Lets See Your Threshers

Sharks of SC

So...Im not sure if this counts, but I was hoping someone would ID this as a thresher for me.

It was found in some limestone gravel, which is usually Eocene in age from Harleyville, SC.

post-2469-058325700 1283357895_thumb.jpg

CBK

So...Im not sure if this counts, but I was hoping someone would ID this as a thresher for

I don't think so; compare to Serratolamna. >LINK<

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 4 months later...

Another serrated thresher from the Morgan River, SC. 1 29/32". Next to 2 3/16" a 1 1/4" teeth.

post-1261-0-03192800-1295326792_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-80917000-1295326847_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-76276100-1295326889_thumb.jpg

Edited by THobern

Finally got around to cleaning this one. I found it a couple of years ago. 2 1/8 inches.

post-210-0-36149000-1295386005_thumb.jpg

A well serrated Giant Thersher; nice!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Finally got around to cleaning this one. I found it a couple of years ago. 2 1/8 inches.

post-210-0-36149000-1295386005_thumb.jpg

Wow!!! :wub:

What a beautiful specimen!! Congratulations!!

Not a shark tooth guy, but these look close. All from teeth I collected on Martha's Vineyard over the years. Not great teeth, but a rare site.

Great Teeth, Great Location. How long did it take you to find these?Thanks for posting,G

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

Great Teeth, Great Location. How long did it take you to find these?Thanks for posting,G

Vineyard teeth are few and far between. I collected there for over 20 years before the sites were deeded to the Wampanoag Indians by the government and subsequently closed to collecting. I am going to post some photos of my best teeth on this forum in the next few days.

Not a shark tooth guy, but these look close. All from teeth I collected on Martha's Vineyard over the years. Not great teeth, but a rare site.

Hey Steelhead,

Nice teeth! I was on the Vineyard this Summer for a few days with a buddy (East Chop).

As far as the teeth go, I don't think any of them are threshers. The top three appear to be mako. The second, third and last teeth on the bottom row are contortus tigers. The first on the bottom row may be a Parotodus benedeni (experts?). Other than that Im not sure.

Super cool teeth from a super cool locality - thanks for sharing them with us!!!

Happy hunting!!

CBK

Edited by Sharks of SC