Tucson Fossil Show 2022 **PHOTOS**

Troodon

These pics really let me know what I missed in the one day I was at the show! I spent more time talking with current and potential clients than I did looking at fossils. :s_cry: Next year, I'm spending more time on the ground in Tucson...

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

These pics really let me know what I missed in the one day I was at the show! I spent more time talking with current and potential clients than I did looking at fossils. :s_cry: Next year, I'm spending more time on the ground in Tucson...

Yeah, I always thought you need three full days to see what you want to look at there.  I used to go regularly from the late 80's to about six years ago - not every year during the past twenty but most of them.  I know many of the fossil dealers and some of the mineral/jewelry dealers through friends so when I have gone, I spend time talking to a lot of people as well as looking at fossils.  The day goes by so fast.  You miss a lot of stuff if you're there for only a day or two.

11 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Yeah, I always thought you need three full days to see what you want to look at there.  I used to go regularly from the late 80's to about six years ago - not every year during the past twenty but most of them.  I know many of the fossil dealers and some of the mineral/jewelry dealers through friends so when I have gone, I spend time talking to a lot of people as well as looking at fossils.  The day goes by so fast.  You miss a lot of stuff if you're there for only a day or two.

Sounds like Sainte Marie is quite a bit smaller then (if it weren't obvious from the photographs yet), as there I feel that one day, though on the narrow side, is enough to both hunt for fossils and meet up with befriended dealers and have a talk here and there. Truth be told, I don't spend excessive amounts of time talking and know where to look for the types of fossils I'm interested in, but even if I didn't two full days would definitely still cut it.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I'm not sure this has been said in a thread about Tucson over the years, but years ago, as in back in the early 80's/70's or sometime before, all the shows in late January and into early February were wholesale shows.  You had to have a tax ID as a dealer to go in a room and buy anything.  Dealers bought at these shows to sell at the "main show" in Tucson which happened over a long weekend in the middle of the month.  The main show was a huge deal and a real feather in the cap of a dealer if chosen to set up there.  You had arrived.  When I started going to Tucson in the late 80's, you wanted to go to the shows and then also be in town for the main show.  There was a lot of great stuff and the aisles were crowded.  The last time I went to the main show was 7-8 years ago.  You could roll a bowling ball down any aisle and not hit anyone.  What a huge difference!  A lot of the people who were there in the 70's have passed away and when dealers at the other shows started selling directly to collectors, you saw fewer highly desirable specimens (fossil or mineral) at the show so fewer people thought it was important to hang out to the end of the show season or fly in just for the main show.  Some people still go remembering the old days.

The general impression of the main show for a dealer was that there was a waiting list.  One of my friends was a dealer who worked a circuit of club shows up and down California along with Denver and Tucson (and the lesser-known September show there) back in the late 80's-late 90's.  He got along great with the club officials.  They liked that he had cheap stuff for kids and that he was polite and personable.  At one point one of the club officials at one of the smaller shows told him he should apply to be a dealer at the main show in Tucson.  He said he knew there was a long waiting list for that and that he was "the new kid."  She impressed upon him to apply.  He applied not expecting anything to happen.  He got paperwork in the mail within a couple of weeks and he was set up at the next main show.  It turned out if the right people liked you, you got in.  It paid to be a nice guy in that situation. 

I saw a little of the old days back then and knew some of those dealers and collectors who were hunting fossils and minerals before I was born.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

@siteseer Thanks for the flashback.  Yep times have changed and the other big change was that the fossil venues/dealers were very close to one another when it was organized by one individual.   Much easier to get around.   Today each venue manages itself and the dealers are everywhere.   

Have been busy at home and not had an opportunity to get down to the show.  Not much new with fossils here are a couple of more photos.

I saw a couple of the dealers packing up.   Looks like a lot a leaving on Sunday.   

Edmontosaurus

P2040645.thumb.JPG.843673d7ef1d783c1d341423a2b963b4.JPG

Hard to see but a nice Triceratops horn

P2040648.thumb.JPG.dc61b3ce66c2e5b27b48ba9405c18c7f.JPG

Replica Hypacrosaurus skull

P2040649.thumb.JPG.73b725bb31f406a1f8206aedbbeeaf1f.JPGP2040650.thumb.JPG.2ab8655d2796a068bb52b16c05b01cbd.JPG

Big tyrannosaurid Tooth from Judith River

P2040651.thumb.JPG.cc4f0ed11e8581eb3e19d28030dfac8b.JPG

Believe this to be a Humerus from an Anzu wyliei

P2040652.thumb.JPG.c6136fbad1ca7e4bcee254c88763094d.JPG

P2040653.thumb.JPG.4cca77529852e999a5771e2f27c8d7f4.JPG

A very poorly done composite of a Spinosaurus hand

P2040646.JPG

P2040647.JPG

• Enjoyed 6
  • Thank You 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:31 AM, LordTrilobite said:

Man, that Spinosaur skull is still so weird with it's bizarre upturned snout. I don't believe that is its natural position.

Asked the dealer where the original skull came from to make the replica and it's just a composite skull by a collector.    

58 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Asked the dealer where the original skull came from to make the replica and it's just a composite skull by a collector.    

yeah that makes sense. Some parts like the lower jaw look pretty good. But other parts look really quite odd.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

@siteseer Thanks for the flashback.  Yep times have changed and the other big change was that the fossil venues/dealers were very close to one another when it was organized by one individual.   Much easier to get around.   Today each venue manages itself and the dealers are everywhere.   

Yeah, "the strip" still exists but not like it used to.  I used to walk from the Desert Inn to the Discovery and find a few specimens along the way.  Great times.

Here are my final photos from the show taken day 1.   Most if not all this material has been sold.   It's at the Sports Complex

M05.jpg.2c508c743c21f6a195192943a952a16f.jpg

All of the material is from Morocco.  Dinosaur mostly from the Kem Kem Group

M02.thumb.jpg.3df1a65807ee39302a2a1cb1059e2fe3.jpg

M03.thumb.jpg.0f67079f4fc53c2a04f63ef6d8570afb.jpg

M01.thumb.jpg.7cb45779a7b44d0c4b0cde09c4c86ad6.jpg

m1.thumb.jpg.26c73cb95dc3376381f8678f8d6a3302.jpg

M2.thumb.jpg.16b60f6da9b358ceeef0abe7af4b9dd6.jpg

Mostly Spinosaurid

M04.thumb.jpg.0b99b6d6d552cbb28904fa642f975d07.jpg

m4.thumb.jpg.9f60aae8b0802dd1101c196eb8b76d1e.jpg

turtle skull

M3.jpg.2a882ea879a3139777a2c36dda48f585.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

20 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

snarge the claw on the second picture looked good, wanted to get that :unsure:

It was sold quite quickly after the dealer opened up.  

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

It was sold quite quickly after the dealer opened up.  

Are you going to check out the main show?  I see it opens on Thursday.

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Are you going to check out the main show?  I see it opens on Thursday.

Not planning to go this year, I do it every couple of years.  Lots of people, tons of children and hardly any worthwhile fossils.  The minerals however are outstanding, some of the best in the world.   Nice just to walk around and just drool.   You can keep the jewelry although the last one the Smithsonian had a few of their gems think one was the Hope Diamond. (lots of guards around).

Hi Frank the Eryops is absolutely  cool. 

the art work on these are really well drafted I love the Mammoth . I bet they are a pretty penny, 

1A42B654-5329-462A-977F-1C35C4654955.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

the art work on these are really well drafted I love the Mammoth . I bet they are a pretty penny, 

Never asked but yes its art.   I also like the Mammoth

• I Agree 1

On 2/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, Phos_01 said:

snarge the claw on the second picture looked good, wanted to get that :unsure:

Don't despair! It might still show up for sale again somewhere soon. A lot of dealers buy on these fairs as well, and their intention, of course, is to sell on, albeit at a higher price... I've already seen some of the bones in the below photograph pop back up for sale, for instance. And I've personally had the experience of being able to buy various pieces I missed out on at Sainte Marie from the dealers that ended up buying them. Not the happiest of solutions, for sure, but a way to get pieces otherwise considered "lost" to other collections ;)

On 2/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, Troodon said:

M04.thumb.jpg.0b99b6d6d552cbb28904fa642f975d07.jpg

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

5 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Don't despair! It might still show up for sale again somewhere soon. A lot of dealers buy on these fairs as well, and their intention, of course, is to sell on, albeit at a higher price... I've already seen some of the bones in the below photograph pop back up for sale, for instance. And I've personally had the experience of being able to buy various pieces I missed out on at Sainte Marie from the dealers that ended up buying them. Not the happiest of solutions, for sure, but a way to get pieces otherwise considered "lost" to other collections ;)

Yep the dealer who bought the claw has an online store.  Not sure if he's keeping it for his collection or selling it privately or through his store

• I found this Informative 2

I overheard a conversation while visiting the Day's Inn, and heard that a vendor had $10 or $12,000 worth of spino claws stolen:shakehead:

Edited by Diplocaulus

5 hours ago, Diplocaulus said:

I overheard a conversation while visiting the Day's Inn, and heard that a vendor had $10 or $12,000 worth of spino claws stolen:shakehead:

Correct, I indicated that on page 7 of this topic.   Worth over what you mentioned.

• Thank You 1

Good news on the stolen claw. When I spoke with Eric he said only one expensive claw was taken and the cabinet had only one missing . The following comments mention two not sure what thats all about.

This was posted by George Winters on FB

Screenshot_20220210-175914_Firefox.thumb.jpg.6dbaa9e6e89c8986aa3498e8b16d3623.jpg

Screenshot_20220210-180202_Firefox.thumb.jpg.3044a749a5173eb39d76502a298cd815.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 2