Chengjiang Cambrian Biota Fossils

pleecan

Thanks for posting Eric... fossil specimens looks great!

Peter

Thanks, they're not bad for the money I guess..

Here's a closeup on the Kunmingella:

post-4372-0-91695200-1293692742_thumb.jpg

I see you've started more threads on the same topic.. will have to go look at them now!

Thanks, they're not bad for the money I guess..

Here's a closeup on the Kunmingella:

post-4372-0-91695200-1293692742_thumb.jpg

I see you've started more threads on the same topic.. will have to go look at them now!

There are some nice details in the photo....

Looks like you were one the other bidders for the same fossil.:)

There are some nice details in the photo....

Looks like you were one the other bidders for the same fossil.:)

You were bidding on the same one? I dont think I paid much for this one.. sometimes there are no other bidders and you get them for $.99 but I dont remember exactly for this one... I know that guy sells lots of the same type.

I wonder what all that orange hash is between the carapaces... are they appendages/etc from the same critter?

BTW do you or anyone else reading this know the species name of the Heliomedusa and the Isoxys? (I gather the Kunmingella is K. douvillei) The seller didn't have them in the listings.

Edited by Wrangellian

BTW do you or anyone else reading this know the species name of the Heliomedusa and the Isoxys? (I gather the Kunmingella is K. douvillei) The seller didn't have them in the listings.

Hi Eric, I have the Chengjiang Fauna bulletin from 1997 by Chen and Zhou. I'm sorry to report that it's looking a bit dated right now. I've discovered quickly that there's been a fair amount of addition, revision and shuffling among the species. It will take some serious homework to differentiate which species of Isoxys or Kunmingella you have. For instance, Kunmingella maotianshanensis by my reference is the valid species. Curiously it's absent from this list , but the good news is you have four others to choose from. You caught a break on Heliomedusa as there's only one acknowledged species, H.orienta. You can also try Global Names Index. It will allow you to search any genus or species regardless of its presumed precedence or validity.

Stumbling around with the Chengjiang Biota leaves me pondering one question:

What is the most recent and definitive scholarship on the subject?

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

One of the Best reference books for Chengjiang is ...

post-2446-0-06350700-1293791546_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the orange hash.... there are appendages on some of the crttiers carapace....

Isoxys auritus (Jiang 1982) both spines equal length

Isoxys paradoxus (Hou 1987) spines one is extremely longer than the other

Heliomedusa orienta (Sun & Hou 1987)

Thanks guys.. I think my Kunmingella looks the same as Peter's so I'll call it K. douvillei for now at least. For the Isoxys, I don't think mine has spines so that's still up in the air. I'll have to get that book if I can find it and afford it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well this topic skipped 2012 but here is my latest 'Chengjiang' acquisition (info says Guanshan Fauna - material looks identical) - labeled as Tuzoia sinensis. I would have included the reconstruction that was given but it really didn't look close enough to this.

post-4372-0-49085500-1361506066_thumb.jpg

visible carapace ~5cm long

Guanshan Fauna, nr Chengjiang

L. Cambrian

Lower part of Wulongqing Fm,

Gangtoucun Village, Kunming City, Yunnan, China

Here Tuzoia sinensis imaged with a Foveon camera Sigma SD10 with recent custom fabricated adapter (that is not on the market yet) to interface Konica Hexanon 40mm F1.8 at F11.

post-2446-0-48697000-1361530181_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-53886800-1361530207_thumb.jpg

Nice ones..

Kunmingella - I think I posted earlier in this thread a pic of one similar but with the individuals more spaced out than yours are. What are the dimensions on your individuals? Mine are small, about 3mm max.

That's my intent too, get it while you can, and because you can't get Burgess. I have not seen any trilo antennae yet. Yours are good but most of the stuff I see has bad prep job, looks like it was done sloppily with a scalpel and sometimes the fossil itself is gouged or pecked. I tried asking the seller if he would sell some unprepped pieces but apparently the answer is no. He won't get a proper prep setup to do the job right but won't easily let go of the unprepped stuff either.

Here is one of my favorite arthropods from the Chengjiang biota.

It is aa beautiful example of a rare Rectifacies abnormalis.

post-1202-0-25875800-1361584060_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-38135000-1361584171_thumb.jpg

Here is one of my favorite arthropods from the Chengjiang biota.

It is aa beautiful example of a rare Rectifacies abnormalis.

Nice specimen RC!

PS

This site with the new upgrades is totally unstable with Google Chrome browser... I edited and the result is a blank. So I had to start MS IE to re-edit this doc for the 3rd time. I will not use Google Chrome on this site ... as it is not stable. :(

Edited by pleecan