Help to ID what appears to be a tooth root segment from GMR NC

AshHendrick

Found this digging in greens mill run NC the other day - was in stuff that was a mix of the Yorktown and Cretaceous typical for that creek - so found with crow shark, great whites , giant whites , whale bone fragments and ear bones etc.. 

It reminds me in shape of the tooth root chunks I frequently find at gmr of the enchodus but obviously much much much larger than those and the bone on this is much more porous as well though I’m not experienced enough  to know if that’s from aging wear or not, honestly. Anyhow if anyone knows what tooth root segment this might be from or if I’m totally off and maybe it’s something mammal , any assistance is greatly appreciated! Last photo is the stuff I found (and actually kept) in the same area and with a pen  for reference of size.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice finds.  I believe the bone fragment you have is from a vertebra possibly that of a cetacean.  You can see in your second photo the grooves where the epiphysis would sit

1640699594002.jpg.0ca9261f2642a595fdda58377198ec69.jpg

From. Fossilguy

epiphysis-cookies-fossil.jpg.6b1b46b462d5b45cd0667592a8a74d91.jpg

• I Agree 4

Ah!! I totally missed that - you are correct that looks just like the top part of a vert or “sea cookie” even with that pattern! Thanks!! Always funny what the mind can and cannot see sometimes haha!