Tucson 2010 - Part 3

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Normally, I'm not one for shark teeth (put those tomatoes DOWN!) but I couldn't pass on this one.

post-2027-12660325724045_thumb.jpg

Notidanidon loozi from Morocco.

Does this send a tingle down you shark tooth lovers' legs? :P

My left arm went a little numb, is that close enough :D

That is a beauty

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest Smilodon

That shark tooth has a hole in it... But the little prisca is cool.

Thank you Captain Obvious. The shark tooth is certainly not cool compared to trilobites from notheast Oklahoma. :rolleyes: :lolu:

Actually, I prefer trilobites from southern Oklahoma. The fact that you and I have different tastes is better for the both of us... A little less competition for that which we desire the most. I never said the tooth wasn't cool. I just wouldn't be willing to pay what I'm sure it's worth.

Edit: I did sort of imply it wasn't cool.. That isn't what I meant. The fish just appeals to me more.

Edited by PaleoPutz

Guest Smilodon

Actually, I prefer trilobites from southern Oklahoma. The fact that you and I have different tastes is better for the both of us... A little less competition for that which we desire the most. I never said the tooth wasn't cool. I just wouldn't be willing to pay what I'm sure it's worth.

Edit: I did sort of imply it wasn't cool.. That isn't what I meant. The fish just appeals to me more.

To each his own, my friend.

excuse me 4 my ignorance about shark theet , this specimen came from cretaceous?

This tooth is most likely miocene, like some other cow shark teeth. I may be way off. This is the first time I have heard of this tooth. Anyone care to fill me in on where this bad boy fits in??? :unsure:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Notidanodon is the largest of the Moroccan cow sharks and is paleocene in age. They are rare to find unbroken, and now that the "cavity" was pointed out, I'm not so sure this one hasn't been repaired. It's hard to say whether or not there's a repaired crack from that cavity down. What's your opinion Smilodon, you've got the best chance to notice.

post-77-12661698403602_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest Smilodon

Northern.

I'm pretty sure it's not repaired. It's certainly not restored.

First, because of who I got it from. This fellow only deals in Moroccan material, but he is an Englishman. ;) Secondly, if asked, Brian will point out every flaw, if there is one, of any of his specimens. He took his glasses off to look at these - clean bill of health.

Second, he had plenty of these that were A WHOLE LOT cheaper. I asked why, he looked to make sure and said "because those are the restored ones."

I've included closeups of the front and backs of the first tooth and a second one I also bought. I see nothing on either one that shows any crack repairs in the roots, front and back. Curiously, tooth #2 also has a "crack" in the enamel in the same spot but again, no evidence of repairs.

I guess anything is possible, but it's passed the "sniff" test with two pretty experienced pairs of eyes.

I'm not being defensive here - just stating my opinions and observations. :thumbsu:

post-2027-12661746911149_thumb.jpg

post-2027-12661747093611_thumb.jpg post-2027-12661747300291_thumb.jpg

post-2027-12661747729457_thumb.jpg post-2027-12661748256577_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smilodon

Seeing the new pics of both sides, I agree that it looks to be unrepaired and totally drool-worthy. The darker tooth does seem to have a horizontal crack on the root, but I don't see it leading anywhere, just a partial. I LOVE THESE TEETH

Guest Smilodon

Seeing the new pics of both sides, I agree that it looks to be unrepaired and totally drool-worthy. The darker tooth does seem to have a horizontal crack on the root, but I don't see it leading anywhere, just a partial. I LOVE THESE TEETH

I am honored. :bow:

Smilodon, nice haul! Sounds like a great event to partake in. Impressive shark teeth, the ammonite/ammolite stuff is amazing. I do like the little Priscacara the best, though. But, where's the plants, man! No problem, just giving you a hard time! I did really enjoy the photos--thanks for sharing!

So, what was the craziest most expensive fossil someone had to offer? Anything way over the $30K you mentioned for the ammonite/ammolite? Just curious? Regards, Chris

Guest Smilodon

Smilodon, nice haul! Sounds like a great event to partake in. Impressive shark teeth, the ammonite/ammolite stuff is amazing. I do like the little Priscacara the best, though. But, where's the plants, man! No problem, just giving you a hard time! I did really enjoy the photos--thanks for sharing!

So, what was the craziest most expensive fossil someone had to offer? Anything way over the $30K you mentioned for the ammonite/ammolite? Just curious? Regards, Chris

Hmm, plant material. I just don't remember any from this trip although I showed you this from a couple of years ago, right?

post-2027-12662039098981_thumb.jpg

Tucson is a wonderland for us fossil freaks, but it's a big wonderland, and a lot of work for me. I go for 2 reasons - to find a cool item or two for me, but mostly to find material for resale. It's my main buying trip for the year. Quite frankly it takes 2 days just to visit the main fossil areas. Another two if you want to really cover more than just the main areas. Understand that fossils at Tucson are only about 20% of what Tucson is ALL about.

Given that I'm there for material to resale, There is a lot of stuff I don't pay any attention to, because my customer base just doesn't seem interested in. I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but I just walk past anything to do with trilobites, meg teeth, and dinosaur material I just can't sell the stuff at the shows I do. There are about 10 sellers I regularly do 90% of my buying with, but you have to visit with the other guys because you never know what they will have next year. Total regular sellers is about 200.

That said, there are always dinosaur skeletons for sale which I'm sure are the most expensive fossils, probably running into millions, but I just don't pay attention. I and my customers are attracted to out of the ordinary stuff. My god how many megs do you need or spinosaur teeth or knightias or many other things. In my first Tucson post, I handed out my annual Cool Fossils awards for a death assemblage plate with 20 virtually complete placoderms ($54K), a marsuplial lion mandible ($10K), and a archaeocete whale jaw for $45k. Actually I did have a large enough limit on my Visa for that marsupial lion jaw but my conscience said "Oh no you don't!" I think the most expensive non-dinosaur thing I've ever seen there is the famous $7,000,000 $1,000,000 Hyracotherium/ Eohippus (long story) and the $1,000,000 snake - both from Green River coincidentally.

I'm exhausted. I'm not venting, I'm just splainin' - uh, what was your question? :D

I got back home from Tucson this last Saturday. I can post some pictures of fossils that were at the show when I get a chance later this week.

If desired, I can also post a few pictures of minerals and gems.

Northern.

I'm pretty sure it's not repaired. It's certainly not restored.

First, because of who I got it from. This fellow only deals in Moroccan material, but he is an Englishman. ;) Secondly, if asked, Brian will point out every flaw, if there is one, of any of his specimens. He took his glasses off to look at these - clean bill of health.

Second, he had plenty of these that were A WHOLE LOT cheaper. I asked why, he looked to make sure and said "because those are the restored ones."

I've included closeups of the front and backs of the first tooth and a second one I also bought. I see nothing on either one that shows any crack repairs in the roots, front and back. Curiously, tooth #2 also has a "crack" in the enamel in the same spot but again, no evidence of repairs.

Yes, Brian is one of the most honest dealers. I have been buying from him for over twenty years. He always has interesting Moroccan teeth (dinosaurs, bony fishes, sharks). I saw some Leptostyrax teeth from the Cenomanian locality (where the Spinosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, lungfish, Onchopristis, and hybodont spines come from) and thought about getting one (already have one but want another one) but they were all gone the next time I visited. I ended up getting one of the T-shirts and a Squalicorax bassanii or S. yangaensis that I still have to compare to some papers and elasmo.com.

Brian does some great trilobite prep too. If I were into trilobites and wanted a real Moroccan one, I would buy from him.

Brian still had a couple of Notidanodon uppers too. I thought about buying one of those too (much cheaper at $15 each).

For a while Notidanodon teeth were available from an Early Cretaceous site in Russia and they also come out of the Woolwich Bottom Beds at Herne Bay, England but it's tough to get one from either of those localities these days. I have an incomplete lower from Morocco and have been happy with that though you can get a nice one for $75-100 if you look around.

I have read at least one opinion (Purdy et al., 2001, the third Lee Creek volume) stating that Notidanodon may simply be a large variant of Notorynchus with enlarged mesial serrations. It's something to think about.

Hmm, plant material. I just don't remember any from this trip although I showed you this from a couple of years ago, right?

post-2027-12662039098981_thumb.jpg

Tucson is a wonderland for us fossil freaks, but it's a big wonderland, and a lot of work for me. I go for 2 reasons - to find a cool item or two for me, but mostly to find material for resale. It's my main buying trip for the year. Quite frankly it takes 2 days just to visit the main fossil areas. Another two if you want to really cover more than just the main areas. Understand that fossils at Tucson are only about 20% of what Tucson is ALL about.

Given that I'm there for material to resale, There is a lot of stuff I don't pay any attention to, because my customer base just doesn't seem interested in. I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but I just walk past anything to do with trilobites, meg teeth, and dinosaur material I just can't sell the stuff at the shows I do. There are about 10 sellers I regularly do 90% of my buying with, but you have to visit with the other guys because you never know what they will have next year. Total regular sellers is about 200.

That said, there are always dinosaur skeletons for sale which I'm sure are the most expensive fossils, probably running into millions, but I just don't pay attention. I and my customers are attracted to out of the ordinary stuff. My god how many megs do you need or spinosaur teeth or knightias or many other things. In my first Tucson post, I handed out my annual Cool Fossils awards for a death assemblage plate with 20 virtually complete placoderms ($54K), a marsuplial lion mandible ($10K), and a archaeocete whale jaw for $45k. Actually I did have a large enough limit on my Visa for that marsupial lion jaw but my conscience said "Oh no you don't!" I think the most expensive non-dinosaur thing I've ever seen there is the famous $7,000,000 $1,000,000 Hyracotherium/ Eohippus (long story) and the $1,000,000 snake - both from Green River coincidentally.

I'm exhausted. I'm not venting, I'm just splainin' - uh, what was your question? :D

Smilodon, thanks for all the info. Great info. Appreciate the Cordaites plant photo again---I never did track anyone down who could say where that thing went to...the Smithsonian folks were interested in knowing where it may have gone to if it was real.

I've been to several small shows but nothing like what you are describing---sounds like a very good time. Although, the one thing that happens after I go to a show...I then need to go out collecting somewhere! Thanks again for taking the time to describe your experience. Regards, Chris

Guest Smilodon

I got back home from Tucson this last Saturday. I can post some pictures of fossils that were at the show when I get a chance later this week.

If desired, I can also post a few pictures of minerals and gems.

I'd like to see those pics. I've found that every person's experience there is so different than your own