd said:

I believe that this one is not a brachiopod, but a solitary rugose (horn) coral. The picture is a view looking straight down into the calyx. The visible lines seem to be septa and not plications of a brachiopod valve.

Thanks!!

On 2019-12-10 at 4:13 PM, dinosaur man said:

. I also have my eye out for Trilobites in these formations haven’t found any yet!!.

Trilobites will definitely be a challenge to find, and will likely be disarticulated fragments (which can still be exciting!). I find the chances improve if you are in a layer with bryozoans and large brachiopods. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just went to my site Wednesday and found these:

what looks like a Trilobite glabella and part of a genal spine, if so it will be my first Trilobite fossil I ever found from this formation (as they are very rare!)!  It is very odd with the shape, and I haven’t found anything like this before!

6EA99507-87F0-400D-ADA3-D7AAF301082C.jpeg

C3C6DC6D-51F4-48D4-8931-8564C6C415F1.jpeg

And I also found this, which is a square foot rock with different types of coral in it!

7EE0A09B-C4FF-40B9-B2C0-CA6EA14993BC.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

And here’s some photos of around the area where I found these fossils, also soon I will be going mastodon hunting in the mastodon site I just found!

428022A9-6703-470C-A1AF-B27B35E03264.jpeg

1 hour ago, dinosaur man said:

Just went to my site Wednesday and found these:

what looks like a Trilobite glabella and part of a genal spine, if so it will be my first Trilobite fossil I ever found from this formation (as they are very rare!)!  It is very odd with the shape, and I haven’t found anything like this before!

6EA99507-87F0-400D-ADA3-D7AAF301082C.jpeg

Sadly, I’m not seeing trilobite here, but you have a nice plate of bryozoans in your other photo.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

Sadly, I’m not seeing trilobite here, but you have a nice plate of bryozoans in your other photo.

Thank you!