Josesaurus rex

Hello, some time ago I bought these plates with some fish and I would like you to please help me with the identification.  In the original post it said nothing, only that they were part of a set from Ulrich Quarries by Wallace Ulrich.  The smallest arrived safely, but the largest had to be cleaned to discover more the fossil and unfortunately it arrived completely broken.  With patience I cleaned the fossil and with super glue I managed to join most of the pieces.  Now that it is clean, can any treatment be done to prevent parts of the fish from shedding further?  With some kind of varnish or lacquer, or something else?  I would appreciate your help please.

66C611DE-2B9F-42D9-829A-4F0FA0C296DD.jpeg

FEEF6569-7639-4572-803C-572C607C36B7.jpeg

AD55E321-9F97-473D-B9E9-FF4D9358F300.jpeg

3AFB46C1-24D3-446A-9036-EB57EF26D017.jpeg

Perdonome señorJose, pero esta forum usa la lingua ingles.  Si quiere mas ayuda, necesita escribe en ingles, por favor.

Excuse me señor Jose, but this forum uses the English language. If you want more help, you need to write in English, please.

Gracias, señor

Thank you, sir.

Hola,
los peces probablemente vienen de la galería de Ulrich en Kemmerer Wyoming (Eoceno Medio, Formación Río Verde). El pez grande es un Mioplosus labracoides, el pequeño es un Knightia eocaena. Trataría a los peces con una solución diluida de una pintura (por ejemplo Paraloid B72).

Hello,
the fish probably come from Ulrich's gallery in Kemmerer Wyoming (Middle Eocene, Green River Formation). The big fish is a Mioplosus labracoides, the small fish a Knightia eocaena. I would treat the fish thinly with a diluted solution of a paint (for example Paraloid B72).

Link: Home - Ulrich's Fossil Gallery

Thomas

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

32 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Perdonome señor Jose, pero esta forum usa la lingua ingles. Si quiere mas ayuda, necesita escribe en ingles, por favor.

Disculpe señor José, pero este foro usa el idioma inglés. Si desea más ayuda, debe escribir en inglés, por favor.

Gracias, señor

Gracias Señor.

forgive me, I wrote the question in Spanish but I did not pay attention to copying the text, which was not the English version, thanks for your observation.  it is already corrected:DOH:

• I found this Informative 1

No hay problema. Gracias por comprender nuestras limitaciones. :tiphat:

No problem at all.  Thank you for understanding our limitations.

53 minutes ago, oilshale said:

Hola,
los peces probablemente vienen de la galería de Ulrich en Kemmerer Wyoming (Eoceno Medio, Formación Río Verde). El pez grande es un Mioplosus labracoides, el pequeño es un Knightia eocaena. Trataría a los peces con una solución diluida de una pintura (por ejemplo, Paraloid B72).

Hola,
los peces probablemente provienen de la galería de Ulrich en Kemmerer Wyoming (Eoceno medio, Formación Green River). El pez grande es un Mioplosus labracoides, el pez pequeño es Knightia eocaena. Trataría el pescado en una capa fina con una solución diluida de pintura (por ejemplo, Paraloid B72).

Enlace:  Inicio - Galería de fósiles de Ulrich

Thomas

Well thank you very much.:)  I have already saved the names of the specimens.  Regarding conservation, apart from Paraloid B-72, will there be an alternative method in case I can't get it?

20 minutes ago, grandpa said:

No hay problema de heno. Gracias por comprender nuestras limitaciones. :tiphat:

No hay problema. Gracias por comprender nuestras limitaciones.

Sure, no problem.  On other occasions that I have asked in the forum, it has been in English, I was surely distracted, haha.  Cheers :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Josesaurus rex said:

Well thank you very much.:)  I have already saved the names of the specimens.  Regarding conservation, apart from Paraloid B-72, will there be an alternative method in case I can't get it?

Some people use Butvar resin instead of Paraloid B-72. I've only used Paraloid B-72 so I can't personally speak to the quality. People used to use shellac but because it discolors with age I wouldn't use it. Paraloid is popular for a reason.

I know of people who have used hairspray or art fixative to stabilize Green River fish. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

21 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I know of people who have used hairspray or art fixative to stabilize Green River fish. 

I get great results with quick Crete acrylic fortifier!

On 23/11/2020 at 0:30, Fossildude19 said:

Sé de personas que han usado laca para el cabello o fijador de arte para estabilizar los peces de Green River. 

Sounds interesting.  He had really thought about it, but wasn't sure whether to use hairspray or not.  I'll test how it turns out on a small part of the fossil then.

On 22/11/2020 at 21:45, Thomas.Dodson said:

Algunas personas usan resina Butvar en lugar de Paraloid B-72. Solo he usado Paraloid B-72, por lo que personalmente no puedo hablar de la calidad. La gente solía usar goma laca, pero debido a que se decolora con la edad, no la usaría. Paraloid es popular por una razón.

Well, I will find out what the use of Butvar resin consists of as well.  Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Josesaurus rex said:

Well, I will find out what the use of Butvar resin consists of as well.  Thank you.

resin implies two chemicals mixed together.  Butvar is not a resin, it is plastic dissolved in acetone.  When you use it, the acetone evaporates leaving the butvar as a glue or coating.  I personally do nor coat Green River fish fossils.  

13 minutes ago, jpc said:

resin implies two chemicals mixed together.  Butvar is not a resin, it is plastic dissolved in acetone.  When you use it, the acetone evaporates leaving the butvar as a glue or coating.  I personally do nor coat Green River fish fossils.  

Per Wikipedia, “In polymer chemistry and materials science, resin is a solid or highly viscous substance of plant or synthetic origin that is typically convertible into polymers.”

Talasonline, the manufacturer and seller of Butvar, describes it as a resin.

07000594-2EFA-4AE0-94A0-159E968AA7BA.png

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2020 at 9:01 PM, jpc said:

resina implica dos productos químicos mezclados. Butvar no es una resina, es plástico disuelto en acetona. Cuando lo usa, la acetona se evapora dejando el butvar como pegamento o recubrimiento. Yo personalmente no cubro los fósiles de peces de Green River.  

At last, I opted to use hairspray to coat the fish as mentioned by Fossildude19, and was quite happy with the result.  I decided to coat them because various parts of the larger fish had detached, even when I blew it gently while cleaning the stone debris.

5 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

¡Hiciste un gran trabajo al volver a pegarlo! ¡Se ve maravilloso!

Thanks, in the same way, it was a good learning experience, and I was satisfied with the result, for it was the first fossil that I had to rebuild.