Imprint of a star within a circle on a stone

non

Hello, I'm from The Netherlands. (Excuse me if my English isn't perfect)

A few years ago I found this grey stone amidst the garden gravel near my house.

It was bigger and duller in comparison to the rest of the gravel.

When I inspected the stone I discovered that it wasn't so dull after all because on one side it had a small imprint of a star that appeared to be made out of tiny bumps and ridges that extend and surround the star itself in the shape of a circle.

I've always been curious to know what it is!

Fossil 1.jpg

Fossil 2.jpg

Fossil 3.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Roger was first!

Imprint of crinoid columnal facet.

Very nice! :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The cast of a tip of a blastoid would not have the vertical walls around like a crinoid columnal. I agree with crinoid impression.

image.png.31a42dac4ed064a86b778b9758238c30.png

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

In addition to the origin and age of the terrain in which the fossils are found, size is also important for proper identification. I invite you to read my last link in my signature. If you don’t have a rule, print the document I made available and put your fossils on it before making your photos, making sure to leave a box with the apparent size (pedagogical message) ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

If you have some modeling clay you could press it into the cavity for a better idea of what the original looked like. Like @Tidgy's Dad said, it is very unusual. I would love to see how it looked.

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

The cast of a tip of a blastoid would not have the vertical walls around like a crinoid columnal. I agree with crinoid impression.

image.png.31a42dac4ed064a86b778b9758238c30.png

It also looks a little like an impression of an edrioasteroid:

https://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2011/07/24/wooster’s-fossil-of-the-week-an-edrioasteroid-upper-ordovician-of-kentucky/

76DFF593-6058-4FC4-B096-CA15DB86CDE9.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

My first thought was echinoid, then blastoid. It just doesn't shout crinoid to me.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks everyone! It does look like it's a crinoid columnal. 

But I was wondering.. could these be remnants of protrusions that would've run along the central grooves similar to what Arkarua adami has?

My dad suspects that the company we bought the gravel from got it shipped to them from Germany where it's taken from their mountains.

Because that's usually where it comes from.

PS. The pictures aren't set up properly because it took me awhile to get the details in shot.

I will try to update them by also incorporating a proper ruler as soon as possible. :)

Arkarua_adami_pennetta (1).png

Fossil 1 - Copy.png

1 hour ago, non said:

could these be remnants of protrusions that would've run along the central grooves similar to what Arkarua adami has?

I doubt that very much, since the stone would have to be Precambrian/Ediacaran and I don't believe there's anything like that in Germany near the Netherlands.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

7 hours ago, non said:

could these be remnants of protrusions that would've run along the central grooves similar to what Arkarua adami has?

I thought Arkarua was only found in Austrailia. Also notice the triangles are convex in yours and in the illustration whereas the ridge around them is convex in Arkarua but concave in your specimen. If your fossil is an impression of something I still think it would be helpful to make a clay cast from it to get a better idea of what the original looked like.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Hai,Non

zwerfsteen*,echinodermata,most certainly lower paleozoic

*erratic

crinoid columnals tend to be rare in erratics,BTW*

*the opinion of Johannes on that would be intersting,though

groetjes

afbeelding_2021-10-16_082817.png

Edited by doushantuo

There's a possibility it's a Dimerocrinites columnal

edit:pic added