Dinosaur “shed”?

TheItalianPaleo

Hi everyone,

So today i was researching for a quality tooth, like a Daspletosaur one or an Allosaurus one.

Suddendly i notice a tooth that says “Morrison Formation Allosaur/Ceratosaur “shed” tooth”

It was in a Matrix, and i never seen in my life a tooth of this caliber, it was very strange.

It was like the root was splitted in many pieces, giving you the sensation that the tooth was fused with the matrix.

So the question are, what’s the meaning or description of the phrase “shed tooth”? Is a good piece?

if you need photo ask me

Notice: I have only seen Ceratosaurus tooth with 3 mm in leght, and this is 3/4 cm long, so I think it would be (if it is a good piece) a good opportunity

I believe a shed tooth means it fell out while it was still living like when humans lose "baby teeth" and new ones grow in which makes them more common than rooted teeth

• Enjoyed 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Theropods constantly replace their teeth.  So the active(functional) tooth at some time is either lost during feeding or pushed out by the replacement tooth. These are shed teeth and do not have any root.  A photo of the specimen in question can help.  

It also occurs in herbivores 

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Theropods constantly replace their teeth.  So the active(functional) tooth at some time is either lost during feeding or pushed out by the replacement tooth. These are shed teeth and do not have any root.  A photo of the specimen in question can help.  

It also occurs in herbivores 

Do you think is a good piece? (By the way I think it’s an Allosaur but I concede these job to the experts)

3EEAC7C2-2D30-4ED2-86E9-0937A9EBD940.jpeg

22360D6D-FB4F-47B6-A33B-A2543B369FD7.jpeg

622BE04C-D7E5-47E4-A07D-E1E7AD710305.jpeg

Edited by TheItalianPaleo

First I'm not sure how anyone can assign the tooth to a specific species given its poor presevation.  A tooth on matrix is not uncommon.   The tooth itself is not in good in shape, it's broken, missing serrations and the tip and parts of the base, looks like glue on the crown.   Its a very poor specimen from the Morrison that I would avoid unless you just want an example of one.  There are much nicer teeth out there.  

Yeah I now there are other specimens online, but costs over my budget, so a serrated allosaur/ceratosaur is very rare.

I would like a one that costs like my budget, but not nanotyrannus or spino or raptor ones.

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

I understand budgets are always a consideration.

Do you have any suggestions? Like a good site that sells a price like my budget 

Nice teeth from the Morrison are not cheap.  I'll PM you a couple of online sellers but I have no idea what they are currently offering