RuMert

19 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

this looks a lot like the back part of a shell casing

Thanks for making this point. Munition-related objects are not to be excluded to be found anywhere, especially while fossil hunting when you sometimes wander into remote and forgotten places. Everybody should definitely stay away from them. 

As to this thing, I think it's something from an industrial object. I haven't heard of or seen anything military-related nearby

Edited by RuMert

10 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

All joking aside, this looks a lot like the back part of a shell casing. Obviously, the shell is not connected, but for anyone reading this, please back away from anything that may have been associated with a munition.  If you think I'm being sensationalist, then read this: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-06-12-me-6139-story.html

Just now, Paleorunner said:

I also see the rear of a shell of a projectile.
for me it is very clear.

10 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Thanks for making this point. Munition-related objects are not to be excluded to be found anywhere, especially while fossil hunting when you sometimes wander into remote and forgotten places. Everybody should definitely stay away from them. 

As to this thing, I think it's something from an industrial object. I haven't heard of or seen anything military-related nearby

even if it disagrees with the metal piece.
I congratulate you for such a beautiful reportage, and the excellent hunting.
Thank you.

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Possible, but IMHO it's pure coincidence. I haven't heard of anything military-related facility and didn't see other similar objects on the shore. But single munition-related objects are not to be excluded to be found anywhere. Everybody should definitely stay away from them. Still thinking it's something industrial

7 minutes ago, Paleorunner said:

I also see the rear of a shell of a projectile.
for me it is very clear.

Since I've never been to Europe or Eastern Europe, I defer to people that have local knowledge. For those in the US, just because it's in a wilderness area, it doesn't mean that people have not been there before. In fact, remote areas were attractive as training areas for the US military. If you intend to go out into the wilderness and pick up or excavate items, you really should familiarize yourself with potential munitions and the historical background of the area you want to visit. The US Army Corps of Engineers has some resources regarding munitions safety: https://www.usace.army.mil/Missions/Environmental/Formerly-Used-Defense-Sites/3Rs-of-Explosives-Safety-Information/

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for sharing Rumert! I always enjoy seeing your reports. Wonderful finds and scenery. That fat belemnite is my favorite! :wub:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks everybody!

Some comparisons:

Craspedites subditus ammonites from Kashpir, Ulyanovsk vicinity (2), Moscow

1.jpg

Ammonites from nodiger zone: my best Craspedites cf. kaschpuricus from Moscow (name derives from Kashpir BTW) and a typical Craspedites parakaschpuricus (Syzran), local nodiger zone index

2.jpg

My biggest belemnite so far (20 cm long, Peski, Moscow vicinity) and the "fat" belemnite

3.jpg

Edited by RuMert
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2