Exciting Worldwide Volunteer Opportunity for People Interested in Fossils and Paleontology!

Pseudogygites

Hi everyone! I’m currently serving as a materials and programs creator for the Museum of Natural Sciences in Saskatoon, Canada. This means that I make resources and educational content for use virtually and in the museum itself. In addition, I sometimes organize in-person activities and fossil tours for the community. I previously volunteered for the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa. However, I have a lot of ideas that don’t really fit for the museum at this time, and I know of many communities everywhere without access to a natural history museum to provide educational experiences and teach the community about the natural world, including fossils and palaeontology. In addition, the pandemic has shown me how important virtual content can be, no matter the location. For these reasons, I want to start a virtual volunteer initiative to create a “virtual natural history/fossil museum” hosted on various social media accounts that will organize and post all kinds of resources and activities for people around the world to use, drawing on my four years of in-person museum experience as a guide. This would be distinct from the existing virtual fossil museum online, as this initiative would be more focused on targeted, interactive experiences and resources. This will hopefully include classroom resources, live Zoom-based guided fossil activities for classes or groups, informational graphics and brochures, videos, and other exciting, interactive content. I am more than willing to start this initiative on my own, but I know there are many people out there interested in fossils and looking to volunteer for various causes/in need of volunteer hours for academic reasons. If anyone here would be at all interested in collaborating with this initiative in any capacity and for any reason, please respond to this post or DM me! You would decide what you would do, how you would contribute to the project, and how much volunteering you would do and for how long. Thank you!