Is this fossilized bone? If so, what type.

Sage ONeill

• New Members

Hello, my son found this piece deep in the bed of a little creek that passes through our property.  We are in Northeast Washington.  Looks like bone to me.  Is it fossilized?  And does anyone know what it might be?  Thanks a ton for the help.  

20210703_102500.jpg

20210703_102504.jpg

20210703_102524.jpg

20210703_102533.jpg

Yes, it certainly looks like bone.  It also looks like a hollow bone.  What state and county was it found?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Affirmative. Appears lithified, but the flame test would help

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

• New Members

Thanks so much everyone.  We are in North Spokane County in Washington State.  I will look into doing a flame test on it.  Is there a way to figure out a good guess on what type of animal?  

Not a tell all but a good place to start is looking if you can get your geologic age here: http://www.fossilspot.com/STATES/WA.HTM

Sometimes places are more documented than others. In Pennsylvania where I am from some areas are Devonian while some are Silurian and so on. All depends on where/what the outcropping is. If you have the geologic age you’ll be much more likely to figure out what your bone is.

6 hours ago, Sage ONeill said:

Thanks so much everyone.  We are in North Spokane County in Washington State.  I will look into doing a flame test on it.  Is there a way to figure out a good guess on what type of animal?  

ID'ing fragments is extremely difficult.  Typically, if something comes from a known area and formation, it can be narrowed down to a range of possible animals, but thats about a close as you can get.  I would suggest looking up geologic maps for your area to determine the formation and age.  From there you should have decent success googling for known species in that formation. 

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin