A question about chickenosaurus

Daniel Fischer

2 minutes ago, Daniel Fischer said:

The idea is to only use genes that already exist in a chicken

That would be something scientifically interesting: "How much Dino is really still in a chicken?".

However, lets wait a few decades, and hopefully everything can be simulated on computer, without harming any living being.

Franz Bernhard

I sit in the middle and have mixed feelings about the research project, but obviously, the vast majority of those who responded are against Jack Horner's work. We must remember that the benefits of such research, though very controversial (for good reason), may help to unlock methods to curing/controlling genetic diseases or improving or creating new foods. Look beyond the chickenosaurus and realize the techniques developed from this experiment may be used in the future to tackle much more productive projects with the methodology already discovered.   

Mike

On 2/2/2021 at 7:11 AM, minnbuckeye said:

I sit in the middle and have mixed feelings about the research project, but obviously, the vast majority of those who responded are against Jack Horner's work. We must remember that the benefits of such research, though very controversial (for good reason), may help to unlock methods to curing/controlling genetic diseases or improving or creating new foods. Look beyond the chickenosaurus and realize the techniques developed from this experiment may be used in the future to tackle much more productive projects with the methodology already discovered.   

Mike

However, much of the theory the project is using is already published on and studied. Why do a project that has a chance of helping with problems, when those resources could be used in direct experiments that are guaranteed to give information on a subject. My main objection is that it is useless, and that there are a lot better ways to study genetics, diseases, etc.

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

On 2/2/2021 at 9:11 AM, minnbuckeye said:

Mike

We have, can and do just that on a daily basis and there is no reason to grow a chickensaurus to do it, plus, his plans have been done already so there is no reason to do them a fifth time.

And, I speak from experience here: what works on a chicken or mouse or monkey doesn't work on a human...therefore this project of his is moot as there would be no benefits produced beyond "something cool" that gets attention.

Its a grab for attention and money like a sideshow freak on display rather than useful science.

• I found this Informative 1