Second Prep- Lessons Learned

FossilNerd

This is my second manual prep. Three partial brachiopod valves. Again, nothing special. I picked them up specifically to practice on. The middle valve is very fragile. Part of the valve broke off while prepping and the whole thing is ready to come off the base matrix. It wiggles like a loose tooth! No surprise, as the whole piece has cracks running through it; typical of the stratum. I also was beginning to uncover a bryozoan above the left most valve. I chose to stop as this was just for practice anyway. It will make a good addition to my son’s little collection. 

I realized after I was well into the prep that I had neglected to take progress pictures. :angry:

Oh well... Mistakes made, and lessons learned, but I had fun along the way! Practice makes perfect! :D 

Things I learned...

You need supporting matrix. I broke a couple of pieces from the edge of the valves because they were undercut and very little matrix was there to support it as I applied pressure to the top.

“Sticky” matrix is the bane of my existence! Lol. Seriously. That stuff is a pain in the neck! 

Matrix composition can vary even in the same rock. Some pieces flake off. Some spots are hard. Some are soft. Others drive you crazy! :blink:

Patience! I already knew this, but it bears repeating. 

Remember to take pictures. 

Here are a couple of  before shots and one completed picture. The only pictures I remembered to take...

Before:

286AF874-E96A-4339-ACCB-4761F4E05E32.thumb.jpeg.3c26c8e7fa9004eb9777467d6f4c7d25.jpeg

8D4E1905-3150-4F95-92C4-BFF607375352.thumb.jpeg.58a7a54752fbf266d82cc77388f7d490.jpeg

After:

83F94140-4B9B-4A51-BB1F-C93ADC816820.thumb.jpeg.65999024f85a27f9e3d98fe4cf4c06f4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Lesson 6 - Chainsaws make poor prep tools. :default_rofl:

Actually, what you have here doesn't look bad at all!  :fistbump:

We are always our worst critics.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

50 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Lesson 6 - Chainsaws make poor prep tools. :default_rofl:

Actually, what you have here doesn't look bad at all!  :fistbump:

We are always our worst critics.

:heartylaugh: Thanks Doren! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Chainsaws make poor prep tools. :default_rofl:

Oops! :heartylaugh:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

“Sticky” matrix is the bane of my existence! Lol. Seriously. That stuff is a pain in the neck! 

Me too.  I am working on a specimen that even with power tools, I am having a good day if I can expose a one cm by one cm area in an hour.  Incredibly sticky matrix.  

2 hours ago, Scylla said:

I think you really improved the piece. When you say manual prep, what tools did you use?

Thanks! :) 

When I say “manual prep” I mean tools that are not powered.

I used a pin vise with various “pins” (sewing needle, and scribe tip mainly). I have a heavy duty scratch awl that I like to use that seems to be ok at removing bulk matrix. I also have dental picks and razor knives that I grab on occasion. A stiff brush. That’s about it. I’m sure there is another odd thing or two that I grab from time to time.

The majority of the work was done with the pin vise.

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Me too.  I am working on a specimen that even with power tools, I am having a good day if I can expose a one cm by one cm area in an hour.  Incredibly sticky matrix.  

Dang! I feel for you...

There always seems to be a blob of it right in the middle of what I’m working on. So you can’t leave it, and you have to be extra careful not to damage anything or that would be noticed too. It seems like it took longer to remove the sticky 3mm blob than to prep the rest of the piece. :( 

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

When I say “manual prep” I mean tools that are not powered.

I used a pin vise with various “pins” (sewing needle, and scribe tip mainly) . . .

Looks like the learning is coming along very well; I'm impressed. :drool:

Don't forget to list the final tool that you use to polish up the results - wife's tooth brush. <_<

2 hours ago, grandpa said:

Don't forget to list the final tool that you use to polish up the results - wife's tooth brush. <_<

Just try to convince her that gritty sensation when she brushes is just the new tartar control toothpaste. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

Don't forget to list the final tool that you use to polish up the results - wife's tooth brush

43 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Just try to convince her that gritty sensation when she brushes is just the new tartar control toothpaste.

Geez... Thanks for busting me out guys! I couldn’t help it. Her tooth brush is the nicest in the house... Really makes the fossils shine! :P

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

Looks like the learning is coming along very well; I'm impressed

You better quit sending me to my room. I’ll be an expert in no time! :heartylaugh: 

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Keep it up. There’s a real learning curve when prepping and you’re well on your way in the right direction. Looking good!

Thanks Kris! That means a lot coming from you. :dinothumb:

Looking good! But don’t forget a very important tool! Various viscosities of super glues! For putting back on those little oopsies! Also works for locking down those shaky pieces.

Yup. That's lesson 7. If cracks start to arise in places you don't want them or the attachment to the matrix base which you want to keep starts loosening up, then let some liquid super glue run into the cracks, wipe the excess off with a rag, hold the piece in such a way that the glue runs down and under and press it tight for a minute or so and let it set for a few hours. Then you can get back to work on it without fear that anything will fly off.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Randyw @Ludwigia

Thanks guys for the tips! Super glue was actually going to be my next step for the broken and wobbly valve. I guess I could have also super glued the cracks that I knew about before I got started, to help prevent further splitting, but I wasn’t too worried with this one as it was just a practice piece of broken brachiopods.

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Yup. That's lesson 7. If cracks start to arise in places you don't want them or the attachment to the matrix base which you want to keep starts loosening up, then let some liquid super glue run into the cracks, wipe the excess off with a rag, hold the piece in such a way that the glue runs down and under and press it tight for a minute or so and let it set for a few hours. Then you can get back to work on it without fear that anything will fly off.

+1

I apply copious amounts of glue to any crack I see in order to keep them from opening up during prep. 

User beware, make sure your finger holding the piece isn’t in contact with any super glue or you won’t have fun getting your finger off the fossil!

I’ve had to use a razor blade to cut my fingers free before. Not a good time!