Something mysterious

Myrmica

I have wondered about this one for several years.  It is from the east side of Lake Turkana, in Kenya but I wasn't at the actual spot from where it was picked up, so I don't know anything about the specifics of the location.  This was one of at least a dozen specimens that I saw.  The other side looks the same as what you can see in the photo.  I have wondered if it could be a stromatolite but the shape is odd for that.  Could it be some sort of evaporative feature?  It is the only one I have, so I haven't tried cutting it open.  I'd love to hear some opinions.

Possible stromatolite.JPG

The sort of druzy pustules on some of the surface suggest a possible desert evaporite origin, but I've not seen anything quite like that before.

I think it's a fossil sponge. 

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Stromatolites and oncolites occur near the lake. 

http://awramik.faculty.geol.ucsb.edu/pubs/ABEL8201.pdf

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I agree with @Tidgy's Dad.

• Thank You 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks all.  I will pursue the stromatolite idea for now.  DPS Ammonite - thanks for the reference!  The thought of a sponge hadn't occurred to me because I didn't think that there would be a calcareous sponge in a freshwater system (?), and the specimen is definitely calcareous.  It also seems rather big for a calcareous sponge.  Hmm, but now you have be thinking..