Hiya everyone was looking for a little help with this trilobite

Georgemckenzie

Possibly Hollardops sp. The picture quality is too poor to determine if it is fully authentic, but I can make out areas around the pygidial lappets and genal spines that look a bit "carved." 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Possibly Hollardops sp. The picture quality is too poor to determine if it is fully authentic, but I can make out areas around the pygidial lappets and genal spines that look a bit "carved." 

Hopefully this is a better picture 

2DF3D01C-345F-4CCC-AAC0-51159BE6C5CB.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Hollardops formerly known as Metacanthina

Yup. Looks like a Morocco special to me. Perhaps its been painted to hide the rough work on the details. I have one similar a student gave me a while back.

Poorly prepped, some dubious spots, painted, and a seemingly slightly out of proportion cephalon to the remainder of the body. This species is fairly common. If it were for sale, I would wait for a much better specimen.

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

Poorly prepped, some dubious spots, painted, and a seemingly slightly out of proportion cephalon to the remainder of the body. This species is fairly common. If it were for sale, I would wait for a much better specimen.

As long as it’s authentic I’m fine with it the guy was nice enough to send it as a gift 

And some poor restoration. See how two axial rings seem to resolve properly as two pleurae on the right side, but only one on the left. That suggests some putty work.

fullsizeoutput_7e4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

And some poor restoration. See how two axial rings seem to resolve properly as two pleurae on the right side, but only one on the left. That suggests some putty work.

fullsizeoutput_7e4.jpeg

Thanks for the help as I said I’m more than happy with it if it’s a real specimen cause the person was nice to send it for free 

Please do not remove topics other members have replied to. Thank you for your cooperation.

2DF3D01C-345F-4CCC-AAC0-51159BE6C5CB.thumb.jpeg.b7c9689ca4550979970349e29ce2a4d7.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Kane said:

fullsizeoutput_7e4.jpeg

Good eye

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

3 hours ago, Georgemckenzie said:

Thanks for the help as I said I’m more than happy with it if it’s a real specimen cause the person was nice to send it for free 

In my opinion it’s a very nice gift! If someone had sent it to me free I’d be happy with it too! Sure there’s a few repairs and it’s been enhanced a little but the majority of it is real and it would look good on your shelf. Of course in my mind any free fossil or free cast of a fossil is a good one! LOL! I hope you properly thanked them!

Differing matrix colors on Moroccan devonian bugs are not so sketchy. But yes, there is resto on the pygidium and on cephalon (to hide rough prep). Have to keep in mind that this bug was preppared (butchered) in a very fast way/possibly a long time ago with poor man's tools (also why it was a gift, honest seller) - many like this are old preparations in circulation. A well prepped detailed Hollardops takes easily 15-30 hours to prep, due to usually sticky hard matrix. Common species but undervalued, so they are quite uncommon to find detailed prepped in commerce (prep-difficulty and prep-time vs. value often better spent by pros in Morocco).