Shellseeker

Unusual for a Saturday, I went hunting. Took this photo about 90 minutes in ... not too bad 3 nice Makos, and a couple of larger hemis. I did not find as much variety the rest of the day. This thread is not about what I found, but what I saw.

IMG_3936.thumb.JPG.2cab3e8eb5413ce99461995eaef0e7ae.JPG

I have Kayaked rivers and streams , upstream and downstream 100s of times... I note the antics of the birds.. when I arrive one scene. Some like Vultures,  Hawks,  Owls  see me/my kayak and head into the woods away from the river; Most little birds are oblivious... they ignore me. The Ibis, ducks and Herons are usually feeding on the shoreline. trying to catch a meal.. Mostly they continue eating until the nose of my kayak reaches their latitude and they take off initially in the direction that the kayak nose is pointing. They repeat this not more than 3-4 times and then on the 5th reoccurrence , they take off and then fly into the woods or much more likely , fly directly over my head,  back to where they came from....

But Kingfishers repeat this behavior MORE  than others up to 7 times in my experience.. Did I tell you, I really like Kingfishers best.. I have noted when they dive into water trying for a fish and indeed have enjoyed watching them catch fish many times... but never when they are leading me up or down stream.  

Today the distance I was kayaking was over 3 miles by river , maybe more.. It used to take me about 2 hours up and 15 minutes less with the current.. but I am getting older and slower...

Today a belted Kingfisher joined me almost immediately as I started back to my truck. I think it was one of the bigger males I had ever seen.... they can grow to 13 inches

766px-Belted_Kingfisher.jpg.7f866ed0f282935c88c57aecb7cb0860.jpg800px-Megaceryle_alcyon_femelle.jpg.2a9417cf6e3b5826908681d0ad3e878a.jpg

Generally, these are solitary birds and they are territorial, constantly chasing other Kingfishers away. You will know that a Kingfisher is your area by their constant loud call, which sounds much like a machine gun!    

So,

I was about 40 feet away,  when I heard that Machine gun call,  looked up to see a female (?) on a dead branch and she immediately launches heading downstream...

This behavior was repeated 18 times in the next 2 hours... When I would come into view,  she just sat there, when I would approach within 20-25 feet, machine gun call,  launch , gone.

After a couple,  I felt she was waiting for me,  and started yelling "King Fisher, King Fisher and doing a poor imitation of a whistle...,  did not make a difference.. as I got close to 20-25 feet , she launched.  I could slow down her launching by going slower....or so it seemed .. 

At occurrence 15 or 16, I thought I lost her... Upon launching.  she took off directly into the woods...!!!!

But it was a right S curve and as I navigated the curve ,  there she was , waiting for me...

Occurrence #18... She landed on a branch of a tree directly over my morning launch site, and as I closed to 20  feet, repeated her call and launched downstream..

Please to anyone who has insight to bird behavior, please explain what was going on and why... why would she spend over 2 hours today with me.. ?

I had a GREAT day..  There is nothing better than communicating with a Kingfisher....

• Enjoyed 15

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I cannot explain the behavior, Jack, but, I love Kingfishers too. 

Saw my first one on the Lake I live near about three weeks ago.

Great report, and interesting interaction with the birds. 

Thanks for sharing it.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great little story and nice finds!

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Please to anyone who has insight to bird behavior, please explain what was going on and why... why would she spend over 2 hours today with me.. ?

To answer this, I *think* she was just curious, while still remaining somewhat cautious. She probably didn't know what you were and wanted to investigate, but also didn't think you were an immediate threat - though she wasn't gonna take too much risk to find out.

Birds, like many other animals, are often much more intelligent than we think, and also exhibit lots of variation in personality, even within a species. Some are brash and territorial, some are inquisitive, others are shy and skittish... Much like humans! And this female may have been equally curious about you as you were about her.

