Collecting Trip: Hell Creek Formation

Troodon

1 hour ago, RuMert said:

It's already FOTM:)

Thanks RuMert for information. I found two different finds of this kind of jaw strange in such a short time... My memory is failing me !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Those are all pretty amazing finds. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,  I really enjoyed collecting the juvie material which I find special.  May need some help with ID of the skull elements after they are prepped.

4 hours ago, RuMert said:

Nice scenery, classic brush-wielding fossil hunt:) We lack it here

38 minutes ago, NatalieinFlagstaff said:

Super informative, especially for a beginner! Thanks so much! 

50 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

I appreciate seeing the process that goes into finding and collecting these. As someone who has never been on a true "dig" it's fascinating to see the prep that goes into it...not just the finding! Thanks for a great post! 

53 minutes ago, erose said:

Great report. Quite the smorgasbord of dino delights.

1 hour ago, sjaak said:

Fantastic!

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Great report. Thank you.

Thank you for your comments happy to share.  I was especially pleased to be able to get out in this crazy year.  

4 hours ago, RuMert said:

Nice scenery, classic brush-wielding fossil hunt:) We lack it here

Thank you

2 hours ago, Coco said:

Your ceratopsian jaw is ........ gorgeous ! (I fell out of my chair !) And the herbivorous teeth too. FOTM ?

Coco

Thank you.  May VFOM

3 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Great report Frank, love the finds and pics.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Wow! Amazing finds! Thanks for writing up the trip report so that a beginner could understand it. 

Great, hard to determine how best to present it.  Thanks

4 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Great fossils. Looks like a lot of fun

Thanks.   Yes it was a hoot, despite dealing with 3 days of +50mph wind gusts.  Sand everywhere eyes, ears and a mess when it got on the bones while gluing

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thanks,  I really enjoyed collecting the juvie material which I find special.  May need some help with ID of the skull elements after they are prepped.

Yeah, of course. Looks like interesting stuff.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I chucked a small piece of matrix in my collecting box with a tiny bone on it that I could not see very well.   Very surprised when I put it under a scope.   Looks like a vert process or complete vert ?  Mystery bone or alien spaceship :D.  

EdmontoBB2.thumb.jpg.b7a93a922b6acdfd84cea6ec8bb22adf.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Thanks Frank a really interesting thread love the seeing the landscapes and critter that live there, beautiful snakes. Also your  prep guy did a great job on them jaws. Nice new finds too. Cheers Bobby 

7 hours ago, jpc said:

nice finds, Frank.  So, is this a multispecific snake den?  That is even cooler.  

Thanks yea a monospecific bonebed with a multispecific snake den.  Cannot get much cooler.   Had a couple of other species including a Plains Garter Snake but its good to have a Herpetologist as part of the collecting crew.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks Frank a really interesting thread love the seeing the landscapes and critter that live there, beautiful snakes. Also your  prep guy did a great job on them jaws. Nice new finds too. Cheers Bobby 

Thanks Bobby.   The prep person does good work beyond my capabilities which is focused on simpler items.  Have been going to her for years.   They are also very close to the Black Hills Institute and have Pete Larsen to use as a consultant.

• I found this Informative 2

We took a day off on one of those very hot and windy days and went to the Black Hills Institute to get a bone identified.    Pete and Bob were kind enough to let us in to the Museum since its still closed.   In the back was a ceratopsian skull that they are still trying to figure out what it is.   It looks like Triceratops but its only 5 feet long versus 8 and an adult.   

P9240291.thumb.JPG.cf70aa8aece36d092d0a38fea8fe19e7.JPG

P9240293.thumb.JPG.b1f12391a65be336e8efa16297e9fa5d.JPGP9240292.thumb.JPG.991dba1ac9bbe250d2afcaa161a1ff14.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

We took a day off on one of those very hot and windy days and went to the Black Hills Institute to get a bone identified.    Pete and Bob were kind enough to let us in to the Museum since they are still closed.   In the back was a ceratopsian skull that they are still trying to figure out what it is.   It looks like Triceratops but its only 5 feet long versus 8 and an adult.   

That’s great, what a cool day you had. Is it possible that the ceratopsian version of a Homunculus a perfectly proportioned miniature   ? It is in incredible shape. Did you get the bone ID ? Thanks again for the trip report. All the best Bobby 

48 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

That’s great, what a cool day you had. Is it possible that the ceratopsian version of a Homunculus a perfectly proportioned miniature   ? It is in incredible shape. Did you get the bone ID ? Thanks again for the trip report. All the best Bobby 

No idea what a Homunculus is but rather not speculate what it is other than it looks like a miniature Triceratops.   The bone came from Montana and was a very beat up Trex metatarsal 

On 10/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, JamieLynn said:

I appreciate seeing the process that goes into finding and collecting these. As someone who has never been on a true "dig" it's fascinating to see the prep that goes into it...not just the finding! Thanks for a great post! 

I agree with JamieLynn. Thank you Frank for presenting this in such a way that us non Dino diggers can see and understand all the hard work that goes into making these outstanding finds! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thrilling adventure, I felt like I was there. As an outdoorsy person, huge on the wildlife. Congrats on successful fieldwork!

11 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I agree with JamieLynn. Thank you Frank for presenting this in such a way that us non Dino diggers can see and understand all the hard work that goes into making these outstanding finds! :) 

Thanks appreciate your comments

2 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Nice report and cool finds !!  :default_clap2::thumbsu:

11 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

Thrilling adventure, I felt like I was there. As an outdoorsy person, huge on the wildlife. Congrats on successful fieldwork!

6 hours ago, HemiHunter said:

awesome

Thanks all.

Thank you for presenting us your field trip.

I  understand how exceptionnal your finds are, and all the professional technics you use to excavate and prep them.

It takes a lot of work and expertise, congrats.

I try to get some inspiration from your plaster jackets for my future ones ;) How many layers do you use ? Before you flip it, do you first pierce the pedestal a bit all along the fossil ?

Are the bones aligned by a paleo current ? And do you find different size/type of fossils depending on the layer or they are all mixed up ?

In the same layer do you find different fossil preservation/quality and why ?

3 minutes ago, Pixpaleosky said:

Thank you for presenting us your field trip.

I  understand how exceptionnal your finds are, and all the professional technics you use to excavate and prep them.

It takes a lot of work and expertise, congrats. I try to get some inspiration from your plaster jackets for my future ones ;)

Thank you.   Just take you time on your rib project and it should be fine.  Confidence can be gained with getting a few of these completed.  

Incredible finds and incredible report! As a beginner, it was really educational to see part of the process of preserving fossils in the field. Thank you, Troodon!

28 minutes ago, itsronni said:

Incredible finds and incredible report! As a beginner, it was really educational to see part of the process of preserving fossils in the field. Thank you, Troodon!

Thank you.  Well the field work is just the beginning of the process to preserve these specimens.  Lab Preparation can take significantly longer than excavation but equally rewarding 

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Darbi said:

@Troodon, nice find! Are you a paleontologist? Just curious.

No just like most others here a collector who loves Dino's

34 minutes ago, Troodon said:

No just like most others here a collector who loves Dino's

It's just that you are so knowledgeable on theropods that I suspected you are a paleontologist.