Some rare finds (from Georgian bay formation - Toronto)

Emthegem

Very good finds this time around. Congrats on that conularia! I understood that it's from the Credit River (Streetsville)? Right?

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 2020-07-05 at 11:23 PM, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Hi Em, 

Congratz on your special finds. I've found Conularia formosa specimens in 2 of Etobicoke's running water bodies, and I have not heard of any being found in Etobicoke Creek yet (the creek didnt offer a lot when I hunted there). I hope your Isotelus molt on the shale is stable. They really do degrade fast and are unpredictable. 

On 2020-07-05 at 11:29 PM, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Also I have crystallized, calcite specimens of bivalves (Modiolopsis ovata and concentrica) just like your specimens. Im assuming you found them in shale? 

Thanks! This one was found after splitting a plate with tons of somewhat corroded shells on it, and it was found in mimico creek. To be honest, I would have rather taken a picture of the trilobite and left it if I knew how frail the rock would have been - it virtually disintegrated into a bunch of crumbs as soon as I hit the rock (although after a tedious glueing job it looks okay is suppose). I'm still kicking myself for not having taken a picture before I started extraction as well :/ Is there anything I can do to prevent it from degrading?

Also yes, I believe so - although some were INCREDIBLY hard to extract, whereas other looks like they've been waiting 450 million years to leave their rocky graves as soon as i touched the rocks.

16 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

You are finding some good stuff there, Em (everyone seems to agree!). I'm glad you left that split orthocone piece as is, I think I would have as well. Nice one.

Thanks! I decided to take the advice from @FossilDAWG and have dialed back significantly on what I choose to take home now and to instead just appreciate the beauty of many of the fossils (especially nautiloids) as they are in nature (and also leaving them for others to admire/collect). Although, at this point I feel like I'm hogging a lot of nice nautiloids and I'd love to trade and/or give back to people that don't have many/any. I did a big purge a couple weeks ago and got rid of about half my stuff that I felt like I had better versions of. Now I gotta bike it all back to the river....

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very good finds this time around. Congrats on that conularia! I understood that it's from the Credit River (Streetsville)? Right?

Thanks! Sorry, I wrote my posts in wrong order, the conulariida is from Toronto (Mimico creek) and it's the corals that were from Credit River (located right around Hewick Meadows) *under the 403 bridge, there seems to be a literal never ending supply of good corals - you could probably go there and fill an entire bag with corals in about 10 minutes and be done for the day!

15 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I have a similar situation except it’s my wife that doesn’t want my fossils spread around everywhere. I’ve been confined to a fossil “room” (more of a corner in the open basement.) Which is fine by me. My own little sanctuary! 

I feel that... I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when I finish University, as I have to find somewhere to put them when I'm renting apartments and whatnot...my mom will probably use the rest as garden ornaments and door stoppers haha

14 hours ago, RJB said:

Lots of good pictures.  You live in an good place to hunt for fossils.

Thanks! You can definitely say that again, I didn't realize Toronto was such a good place for hunting fossils until I first joined this forum and saw the really nice stuff other people were posting a year ago. It feels like Toronto was built right on top of a massive party that we were all 450 million years late for:yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 3

-

10 hours ago, Emthegem said:

Thanks! I decided to take the advice from @FossilDAWG and have dialed back significantly on what I choose to take home now and to instead just appreciate the beauty of many of the fossils (especially nautiloids) as they are in nature (and also leaving them for others to admire/collect). Although, at this point I feel like I'm hogging a lot of nice nautiloids and I'd love to trade and/or give back to people that don't have many/any. I did a big purge a couple weeks ago and got rid of about half my stuff that I felt like I had better versions of. Now I gotta bike it all back to the river....

I hear ya... Sometimes I feel like doing that with a bunch of the stuff I've brought home. (I did that once with a few of the pieces I collected at my usual site some years ago, but have accumulated quite a bit more since then)

I guess I missed the fact that you left that split pair there. Oh well, it might be collected by someone yet...

On 7/6/2020 at 5:58 AM, erose said:

The snake looks like a immature Northern Water Snake.

yep