Making your own hydrogen peroxide. Anyone have experience with this?

Raistlin

As the title says I'm looking to make my own H2O2. It's expensive at least in the concentration I use (35%). Now before anyone says, yes, it can mess you up at that concentration. Always use the proper PPE.

That said MIT has found an easy and portable way to make H2O2 using electricity (solar panels is what they used), water, and air.

As I understand it they use the electricity to add an extra O2 molecule to the water to get the H2O2.

The problem is I keep finding basically the same article but no blueprints. Anyone have access to that information or do I need to start learning hard core chemistry?

The article 

https://news.mit.edu/2019/mit-process-could-make-hydrogen-peroxide-available-remote-places-1023

Robert
Southeast, MO

This is the key sentence:

In this initial proof-of-concept unit, the concentration of hydrogen peroxide produced is still low,

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

You can concentrate it more in 2 ways.

One is heating just above 100⁰C. H2O2 boils at 150⁰C. That's one way to remove water.

The other is freezing. An easier and probably safer method. It takes longer and may require multiple freezes to get the correct concentration though. I think an hour freeze produces something around 20%.

Edited by Raistlin
Edit: changed thing to think.
  • I found this Informative 1

Robert
Southeast, MO

Also to add to my last post. I could buy the normal 3% and concentrate it but the cost to get a decent amount would also cost a lot. 

For instance of cost. I purchased 35% last night for $65 for a gallon (the cost goes down per gallon as you buy more but even two gallons only drops the price to $60 a gallon. Now factor in the fact it has hazmat cost for shipping which were over $17. My total bill for one gallon was almost $83.

Now the only reason I was willing to pay the cost is because I've found that concentrate to be very useful. 12% helps but doesn't do the job 35% does. Overall it's great for cleaning and removing clay and hard to reach dirt as well as staining (like river water staining). It doesn't seem to hurt any of the fossils and works while you are doing other stuff. It can be very dangerous though. It will damage skin and chemically burn you and some matrix causes it to react very violently and reach temps over 200o Fahrenheit so it may physically burn you as well. It also releases O2 but I'd still wear a mask because it's releasing as a steam so some H2O2 may be traveling with it and you really don't want to breath that in. 

Anyway the stuff is great to use and have around. Also in case you really needed it you could dilute it for medical purposes.  

Robert
Southeast, MO