Gordon Hubbell Trip

edd

On the associated meg teeth that were found why is there just one row. i understand that the meg had 4-5 rows. were there teeth that were found with these that were not used?

It's explained in the text. It's a cast, so only a single file is displayed.

That place/collection looks very impressive. Watching that video about the great white jaw from Peru was hard to believe. Love the part where they compare its size to the Meg vertebrae. WOW! Thanks for the pictures/post. Regards, Chris

It's explained in the text. It's a cast, so only a single file is displayed.

oh..ok thanks alot!!

Miocene/Eocene

Well guys glad you made it to see Dr. Hubbell collection it's very cool huh? Mike you would love it I have been there a few times myself and it's like the first time each time I go. B)B)B):)

I know what you mean. I was there in November and have visited him at least twice before that since he moved to the Gainesville area. Anyone who really gets into sharks should try to get an invitation. On the walls and in a couple of cases is an incredible sample of modern shark and ray jaws. Some of them are hardly ever seen (deepwater forms). In other cases are not just nice single fossil teeth of the larger species but nice samples of various paleofaunas (Bone Valley, Pliocene of Peru, Sharktooth Hill, Moroccan phosphates, etc.) - teeth of the large and small. You could give a presentation on the history of sharks in that room with all the visual aids you would need already set up. One impressive item is that Cladoselache model which Gordon made himself and he prepped nearly all, if not all, the modern specimens.

Dr. Hubbell is certainly one of the greatest sharktooth collectors of the last few generations, not to mention he is so generous with his time,expertise and collection for everyone who has any interest in the field. He also has a great sense of humor about taking the whole subject too seriously. You gotta love the guy, he's one of a kind.

• 2 weeks later...

That was awesome, thanks for sharing.

Tim

Tim the Western NY Explorer