Any tips for fossil hunting on the West Coast?

I love fossils

• New Members

Hey everyone!,

It’s my first time posting on here and I wanted to get some tips for a fossil hunting trip. I just finished finals and I wanted to start the summer off going on a fossil hunting expedition with my dad along the west coast. Does anyone have any information on either sites along the west coast to fossil hunt or any material to learn about the sites.

I’m really interested in concretions specifically crabs concretions, I don’t know why but I become obsessed with them recently and it would be a dream to find one and be able to do prep work on it. If anyone had any information on fossil crab sites or any material on them and would be willing to share please send my way!

I was also wondering what type of air scribe would be recommended for the concretions on the west coast. I have an air scribe now that I have to work on a few fossils from the green river formation (working on a phareodus fossil at the moment.) Unfortunately,I don’t think it’s not strong enough for the west coast rock. Again Any tips at all would be super helpful thank you!!

Welcome to the Forum from a former long time Californian.

What area are you from? I highly recommend joining a local paleontology, geology or rock society. They will have lots of great site info that is not on the internet.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Posted (edited)

If you're making your way up to Central Oregon, Moolack Beach and Beverly Beach are good spots to hit. Nicely preserved bivalves, gastropods, and even little bone chunks in matrix if you're lucky. State law just says no digging into the formation itself, but loose shale on the ground is fair game. No concretions as far as I know of. I have a go to spot for some very nice ghost shrimp/gastropod concretions, but it's all the way up in Northern WA. Feel free to DM if interested and you're planning on going as far north as the Olympic peninsula. 

Edited by Neanderthal Shaman