Hemipristis or Prionace tooth?

Dino9876

Hello,

I saw this tooth for sale on the Internet. Unfortunately the photo was very bad, so I tried to creat a vector graphic.

I'm not sure if the tooth belongs to a hemipristis or a blue shark.

Can you help me with this? The tooth measures a little over 1cm to the tip and was found in Indonesia (Pacific ocean).

Best regards from Germany!

Hemipristis2.png

s-l16002.jpg

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here

Hi,

OK with Hemipristis.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Fossil Prionace teeth have finer serrations and a narrower crown and tend to be smaller overall.  It's a little trickier with modern teeth because Hemipristis exists today as a smaller species and the teeth are similar.  You can still tell the difference in upper lateral teeth like that one because the serrations on the distal cutting edge (the trailing edge) tend to be noticeably larger.   That particular tooth is easier to ID because has a broader crown more like the extinct species.

Maybe thirty years ago, I had a chance to sort out a large lot of shark teeth from an Early Pliocene site in California (Oceanside).  They had been collected years before that.  The vast majority were great whites (Carcharodon carcharias) with some makos (Isurus oxyrinchus) and Carcharhinus (two forms that appeared to be dusky shark and bronze whaler).  Out of the whole nearly full beer flat there were just a few angel shark teeth and a few teeth that I thought were odd little Hemipristis.  The two upper teeth had smaller serrations than I'd seen with Hemipristis.  It was a couple of years later that I read that Prionace was known from the site and I started seeing Prionace from the Pliocene of Peru not too long after that and I made the connection.

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, siteseer said:

Fossil Prionace teeth have finer serrations and a narrower crown and tend to be smaller overall.  It's a little trickier with modern teeth because Hemipristis exists today as a smaller species and the teeth are similar.  You can still tell the difference in upper lateral teeth like that one because the serrations on the distal cutting edge (the trailing edge) tend to be noticeably larger.   That particular tooth is easier to ID because has a broader crown more like the extinct species.

Maybe thirty years ago, I had a chance to sort out a large lot of shark teeth from an Early Pliocene site in California (Oceanside).  They had been collected years before that.  The vast majority were great whites (Carcharodon carcharias) with some makos (Isurus oxyrinchus) and Carcharhinus (two forms that appeared to be dusky shark and bronze whaler).  Out of the whole nearly full beer flat there were just a few angel shark teeth and a few teeth that I thought were odd little Hemipristis.  The two upper teeth had smaller serrations than I'd seen with Hemipristis.  It was a couple of years later that I read that Prionace was known from the site and I started seeing Prionace from the Pliocene of Peru not too long after that and I made the connection.

Thank you for the explanation!

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here