Need help identifying footprint

scrabblemlhook

• New Members

Three of my family members found this footprint in Lake Powell, Arizona last October 2020. They differ in what they say the size is from 4 to 12 inches, but my husband is probably the most reliable measurer and saying 12 inches. They looked for more quickly but did not see any. The photo of scenery has a person in a white shirt in the upper central middle in the shadows it was right there or right below there where they found it. A university professor has said it is prehistoric. I did minor searching for clues and the only thing I have so far is it may be a therapod (dilophosaurus?) from the Kayenta formation. If we had to take someone to the exact location that is possible.  Thank you for any input....

IMG_4638.JPG  IMG_4632.jpeg

Cropped and contrasted:

IMG_4638.JPG.b514f08482efbe8c3afc2a57a75edbcd.jpeg

This looks more bird/pterodactyl like than theropodish, in my opinion. 

Toes are very thin for theropod.  :unsure: 

The lack of other footprints may point to this being a carving/geologic oddity. 

@Auspex  @Troodon   @LordTrilobite

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The first thing that came to my mind is a Therizinosaurus hand and I think the Therizinosaurus nothronychus species were found in the same area as your therophod footprint.

It seems to make sense because Nothronychus is a therapod,  it's a little smaller then a regular Therizinosaurus hand (just like nothronychus's hand) and it was found in the same area as the nothronychus.

I am still not sure this is a nothronychus and honestly it's probably not but this may be a possibility.

My first impression is that it was incised in the rock, rather than an impression in one-time mud.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Was it on a bedding plane or was it on the side of a rock? Was the professor saying that it was human made?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The beds are Triassic... no birds back then walking about.  And it NOT a pterosaur.   But is it a genuine footprint?  My default answer on questionable ones like this is that if there is a series of them, then that is an excellent argument for genuine footprints.  Without the series of footprints, it can be impossible to tell.  

This is also a great example of why we should include a scale in our photos.  Not to pick on you, but just to show an example.  There is huge difference between 4 and 12 inches.

• I Agree 2

The shape is quite odd. Over- or under-print maybe? Or just something else entirely.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Very Cool .  Lake Powell has been at all time low levels exposing rocks that can easily  pre-date dinosaurs/birds.  I agree with the comments questioning if its an actual footprint.   

the bottom of the impression appears to be devoid of the oxidation patina that covers the surface (probably not a bedding plane) and with unusually sharp edges; so, probably recent.

ciao

Edited by supertramp

I would wager that footless shapes resembling the would be heal of the print can be found indicating a different origin. The shape correlates well with the cracks as a potential factor in their production as well. 

• I found this Informative 1

I see a footprint-shaped depression, but given it is solo and with none of the usual anatomic indicators, with no other fossils or ichnofossils present, I have to play the voice of reason and chalk this up to a geologic oddity. Notice that some of the matrix that filled in the shape is still intact along the outer edge of the left-most "digit"