JessStec

Here's a pic of a walrus tusk and a sperm whale tooth I found on google images (posted on an auction site). My best guess for the item in question would be a heavily beat up walrus tusk based on the apparent striations near the base.

Antique Walrus Tusk & Sperm Whale Tooth, ca. 19th Century , 09.22.07, Sold:  $310.5

• I found this Informative 2

Sabers usually about 8 inches but they have some at 11 inches  hey I'm for whatever it really is I just can't think of much more 

Oh cleeeearrly it is not a tooth what was I thinking ... Really..? .. it was clearly debatable for people ..I said fossil I didn't  know what it was that was the oh so unintelligent guess but either way def appreciate your answer thank you 

4 minutes ago, JessStec said:

Oh cleeeearrly it is not a tooth what was I thinking ... Really..? .. it was clearly debatable for people ..I said fossil I didn't  know what it was that was the oh so unintelligent guess but either way def appreciate your answer thank you 

@JessStec

My comment was not meant to demean your suggestion in any way.  Please accept my apologies if it came off that way.  

Most fossil teeth exhibit enamel of some kind.  This object does not.  Having the shape of a tooth is a fairly low bar, so that is not a definitive enough characteristic.  As I said, it does seem to have the characteristics of fractured ivory.  I would suppose that it is fairly soft in hardness.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey! I can actually help for once! I can put the saber not saber debate to rest!

saber tEeth are much thinner in cross section then that piece is. Example below..

AF2E433C-F14D-494E-88A0-A4403FAEC813.jpeg

582CDE94-3C77-4B35-A621-2090073B76EB.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

20 minutes ago, JessStec said:

Again, a tusk is just a big tooth. The shape is wrong to be a cat tooth though.

As I was just beaten to the post to say. :)

10” Texas Smilodon canine for comparison.  Note the flattened cross section throughout length, closed root, “pinching” curvature of root, etc.  I’m leaning toward tusk for your specimen, of which animal I can’t ascertain from here, but a great find.

8E79CD44-FE6A-401F-A342-C1209A7E0B9C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Is it safe to say that the almost scaly pattern on the surface (original post) is from the separation of layers in the arrangement that manifests itself in the form of Schreger lines ?  

On 29.10.2020 at 2:54 PM, Rockwood said:

Is it safe to say that the almost scaly pattern on the surface (original post) is from the separation of layers in the arrangement that manifests itself in the form of Schreger lines ?  

I do not know for sure, but I could well imagine there being other regular structures in teeth of non-proboscideans that could explain the pattern without being schreger-lines.

the cross section appears to be quite slim for a proboscidean tooth I think, although maybe not slim enough for a sabertooth.

I am 90% sure it is not a whale. Dont know much about early walrusses though.

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

What about that one?

I think PaleoNoel got it right.

• I found this Informative 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

the wearing/weathering pattern reminds me more of a tusk

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'