Lets See Your Threshers

Sharks of SC

:startle: Sheesh were on Earth in MD did you find that? IMG_0609.JPG

I have a few guesses but you can pm me if you'd like to keep the place hush-hush ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

CMM ID'd it for me just to be sure as Triganotodus Alteri-Serrated Thresher

Trigonotodus alteri is a cusped giant thresher, not the serrated form, which I don't think has a proper name yet.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

This was mine but I traded it. :D

DSC01082.jpg

It's mine now, hahahaha LOL.

And I think you were happy with the trade, weren't you?

Regards,

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

Hi Siteseer

Here's one I found recently in Marylandpost-3033-12709094590274_thumb.jpg

That tooth is incredible! I'd like to see Fran Tarkenton, Cathy Lee Crosby & John Davidson brought back together, just to do a segment on this sinister beast.

-greel

It's mine now, hahahaha LOL.

And I think you were happy with the trade, weren't you?

Regards,

Martijn

Yes! You gave me some really great things B) Who else can say they have a whale shark tooth from the Netherlands + some other wonderful things ;) Please feel free to send more if you have any doubt in your mind :P :lol:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

That's why I made the Meg reference :o

(Wasn't challenging the ID :) )

Actually, Auspex, it's a legitimate question. Why isn't it a meg?

The answer is that right away we would be saying that the tooth is an upper lateral because of the degree of curvature in the crown. These days, we have the luxury of finding a meg dentition photo either in a book (Mark Renz' Megalodon: Hunting the Hunter) or a catalogue (Bone Clones) or online. When you look at an upper lateral in a dentition, especially when you allow for a tooth that size, you see that upper laterals have a clearly shallower basal root margin and a less-curved crown.

Actually, Auspex, it's a legitimate question. Why isn't it a meg?

The answer is that right away we would be saying that the tooth is an upper lateral because of the degree of curvature in the crown. These days, we have the luxury of finding a meg dentition photo either in a book (Mark Renz' Megalodon: Hunting the Hunter) or a catalogue (Bone Clones) or online. When you look at an upper lateral in a dentition, especially when you allow for a tooth that size, you see that upper laterals have a clearly shallower basal root margin and a less-curved crown.

also the lack of a bourlette

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Yes! You gave me some really great things B) Who else can say they have a whale shark tooth from the Netherlands + some other wonderful things ;) Please feel free to send more if you have any doubt in your mind :P :lol:

Well I can send you more, but then we have to sit around the necogiating table aain ;)

I am always interested in those Maryland and Virginia teeth :P

Regards,

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

great find MB !!!

Alopias exiga (probst,1879) Middle Miocene is very small and very rare .

I have some Alopias in my collection

also the lack of a bourlette

Yes, the funny thing is that I almost added that as a distinguishing character but it can be eroded away on a small meg that has suffered even minor transport or other abrasion. I have seen what looks like a weak bourlette (a neck/chevron with no dentine) on one specimen but I see so few of these I held back on mentioning it. Have you seen any like that?

Yes, the funny thing is that I almost added that as a distinguishing character but it can be eroded away on a small meg that has suffered even minor transport or other abrasion. I have seen what looks like a weak bourlette (a neck/chevron with no dentine) on one specimen but I see so few of these I held back on mentioning it. Have you seen any like that?

when its eroded away there is still that space where one once was on the threshers and makos they both can have what looks to be a bourlette but its basicly a dark line but i know what your saying.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow! I had completely forgotten about this thread!! Gizmo, Those are some STUNNING teeth. Bmore, nice rack o' threshers. And everyone - thanks for contributing. :)

bmorefossil and Gizmo ,

congratulation for your Threshers ; in Europe the Threshers is very difficult to find

• 3 months later...

2 3/16" Giant Serrated Thresher from South Carolina. The serrations are worn, but visible. However, the root is actually rather well preserved.

post-1261-022372700 1282452410_thumb.jpg

post-1261-024087200 1282452506_thumb.jpg

hey great finds. i didn't know you had found that many threshers when we talked. excellent. searching has been slow for me lately. no real rains here in summerville. not heavy enough. i found one thresher in my collection a few days back that i didn't realize i had. so i was happy adding those to the 2 benedini recently. love the threshers. get in touch when you get a chance. happy hunting B):)

Edited by fossiljunkie

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

HOLY COW THobern - thats one heck of a thresher!! I dont think Ive heard of one even remotely the same size from SC!