RuMert

21 hours ago, RuMert said:

The main reason behind isolating the Volgian is substantially different conditions and ammonite zones. I don't think you hear often about such genera as Ilowayskya, Zarayskites, Pavlovia, Virgatites and Craspedites, while in the Volgian they define the stratigraphy. There were hardly any political reasons for supporting a separate stage, as many Soviet paleontologists advocated the use of Tithonian. 

Very interesting story. I tried to check some paleo maps and I think this one defines your place. Tethys East, your sea around Laurasia. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/5-rMe-Jtf0QMbpFM6taNkXC1C6RqxGcfkk23cvHUBQpl_czw1qaqKQ6Dx8OxS4tEWOuoi7G0qFxHfd909A

Concerning the political argument, I can't agree more. All Bulgarian references, even articles written before 1970, use the international terminology. If there was political intention in terms of "scientific glory", a Soviet influenced country would use the Volgian stage. 

Love the scenery by the way. Indeed this winter is a little bit delayed :D

Great post as usually! 

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you!

You probably think marine reptiles will be next, but not yet.

Aptychi! I've never seen so many big isolated aptychi anywhere. Compared to searching small ammonites for tiny aptychi, in 99% simply not preserved, this was an aptychi heaven. I've even flipped them over like shark teeth to see if they were whole. Looks like they won the most from that specific preservation and pyritisation compared to other fossils

IMG20201010113751.jpg

IMG20201010114301.jpg

IMG20201010123331.jpg

IMG20201010123335.jpg

IMG20201010123341.jpg

IMG20201010130311.jpg

IMG20201010134245.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Nice finds! Do you have trouble with pyrite disease with some of these fossils?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

The reptiles

In the 1st place for me it's the site to find some marine reptile material. This time I didn't stumble upon something really impressive, but IMHO made a couple of steps in the direction of jaws and skulls. Speaking of jaws, here's something like a jaw fragment:

IMG20201010160301.jpg

IMG20201010160305.jpg

IMG20201010160312.jpg

IMG20201010160320.jpg

and a humerus of sorts

IMG20201011130022.jpg

IMG20201011130024.jpg

IMG20201011130030.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Plesiosaur verts were rare this time as well as big bone fragments. Last year the i/p ratio was like 1 to 1, now the situation reverted to typical ichthyosaur dominance

IMG20201015131822.jpg

IMG20201015131824.jpg

IMG20201015131828.jpg

a shortened pliosaur vert

IMG20201015154216.jpg

IMG20201015154246.jpg

IMG20201015154248.jpg

IMG20201015154251.jpg

a strange hybrid vert, very much looking like plesiosaur, but I'm leaning towards a heavily deformed ichthyosaur one

IMG20201011172015.jpg

IMG20201011172024.jpg

IMG20201011172031.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Another reason why Aptychen are often so well preserved is that their original substance is stable calcite as opposed to the aragonitic shells of the ammonites. This is a great report! Keep up the good work!

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

22 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Another reason why Aptychen are often so well preserved is that their original substance is stable calcite as opposed to the aragonitic shells of the ammonites. This is a great report! Keep up the good work!

Thank you! Agree, but in other sites I've seen, aptychi are not preserved at all. It has also something to do with the Kimmeridgian, I saw similar big aptychi in your Kimmeridgian reports

7 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Most of the finds on the last day of the trip

IMG20201015091705.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Thank you! Agree, but in other sites I've seen, aptychi are not preserved at all. It has also something to do with the Kimmeridgian, I saw similar big aptychi in your Kimmeridgian reports

I was wondering the same thing, although interestingly enough, they are also abundant in the Lower Jurassic Toarcian shales at Holzmaden.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Great report as always RuMert! Very informative. The scenery, strata, and finds are amazing. Thanks for sharing! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

9 hours ago, RuMert said:

Most of the finds on the last day of the trip

IMG20201015091705.jpg

Guess that's all for now, thanks for reading:)

Now that's a haul! Hope the weather is good enough for another visit. Very promising finds. The tooth does not look like with shark, probably marine reptile, so the place is awesome! 

@RuMert Thank you very very much much for your field trip report with all the great pictures! I really like the Anaptychus  (the rarest find you have shown in this thread) and the high contrash Ammonite plate.

I have to confess I immediatley checked the flights Berlin-Uljanowsk, but have to realise they did not fit in my budget (and in corona-times). :s_cry:

Best regards from the Baltic Sea

Thank you everybody!

2 hours ago, Dimitris said:

Hope the weather is good enough for another visit

Now in spring:)

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

checked the flights Berlin-Uljanowsk

I guess there are a couple flights from Moscow, that's all:)

What stunning scenery!!! 

And what fantastic finds!!!

I love all of the inverts, especially the ammonites (some of them were huge!), but the vertebrate fossils are awesome, too!  Congratulations on finding your first tooth and associated ichthyosaur vertebrae from this site! :Smiling: