Tucson 2010 - Part 3

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Smilodon, thanks for all the info. Great info. Appreciate the Cordaites plant photo again---I never did track anyone down who could say where that thing went to...the Smithsonian folks were interested in knowing where it may have gone to if it was real.

I've been to several small shows but nothing like what you are describing---sounds like a very good time. Although, the one thing that happens after I go to a show...I then need to go out collecting somewhere! Thanks again for taking the time to describe your experience. Regards, Chris

Thank you for the kind words of appreciation - sometimes a fella gets to wondering around here. After my post about the lack of memorable plant material, I remembered that Bob and Bonnie (green river folks) did have a 10-12 foot palm frond on display. They didn't stand it up so it was very hard to get a good photo from the elevated, flat orientation of the specimen.

Not sure where you are, but the Tampa Bay Fossil Club show is coming up in a few weeks. It's one of the bigger and better local club shows around - then later in the year is the Orlando Club show and Tampa Mineral (and Fossil) Show. I know there are several others in FLA throughout the year - but they are nothing like Tucson.

I too just got back from Tucson this past weekend. Last year I only saw about five percent of the show, I made up for it this year, but still probably only saw 70 per cent. I wonder how many forum members I walked past? I've got a few pictures to post some time as well.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Adding to the Tucson threads;

I just got back from Tucson on Wednesday (everything technically closed down on Monday but it takes some time to organize the trip home) after spending 16 days there. We have a truckload of material for our upcoming auction June 6th, in Beverly Hills.

The big shows were the Tucson City Place (formerly Inn Suites), The Ramada Limited, and the Co-op but you do come across odd stuff at the other shows.

I built up quite a collection of opal fossils by visiting opal dealers at the gem shows and the electric Park, including finding an odd pentagonal opal scute from Lightning Ridge. I also got a very nice opalized wood slice with blue fire from Glen Hodson of Rainbow Ridge Opal Mines of Nevada.

Pictures may be up later.

-YvW

Next fossil auction: June 6th, 2010 - Beverly Hills, CA

http://historical.ha.com/NaturalHistory/

Check out our auctions and past auctions!

Here are a few photos of fossils at the Hotel Tucson City Center (formerly the Inn Suites) Ballroom. The trilobite slab and the ammonites are my favorites.

I'll post a few other pictures later when I find some time.

post-1365-12665541634075_thumb.jpg

post-1365-12665541769231_thumb.jpg

post-1365-12665541909873_thumb.jpg

post-1365-12665541993347_thumb.jpg

post-1365-12665542099917_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2ynpigo

Do you guys remember this one from a couple years ago?

post-2027-1266562256854_thumb.jpg

27 foot (straight line) Cretox from Kansas

Smilodon,

I missed that show but Glenn Rockers had a photo of it with him this year.

Gotta agree...how many Meg teeth can you stand to see? Personally, I would have been a puddle of joy over the snake... :wub::wub::wub:

Be true to the reality you create.

Guest Smilodon

Gotta agree...how many Meg teeth can you stand to see? Personally, I would have been a puddle of joy over the snake... :wub::wub::wub:

This snake from Messel required a bib when viewing

post-2027-12665944543707_thumb.jpg

Here's the opalized wood slice I picked up. Great blue fire! I can't wait to visit that site this summer. Too bad it's kind of off the beaten path (Denio, NV).

-YvW

post-2755-12666006427747_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a piece with just blue fire, excellent!

-PzF

Nice piece of pet wood!

Here's the opalized wood slice I picked up. Great blue fire! I can't wait to visit that site this summer. Too bad it's kind of off the beaten path (Denio, NV).

-YvW

post-2755-12666006427747_thumb.jpg

Guest Smilodon

So, I just talked to a dealer friend about how the show went for him. Sales were fine, but he related the following story:

My friend knows, among many other things, a lot about turtles. So one day he had to deliver something at a different hotel so he closed his room and left. After the delivery he browsed other dealers.

One, in particular, had a very strange turtle skull from Morocco. He described it to me as the worst fake job of a turtle skull he'd ever seen. My friend examined it more closely thinking this would be quick, but he could find no evidence of any fakery and he bought it.

Long story short, Mr Turtle at AMNH says it's a new species and probably a new genus!

Brisk sales and a new genus. Now that's a good Tucson.

It pays to pay attention to detail and to know your stuff! Cool story!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.