Square Pickle

Welcome to the forum

It might be Ceratopsian 

Do you have some additional views, size,  formation and locality where it was found

33 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Welcome to the forum

Do you have some additional views, size and locality where it was found

Unfortunately I do not. It's a fossil I'm hoping to buy and this was the only photo the seller posted. I can tell you it was allegedly obtained through [redacted] and is certified though [redacted]. I've always enjoyed the study of dinosaurs, but I'm new to collecting fossils themselves. I usually don't but fossils outside of [redacted], so I'm not sure about the authenticity of [seller names redacted] fossils.

I’ve removed the seller names. As per Forum rules, we do not name sellers here. ;) 

As an FYI, certifications are only as good as an inkjet printer can produce as there is no official international body that certifies fossils. 

As a prospective buyer, you can exercise your right to inquire about location and request additional photos. A good seller would be happy to oblige. :) 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Well without additional information or photos there is no way to positively determine its what is being offered.  The seller should be able to tell you this information especially if you are interested in buying  it.  Provenance is key in identification of dinosaur teeth.

Yeah, I know that's why I'm hesitant to buy a lot of the fossils I've come across. Lol.

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

I’ve removed the seller names. As per Forum rules, we do not name sellers here. ;) 

As an FYI, certifications are only as good as an inkjet printer can produce as there is no official international body that certifies fossils. 

As a prospective buyer, you can exercise your right to inquire about location and request additional photos. A good seller would be happy to oblige. :) 

Thank you. I'm still learning to identify real teeth, frills, and bones from replicas. The technique I've used so far is to avoid pictures that make the fossil look "pretty". I figure if it's real, it would sell itself. If they take the time to polish it up or take glamorous photos of the fossil it seems disingenuin. In this case I could probably buy the fossil and post the pictures here afterwards. It's not particularly expensive which is what caught my attention to begin with, because the triceratops teeth I've found elsewhere were significantly more expensive and sold quite quickly.

Most sellers are buying from multiple sources, few are the actual diggers so teeth may pass through several hands before it gets to a collector.  Replicas are typically not an issue with North American teeth but its a good know your seller.  High end Trex teeth might be an exception..  The biggest issue with teeth is proper identification not fakes.   Moroccan teeth are a completely different story and you are dealing with restoration and composites.

All should provide you with photos and a provenance to be able to identify it otherwise move on to other sources.  Being new its good to keep posting your interest here on the forum. 

16 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Most sellers are buying from multiple sources, few are the actual diggers so teeth may pass through several hands before it gets to a collector.  Replicas are typically not an issue with North American teeth but its a good know your seller.  High end Trex teeth might be an exception..  The biggest issue with teeth is proper identification not fakes.   Moroccan teeth are a completely different story and you are dealing with restoration and composites.

All should provide you with photos and a provenance to be able to identify it otherwise move on to other sources.  Being new its good to keep posting your interest here on the forum. 

Yeah, I've noticed that with Rex teeth.. Real ones sell really high, and I've encountered a few fakes already. I figured I'd just buy some fragments from a trusted source to be sure they're the real deal. You can still get some decent sized fragments for a reasonable price. It's a shame to hear about the Moroccan fossils though. The first tooth I bought was from Morocco. It's the one pictured in my other post on the forum. The guy who sold it to me has a pretty impressive fossil collection so I trusted him when he said it was legit. That's all I could really do though. I've always studied the latest dinosaur research, but I'm clueless when it comes to the actual fossils. I'm from rural Illinois, so I've only laid eyes on a handful of legitimate dinosaur fossils in my life. Over here you either have to own them or know someone who does in order to lay eyes on one.

Edited by Square Pickle