Conodont cluster with soft tissue maybe?

Bonehunter

Good evening again!. Amazing what you can find jut scanning shale after shale! :heartylaugh:I find multiple clusters of conodont segments and denticles but tonight's find is potentially very exciting!. Surrounding the elements is a finely granular, uniform, brown matrix which is not shale (arrow) and not sediment (at least my thought :fingerscrossed:. I see this on occasion in shale but this is the first time I've found it uniformly surrounding conodonts. to me it appears organic. Thoughts? thanks so much again!!!  Bone

607007487_conodontcombinationofteethandtissue.jpg.9c3b71b35c82b590390b6e7af8f9a2e1.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@GeschWhat Coprolite?

Ahhhh even better!!.......then there was a lot of _________ in the ocean at that time!!!  :rolleyes: Thanks!   Cool to think something ate the conodont!!!!   Thanks!  Bone

Coprolite would be my guess but I'd wait to see what GeschWhat has to say. I feel like I've seen this kind of thing in a paper before but a (very) short search only yielded the following paper for images. There's otherwise a lot of mentions of conodont-bearing coprolites in papers found on google.

The first direct evidence of a Late Devonian coelacanth fish feeding on conodont animals

• I found this Informative 4

I agree with the coprolite ID. The matrix surrounding the conodont elements looks like phosphate, which is what makes up most coprolites. The general appearance of the fossil also resembles many of the split coprolites that I have found that contain fish material. Nice find.

• I found this Informative 1

36 minutes ago, Petalodus12 said:

I agree with the coprolite ID. The matrix surrounding the conodont elements looks like phosphate, which is what makes up most coprolites. The general appearance of the fossil also resembles many of the split coprolites that I have found that contain fish material. Nice find.

Soooooo cool!!!!! Thank you very much!!!........ Bone

Okay, as soon as I saw this, I got really, really excited! :Jumping: It sure looks to me like conodonts were on the menu! Super, super cool find! Did I mention this is a super cool find? Kind of gives a whole new meaning to roughage. This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool! I think this should be submitted as fossil of the month. 

HappyPoo2.gif

• I Agree 4

@Bonehunter Where was this found, age, formation? 

Associations of conodonts may be scientifically valuable. We may be able to find a researcher to look at them.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@Bonehunter Where was this found, age, formation? 

Associations of conodonts may be scientifically valuable. We may be able to find a researcher to look at them.

REALLY? ARE YOU SERIOUS?- THAT WOULD BE FABULOUS!!!   
Thank you!!  I tried contacting the Pander Society but I've never had a response- yes, please let me know!!  Bone

2 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Okay, as soon as I saw this, I got really, really excited! :Jumping: It sure looks to me like conodonts were on the menu! Super, super cool find! Did I mention this is a super cool find? Kind of gives a whole new meaning to roughage. This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool! I think this should be submitted as fossil of the month. 

HappyPoo2.gif

WHAT?..........ARE YOU SERIOUS TOO??----I am fascinated with all this!!!- If you think it should be on Fossil of the Month, then I'll submit it in just a few minutes! :) I am SOOOOOOOO  excited!!  These comments make it all worthwhile!!!!!- THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!.....   Bone

1 hour ago, Misha said:

I agree with everyone else, it's a super cool find!

Thanks!!!- I am so twitter-pated !!!! :) Bone

13 hours ago, Petalodus12 said:

Ah ha!!!- thank you so much for elevating my knowledge!!!... It is just so cool to think of some fish swimming in the 300m -year-old ocean hunting conodonts!!!!!......thanks, thanks thanks!!

Bone

@Carl may be able to suggest a researcher to take a look at this find.  I agree it may well be scientifically important.

Don

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Bonehunter said:

WHAT?..........ARE YOU SERIOUS TOO??----I am fascinated with all this!!!- If you think it should be on Fossil of the Month, then I'll submit it in just a few minutes! :) I am SOOOOOOOO  excited!!  These comments make it all worthwhile!!!!!- THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!.....   Bone

100% serious! I look at coprolites almost everyday. I especially love the tiny ones. I picked up a conodont tooth years ago. Even though coprolites are my thing. I thought they were cool because you wouldn't know you had a fossil without magnification (at least with my eyesight). The fact that you found them in a coprolite is simply amazing. I don't know if you will win fossil of the month, but in my book you definitely took coprolite of the year. To the administrators, I really think we should at least have an ichnofossil of the month category. 

51 minutes ago, Bonehunter said:

Ah ha!!!- thank you so much for elevating my knowledge!!!... It is just so cool to think of some fish swimming in the 300m -year-old ocean hunting conodonts!!!!!......thanks, thanks thanks!!

Bone

This is why I LOVE coprolites. They provide a moving picture of life. Thank you for sharing your find!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

To the administrators, I really think we should at least have an ichnofossil of the month category. 

:P  The 'shark tooth people' and 'trilobite people' are in line ahead of the 'trace fossil people'...that puts it on the schedule for 2036!

But seriously, what is the best guess as the pooper of this spikey dropping...a vertebrate or invertebrate?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

:P  The 'shark tooth people' and 'trilobite people' are in line ahead of the 'trace fossil people'...that puts it on the schedule for 2036!

But seriously, what is the best guess as the pooper of this spikey dropping...a vertebrate or invertebrate?

No way to know. With coprolites, if we are lucky, we can identify what was on the menu, not who ordered the entrée. There are a few exceptions, but this isn't one of them.

As I suspected. 

To categorize this entry under our current FOTM guidelines, I wonder if the paleo environment of the geology could suggest a greater probability for vertebrate or invertebrate?

9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

As I suspected. 

To categorize this entry under our current FOTM guidelines, I wonder if the paleo environment of the geology could suggest a greater probability for vertebrate or invertebrate?

I have hunted similarly aged black shales, though they are freshwater and not marine in origin. From my experience, almost all of the coprolites I have found are from vertebrates. Usually I can tell this by their scroll or spiral shape. If a pattern like this can be seen from this fossil then maybe it could be narrowed down to either vertebrate or invertebrate.

3 hours ago, Petalodus12 said:

I have hunted similarly aged black shales, though they are freshwater and not marine in origin. From my experience, almost all of the coprolites I have found are from vertebrates. Usually I can tell this by their scroll or spiral shape. If a pattern like this can be seen from this fossil then maybe it could be narrowed down to either vertebrate or invertebrate.

I agree.  I think the odds lean heavily to vertebrate poop.

45 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I agree.  I think the odds lean heavily to vertebrate poop.

If you are thinking of a category, perhaps it might be better to submit them under the prey rather than the predator. In that case I would submit it under invertebrate. You can think of the coprolite like a mini field jacket. Further support for an ichnofossil category. ;)