Now I've never seen a Belted Kingfisher myself and have no insight into their behavior, but I've spent quite some time with the Common Kingfisher of the UK in the last couple years - while I've never had one of them do something comparable to yours, I do know that when the kingfisher is distressed it will fly around eratically in irregular loops/circles while calling repeatedly, and not land on a perch. Which doesn't sound like what your bird was doing - so I doubt she was greatly worried by your presence.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can give a more authorative answer though!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Jack was in the Kingfisher's territory which may be a thousand yards along that river. Curiosity? perhaps. Keeping watch over her territory - for sure. Socially interacting with humans? Sometimes perceived as that in a human's head but not in the bird's. Japanese consider them lucky as do Alaskan anglers, charter guides, fishermen ( from 24 years of personal experience fishing in Alaska ) ...while Malaysians consider them a bad omen.  It's just a bird. But being a birder it's a favorite of mine while fishing and birdwatching. Sadly, they have a very short lifespan on average of 2 years and may only mate once. Enjoy the moments when you see one.

• I found this Informative 2

14 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

what was going on and why

My guess is that she was leading you away. Certainly not nesting season, but their behavior is pretty hard-wired.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

3 hours ago, SPrice said:

Jack was in the Kingfisher's territory which may be a thousand yards along that river. Curiosity? perhaps. Keeping watch over her territory - for sure. Socially interacting with humans? Sometimes perceived as that in a human's head but not in the bird's. Japanese consider them lucky as do Alaskan anglers, charter guides, fishermen ( from 24 years of personal experience fishing in Alaska ) ...while Malaysians consider them a bad omen.  It's just a bird. But being a birder it's a favorite of mine while fishing and birdwatching. Sadly, they have a very short lifespan on average of 2 years and may only mate once. Enjoy the moments when you see one.

I learned some things from your post... "a thousand yards".... "lifespan on average of 2 years"...  "Enjoy the moments"   

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

48 minutes ago, Auspex said:

My guess is that she was leading you away. Certainly not nesting season, but their behavior is pretty hard-wired.

Chas,  I am really pleased that you made this one your 44406th post... 

Your insight would "fit" the facts, Hard-wired instinct (leading a possible predator away much like Killdeer do), not actively hunting, nothing to do but patrol the territory.  Looked at me frequently might be checking that I am still following and allow me to approach close...  Just natural for her..

But as a human,  I could temporarily let go these chains of reality and practice a little interspecies communication.  Thanks to all who responded.    Jack

• Enjoyed 3

Nice experience, red robins show similar behaviour when I work in the garden. They check out if there is something to eat when I disturb ground and are in general curious.

On 11/19/2023 at 3:11 PM, R0b said:

Nice experience, red robins show similar behaviour when I work in the garden. They check out if there is something to eat when I disturb ground and are in general curious.

You should enjoy this human _ robin interaction on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyFjRXHJa6I 

• Enjoyed 1

Beautiful bird!  I'm fascinated by kingfishers, specifically their ability to hover in flight.  Amazing!

Last year I spotted a Marianas Kingfisher while I was shelling at a cove in southern Saipan. I must have spent an hour and a half watching it catch insects.  Photo of a Marianas Kingfisher below

Kingfisher.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

nice lower xiphodon 

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

3 hours ago, hemipristis said:

nice lower xiphodon 

At 41 mm,  not large but attractive. I find few of these compared to the Broad form, maybe 1 in 10.

IMG_3963ce.thumb.JPG.0de6f311b4de0beae929a6b6c977ff8f.JPG

IMG_3965ce.thumb.JPG.9f82efcb265cdd81df3e22f8504a91e3.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

Very interesting. 

like you i develop human connections to the animals that watch or hang out. Birds, alligators , squirrels etc. Part of enjoying them. While fully aware they are actually watching me(in reality probably watching Mille), calling them “buddy” or “pal” brings them into the group. I’m not necessarily lonely out by myself but it’s more communal exchange.  A fuller experience. 

After my granddad passed last year there was a blue Herron that kept “following” me.  Granddad was a huge bird watcher. Built super intricate purple headed Martin houses for a hobby. Being very close to the funeral I let myself enjoy the moment. Imagining him as a bird hanging out with me.  As you have laid out, Herons have a tolerance before the say enough and circle around back to where you probably first saw them. This Heron flew into the woods and I decided, “this must be the spot! Thanks GD!” 

It was not the spot. So if it was my granddad he’s a terrible fossil hunter. 😉

stay warm! 

Jp

• Enjoyed 2