Fossil antler pieces?

LBI

There was quite a similar question less then a day ago:

At least the left one looks somewhat similar!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

49 minutes ago, Sam hooks said:

I know I am possibly wrong but they look like fossil calf bones

Not calf bones, notice the definite curve. I would say they're either rudist bivalves like Rockwood said, or they're petrified wood pieces?

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

Here's a third option - they are ichnofossils, burrows.  :Confused05:

And no, @Rockwood, there is an entire licensing process required to become an honorary Texan, including a rather comprehensive test - both written and physical. 

Not just anyone is allowed that honor.  :shakehead:  :BigSmile:

But you are quite welcome to come visit our state and take back some of our wonderful fossil bounty if you'd like.  :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 6

I agree with @grandpa.  All the inclusions in the matrix suggest a burrow cast.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, grandpa said:

And no, @Rockwood, there is an entire licensing process required to become an honorary Texan, including a rather comprehensive test - both written and physical. 

Not just anyone is allowed that honor.  :shakehead:  :BigSmile:

I think becoming an honorary member of Texas is like AA with its 12 step program.

After cozying up to a Texan for a while I feel like I’m only on step 3. It’s a hard club to get into! :P 

Incidentally I’m on the fossil burrow wagon.

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

These look like flow stone to me, however they could be this rhizoliths ( plant root ichnofossils)

We got any location/formation data?

Without that info its all just WAGS.

~Honorary Texan... have a gun rack in my VW bug...:default_rofl:

15 minutes ago, LBI said:

What is flow stone? I’m still new at this, so I guess I’ve never heard of or seen any. 

Minerals precipitated as the water they are dissolved in evaporates. Commonly found in caves, and near mineral springs.

Hard to say what they are, but I think they are not rudist remains. :santasmile:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks Rockwood. We do have some caves and during normal rainfall periods, springs and seeps are abundant. So flowstone would be like replacement fossilization, but without replacing anything?

48 minutes ago, LBI said:

Thanks Rockwood. We do have some caves and during normal rainfall periods, springs and seeps are abundant. So flowstone would be like replacement fossilization, but without replacing anything?

47 minutes ago, LBI said:

Or more like a cast or mold?

I see no reason that flow stone couldn't produce replacements, or casts. It would just be sort of a more open system. 

If they are casts, weathering could explain the look. I do see why the others are doubting it though.

49 minutes ago, LBI said:

So flowstone would be like replacement fossilization, but without replacing anything?

48 minutes ago, LBI said:

Or more like a cast or mold?

Flowstone is not a fossilization process per se and need not have anything to do with preservation of past life.  It is rather a purely geologic process.  Familiar examples of flowstone  are found in area caves - stalagmites and stalagtites are a type of flowstone.  If you are familiar with these, you know what flowstone is and how it forms.  I do not believe that this is flowstone, however.  I stand by "burrows".

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

I do see why the others are doubting it though.

The surface of the "burrows" and the cross-sectional end photos do not look like flowstone to me.:shakehead: 

16 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

~Honorary Texan... have a gun rack in my VW bug...

BUT - @LabRatKing, Is that a VW bug Pick-up?  Be careful, the answer is critical to acceptance!  :default_rofl:^_^

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

BUT - @LabRatKing, Is that a VW bug Pick-up?  Be careful, the answer is critical to acceptance!  :default_rofl:^_^

@LabRatKing  To be accepted in Texas don’t talk religion or politics, talk paleontology and be friendly.

Remember the Alamo.

Eat Tex-Mex food, everything fried and especially barbecued beef brisket.

Ask how they correctly pronounce names. They don’t always use the original English, Spanish, German or French pronunciations hence the pronunciation of Amarillo. If you can correctly pronounce “Grosvenor” then a local might give you directions to a nearby good Pennsylvanian collection locality. 

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.