Unknown tooth in matrix ... leave or remove?

jerseygurl

Hello, 

I was going through my “toss” pile today from my local haunt and I noticed something black and shiny peeking out from one. So, I decided to (for the first time ever) break a find open. I was glad I did because I was pleased to find a tooth! No idea what it is, since it is still very much still in the material I found it in and I can’t match it to something I’ve found before. 
This is new territory for me and so I’m looking for advice. Should I leave it as is or try to remove it? 

035FEC0F-6777-4377-BDED-00DA0A839006.jpeg

29E521E5-4572-4164-8A5E-72FAF818855D.jpeg

02E98422-9135-434F-B203-04BA2688FBB4.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

As mentioned it does look like it can be the root of an Ischyrhiza rostral but I'm really not sold. Your pictures are pretty good but by any chance, can you take a few more? It's odd..

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, frankh8147 said:

As mentioned it does look like it can be the root of an Ischyrhiza rostral but I'm really not sold. Your pictures are pretty good but by any chance, can you take a few more? It's odd..

Hello!  Yes, I will take a few more when I have chance later today. Going to have to bust out a real camera, not my iphone. I am with you on the rostral, but I am not sold on it either. I the ones I have are shorter... and not as "bulbous" at the top.  Maybe I'll do a side by side of the two.  

I think I am going with the sawfish. Definitely a new find for me at this location (not a brook) and so I am super excited. I might leave it as is and clean around it a bit more.

This site is great https://njfossils.com/ischyrhiza-cf-avonicola/.. I have used it many time to learn and id finds.  Kudos to the owner if you are a member here!!! thank you

Edited by jerseygurl

4 hours ago, jerseygurl said:

I think I am going with the sawfish. Definitely a new find for me at this location (not a brook) and so I am super excited. I might leave it as is and clean around it a bit more.

This site is great https://njfossils.com/ischyrhiza-cf-avonicola/.. I have used it many time to learn and id finds.  Kudos to the owner if you are a member here!!! thank you

I do see what you mean and see the resemblance but I just wasn't 100% sure. Maybe 'in hand' it looks more obvious? Here are mine for comparison..

20201003_173439~2.jpg

8 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

I do see what you mean and see the resemblance but I just wasn't 100% sure. Maybe 'in hand' it looks more obvious? Here are mine for comparison..

Thanks!   You are correct... the "in hand" view is much better.  Looking at your photo...The tooth at position #1, top row is very similar to mine (from the Sea) that is referenced in this post.  Position #2, bottom row is similar to what I have collected from the NJ brooks.  It seems I only have a root, but I'm still happy.  Cheers!