Some sort of stone with a ton of fossil shells?

moodorf

I found this down near the Genesee river here in NY today. It's strange compared to the other fossils (if this is one) I've found out there--instead of a handful of specimens, it seems to be riddled with mostly 2 or 3 different types of small, pistachio-sized sea shells. The outside of the rock is pockmarked where (presumably) shells had made impressions but had fallen out before fossilization. This rock has this sparkling luster in a couple small spots, mostly on the large fossil shell fragment (?) I'm seeing, and a few of these curious grape-like formations. The biggest these white grape like clusters is going down into a shallow earthworm sized cavity into the rock. 

So yeah, I don't even know how I would describe this rock, other than I think it has fossils, and I think it's chert. I also wish I could give you a really nice shot of one of the individual shells, but many of them as you can see are like 2/3 within the rock so it's hard for me to get a handle on their shape. I'm also not super knowledgeable on Fossilized sea shells unfortunately. 

help?

Resized_20211022_224910.thumb.jpeg.4ef731bf90596313bbfc9a415520c0ab.jpeg

Resized_20211022_225649.jpeg

Resized_20211022_225551.jpeg

Resized_20211022_225244.jpeg

Resized_20211022_225214.jpeg

Edited by moodorf

There's a lot going on in that rock!  The sparkly places look like drusy quartz or some kind of mineral.  

My first impression is lots of brachiopod molds in somewhat druzy rock. But I could be completely wrong, though.

Very probably, someone here on TFF is able to recognize it at a glance.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

My first impression is lots of brachiopod molds in somewhat druzy rock. But I could be completely wrong, though.

Very probably, someone here on TFF is able to recognize it at a glance.

Franz Bernhard

I concur.  Looks like chalcedony replacement.

Cool find!  I bet if fluoresces nicely

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana